Backlight unit supplier reportedly selected for Apple's second-gen iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple has reportedly selected another key component supplier for its upcoming second-generation iPad, with the news of a backlight unit suggesting the device's display will once again be LCD.

Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes reported Wednesday that Coretronic has been selected to supply backlight units to Chimei Innolux and LG Display for the screen on the upcoming iPad update. Coretronic will be the sole supplier to CMI, and it will allegedly share the duties with Radiant Opto-Electronics in sending backlights to LG Display.

The report also reaffirmed claims that the next-generation iPad will begin shipping to Apple within 100 days, allowing the company to stock up on supply in time for an April launch.

If true, the inclusion of a backlight in the iPad 2 would finally quash rumors of an OLED display on the forthcoming device, as that display technology does not use a backlight. Numerous reports, including many from DigiTimes itself, have suggested that Apple could employ an OLED screen on its next touchscreen tablet.

Another report from the publication indicated that Apple developed an iPhone with an active matrix OLED display, but ultimately rejected the hardware. It was said that AM-OLED is less suitable for displaying text, and Apple was also concerned about supply issues with the display panels.

In February, a scientific analysis of the Nexus One's OLED screen found that it was soundly beaten by the LCD display on Apple's iPhone 3GS. Dr. Raymond Soneira, president of DisplayMate Technologies, found that the Nexus One's bright, eye-catching display also has lots of noise of artifacts, and doesn't accurately reproduce colors.

The first-generation iPad introduced in-plane switching for Apple's mobile devices on its LCD display. IPS technology allows for improved viewing angles and color reproductions on flat-panel displays.

Shipments of backlight units reportedly hit 6 million in November, up 14 percent from October thanks largely to notebooks and monitors, which accounted for nearly 5 million. Backlights for TVs accounted for just over a million.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    What rumors were there of an OLED or AMOLED? Apple hates them.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, I didn't think for one second it would be anything else.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Can someone jog my memory? Does iPhone 4 use IPS or was that iPad only? And what is the major benefit? Is it better at maintaining color or contrast accuracy at a extreme angles?
  • Reply 4 of 24
    The main problem with the iPad display is the glare.

The new Nexus S is supposed to reduce the glare by 75%.

I think this is wonderful news and the sign that companies better start paying better attention to users eyesight.

I laughed my ass when I saw the Kindle verses iPad commercial, because it's dead on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIrvamOXqxs
  • Reply 5 of 24
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

Can someone jog my memory? Does iPhone 4 use IPS or was that iPad only? And what is the major benefit? Is it better at maintaining color or contrast accuracy at a extreme angles?

IPS is currently iPad only and Its specifically to improve angular view. Im not sure if it helps with contrast, but I've had no viewing issues at all. IPS isn't ideal for iPhone because its a more 'private' device where as the iPad is meant to be a sharing device.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

[/url]

While that is true, i use an anti-glare screen protector for my iPad which reduces 95% while also keep the core screen clean.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post

While that is true, i use an anti-glare screen protector for my iPad which reduces 95% while also keep the core screen clean.

Which costs an additional $40?
  • Reply 8 of 24
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:

I think this is wonderful news and the sign that companies better start paying better attention to users eyesight.

I laughed my ass when I saw the Kindle verses iPad commercial, because it's dead on.

A Kindle is a fantastic dedicated e-reader for that very reason while the iPad is not. I wish the two would stop being compared actually. No serious reader would buy an iPad for dedicated reading.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:

+1

OLED? Ridiculous. Apple has made it clear that they are not interested in this technology.

I am patiently waiting the next iteration of the Ipad. Hoping we will see a Retina like display, reduced weight and camera(s).

Btw the display on the Samsung focus is absolutely gorgeous( super AMOLED), but I do not believe the color saturation is consistent enough with Apples standards to adopt. Or maybe it's still a cost/supply thing.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

IPS is currently iPad only and Its specifically to improve angular view. Im not sure if it helps with contrast, but I've had no viewing issues at all. IPS isn't ideal for iPhone because its a more 'private' device where as the iPad is meant to be a sharing device.

