Apple offers up to $100 savings on refurbished iPads for limited time

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple this week further reduced the price of its refurbished Wi-Fi iPads, with the entry-level 16GB model now selling for $429, and 32GB for $499 as a "special limited time price."

The new pricing applies only to the Wi-Fi-only models. At $429, the 16GB Wi-Fi iPad is now $20 cheaper than the usual refurbished price, and $70 less than the price of a new model.

Discounts on the higher-capacity iPads are even greater. Customers can buy the Wi-Fi 32GB iPad for $499, a savings of $100 over a new model. Apple is also offering the refurbished 64GB Wi-Fi model at $100 off, for $599.

Apple has not increased its discounts on refurbished 3G models. Those devices are available at $50 off in all three capacities, starting at $579 for the 16GB model.

All refurbished iPads are tested and certified, and come with a 1-year warranty from Apple. They also include a brand new battery and outer shell. Refurbished orders also come with free shipping.

Apple first began selling refurbished iPads in September, with all six models available at a $50 discount. Prior to that, Apple did not offer refurbished iPads, and many retail stores were sold out of the touchscreen tablet for months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Read this as a sign of two things. First, Apple is has a lot of defective iPads they have to fix and sell and second, the iPad is going to be updated at the beginning of the year.

-kpluck
  • Reply 2 of 25
    enohpienohpi Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Read this as a sign of two things. First, Apple is has a lot of defective iPads they have to fix and sell and second, the iPad is going to be updated at the beginning of the year.

-kpluck

Both of your guesses seem consistent with the facts. We'll never know the truth WRT the first, but time will tell WRT the second.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Good, I can pay less to use my new toy. (just kidding)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-mrX...layer_embedded

And according to this video, a iPad with a camera was used by Steve on stage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-94W1Eggw20&feature=fvwk

So I think Apple is milking the iPad 1.0 for all its worth, the new year means a much more mature device (and likely less margins)
  • Reply 4 of 25
    That is a great price for an iPad. The only problem with the iPad is one isn't enough for a family.

Everyone I know who doesn't already have an iPad is getting their family one for Christmas. Many people are getting their family their second iPad for Christmas.

The only downside to buying an iPad now is I expect Apple will drop the price $100 in April when the iPad 2 is released.

Am I going to pay $500 for a second iPad right now, when I think I can get the same thing for $400 in April.? Probably not.

But, am I going to spend $430 for a second iPad right now, when I'll only save $30 by waiting until April? That is much more likely.

I see these refurbished prices being much more palatable for people buying their second or third iPads, and a down-right steal for first time buyers.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Pass. Give me the next thinner, lighter v2 w a front facing camera. Nice try Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Decisions, decisions!
  • Reply 7 of 25
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Which will sell more units this holiday?
    — iPad or Kinect?

— iPad or AppleTV?

— AppleTV or Kinect?

— AppleTV or Kindle?

— KIndle or Galaxay Tab?
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

? iPad or Kinect?

? iPad or AppleTV?

? AppleTV or Kinect?

? AppleTV or Kindle?

? KIndle or Galaxay Tab?

Flame much?
  • Reply 9 of 25
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Pass. Give me the next thinner, lighter v2 w a front facing camera. Nice try Apple.

Offering discounted refurbs is a trick?
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Offering discounted refurbs is a trick?

No.

An enticement for compulsive buying- yes.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

? iPad or Kinect?

? iPad or AppleTV?

? AppleTV or Kinect?

? AppleTV or Kindle?

? KIndle or Galaxay Tab?

iPad

iPad

Kinect

Kindle

Idk - maybe kindle? No sales on Kindle to compare, however.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

No.

An enticement for compulsive buying- yes.

Sales: a sinister Apple invented exploitation of a basic human weakness. Is there no end to their perfidy?
  • Reply 13 of 25
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Flame much?

Says the reborn troll that snarkily remarks Steve Jobs’ liver transplant as his alias. Only one resident troll would stoop that low. Welcome to my ignore list… again.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

iPad

iPad

Kinect

Kindle

Idk - maybe kindle? No sales on Kindle to compare, however.

MS make a hyperbolic remark about the Kinect outselling the iPad. Believable or not, it was the right strategy to create additional buzz. Kinect seems quite popular and well liked by those that I know who have bought it.

I think The Galaxy Tab has the potential of generating a lot of sales this season, with a dramatic drop off to nothing after real Android tablets start popping up.

I think the AppleTV may be a sleeper device. The accessibility of Netflix and the low $99 price makes it a possible stocking stuffer. I bought one for someone in my family who turned around and bought 10 as presents over Harry & David gift baskets for friends and family that use Netflix. It could be a sleeper product.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:

Sales: a sinister Apple invented exploitation of a basic human weakness. Is there no end to their perfidy?

Oh is that the definition of it? I'm just not biting the dangling carrot- that's all.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:

Says the reborn troll that snarkily remarks Steve Jobs’ liver transplant as his alias. Only one resident troll would stoop that low. Welcome to my ignore list… again.

Snarkily nothing. You're trying to incite flame wars on an Apple fansite by asking people if a non- Apple product will beat Apple products in sales over the holidays? That's called pathological.

You're on my ignore list.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:

Oh is that the definition of it? I'm just not biting the dangling carrot- that's all.

Cool. When I elect not to buy something on sale I generally don't post about it, with a satisfied little "nice try." Because that would make me a Seinfeld character.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

Cool. When I elect not to buy something on sale I generally don't post about it, with a satisfied little "nice try." Because that would make me a Seinfeld character.

Elaine? or Newman?
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

Elaine? or Newman?

George.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Read this as a sign of two things. First, Apple is has a lot of defective iPads they have to fix and sell

Defects are part of the reason for these machines but I suspect many of them are just a result of returns. You actually see a high number of people in the various threads talking about returning their iPad. Apple would have to resell these as used or refurbed.

Quote:

and second, the iPad is going to be updated at the beginning of the year.

-kpluck

Yep very soon I would guess. However remember this is the Christmas season and Apple does want to appeal to the cost conscious.

The other thing this highlights in my mind is that Apple has a lot of pricing flexibility with respect to iPad and highlights how much the units with more flash are over priced. IPad 2 will likely address this with more flash memory at similar price points.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Says the reborn troll that snarkily remarks Steve Jobs? liver transplant as his alias. Only one resident troll would stoop that low. Welcome to my ignore list? again....

Quote:

Snarkily nothing. You're trying to incite flame wars on an Apple fansite by asking people if a non- Apple product will beat Apple products in sales over the holidays? That's called pathological.

You're on my ignore list.

So much for ignore lists