The iPhone has an IPS display too.

from the Apple website:

"The iPhone 4 Retina display uses technology called IPS (in-plane switching) ? the same technology used in the Apple LED Cinema Display and iPad"
  • Reply 11 of 24
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    OLED until the technology out performs the existing technology at the right price.

Gloss screens? Suck lemons no matter what they are on. Manufacturers have used anti-glare for a long time for good reason. errr ... Reducing glare? That hasn't changed one bit no matter what Jobs thinks.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... If true, the inclusion of a backlight in the iPad 2 would finally quash rumors of an OLED display on the forthcoming device, as that display technology does not use a backlight. Numerous reports, including many from DigiTimes itself, have suggested that Apple could employ an OLED screen on its next touchscreen tablet. ...

Only a complete fool would have believed the initial rumours that Apple was developing a 7" OLED iPad in the first place.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:

This is inaccurate. Apple uses IPS panels in all of their computers, on the iPad, the iPhone, and the iPod touch (at least they did the last time I checked).
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

... No serious reader would buy an iPad for dedicated reading.

An no one with any taste or fashion sense would ever use a Kindle (in public).

I have to say though that your statement is too sweeping. I'm a big reader, and a writer, and I use an iPad for reading and prefer it greatly over the Kindle. I've never bought a Kindle, but I've used other people's and I find reading the grey text on the lighter grey background on the Kindle to be very annoying.

The Kindle also doesn't do pictures or typesetting really. You can't read comics on it at all for instance, let alone magazines or art books. I don't want to see a 256 grey-scale representation of an illustration or photograph, I want to see the actual illustration or photograph.

The iPad is far too heavy to be a great reader, but that's it's only fault in that regard (IMO of course). I'm thinking the iPad will get lighter and lighter with each release though, whereas the Kindle, will always be ugly and will always use greyscale eInk.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is inaccurate. Apple uses IPS panels in all of their computers, on the iPad, the iPhone, and the iPod touch (at least they did the last time I checked).

Not iPod touch. It's just a plain retina LCD display.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I hope the next backlight is brighter.

Quote:

I think AMLOED would work out great under a thin piece of glass as the next generation trackpad. Off most of the time displaying nothing but a deep black whilst using no power, but then when needed the display comes to life showing a multi-touch calculator, scrolling stock ticker, system information, finger controllable audio EQ, or whatever one can desire from a touch screen attached to a computer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

So far, IPS is used in the iPhone, iPad, iMacs and LED-backlit Apple Display.

it is not used in any iPod or any Mac notebook. I presume th iPod exclusion is to reduce cost, while the Mac notebooks exclusion is to reduce power usage. IPS still uses significantly more power than TN, but TN was a non-starter for a tablet that would be used on various angles as a reader.

That said, I think the iPad shows that we are finally coming to a point that IPS panels can be made for notebook size displays, but people shouldn?t be discouraged either way because even among TN and IPS panels there is good and bad quality, with Apple?s notebook displays leading the pack whenever tested by AnandTech.

The only company I know of that has tried to re-market IPS panels in notebooks is HP, but I think these are BTO and haven?t seen a single technical review saying if they are worth the once rumoured $500 upgrade cost.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Which costs an additional $40?

And has to be replaced periodically when the technology exists to alter the surface level of the display on the atomic scale to reflect <1% of the glare?

Apple really has no excuse, they are just being cheap.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Must be equally funny (to you) trying to watch that link on a Kindle.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Must be equally funny (to you) trying to watch that link on a Kindle.

• Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

Dunno. Have not seen iPad in wild.

However,

iPhone was the first smartphone which I could use in a direct sunlight.

Quote:

Is it a new magical technology - core screen? I heard only about LCD, LED... etc.

Quote:

Meant to be? Where did you get this information.

Quote:

And has to be replaced periodically when the technology exists to alter the surface level of the display on the atomic scale to reflect <1% of the glare?

Apple really has no excuse, they are just being cheap.

Absolutely! All those glare. My eyes can't deal with it.

http://macmatte.wordpress.com/