Apple owes Steve Jobs some money: $37.91

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Steve Jobs has some unclaimed property, ranging from unclaimed wages at Apple to shares of IBM and Time Warner as well as unclaimed annuity and insurance checks.

Apple's chief executive probably isn't hurting for it, but the billionaire has a $37.91 check due from the company he manages, according to the State of California's unclaimed property search website.

There's also $0.20 worth of dividends from Time Warner waiting for Jobs, along with two shares of IBM and one share of Time Warner. IBM also owes Jobs unclaimed income, although the total is only around $35.

There are also a few hundred dollars in insurance and annuity checks that Jobs has yet to claim.

The extent of Jobs' unclaimed riches is detailed for the public thanks to California's Unclaimed Property Law, which "requires corporations, businesses, associations, financial institutions, and insurance companies to annually report and deliver property to the California State Controller's Office after there has been no activity on the account or contact with the owner for a period of time specified in the law - generally three years or more."

To claim his property, Jobs only needs to file paperwork with the state, which can now be done online.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    It's probably going to cost Jobs more than $37.91 to cash that check (having to hire somebody to do it for him).
  • Reply 2 of 22
    I have a feeling Steve is probably more concerned about his address showing on that page then the $37.91 he's got coming to him. I'm not even rich and I know I would be! \
  • Reply 3 of 22
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Wow, I wish the company I work for owed me 37 years of pay.

• Reply 4 of 22
    In other news, according to Google Maps it takes Steve about 19 minutes to get to the main Apple campus in Cupertino from home. Provided traffic is good.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by James Beatty View Post

In other news, according to Google Maps it takes Steve about 19 minutes to get to the main Apple campus in Cupertino from home. Provided traffic is good.

Less if you speed (Steve's been ticketed before)
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Actually, the address listed is of the spooky house that Steve Jobs owns where he no longer lives. Just looked up on Google.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Steve Jobs has some unclaimed property, ranging from unclaimed wages at Apple to shares of IBM and Time Warner as well as unclaimed annuity and insurance checks.

Apple's chief executive probably isn't hurting for it, but the billionaire has a $37.91 check due from the company he manages, according to the State of California's unclaimed property search website.

There's also $0.20 worth of dividends from Time Warner waiting for Jobs, along with two shares of IBM and one share of Time Warner. IBM also owes Jobs unclaimed income, although the total is only around $35.

There are also a few hundred dollars in insurance and annuity checks that Jobs has yet to claim.

The extent of Jobs' unclaimed riches is detailed for the public thanks to California's Unclaimed Property Law, which "requires corporations, businesses, associations, financial institutions, and insurance companies to annually report and deliver property to the California State Controller's Office after there has been no activity on the account or contact with the owner for a period of time specified in the law - generally three years or more."

To claim his property, Jobs only needs to file paperwork with the state, which can now be done online.

My heart bleeds for him.let Jobs give it to the Liver Foundation where he got his new liver.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Who cares?
  • Reply 9 of 22
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Wow, I wish the company I work for owed me 37 years of pay.

• Reply 10 of 22
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Apple Inc. must not have tried to hard to find the people they owe money to. If my employer owes me money, they send me a check via interoffice mail. It would suck if I had to prowl public databases to find it.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ohcomeon View Post

Who cares?

obviously a slow news day...
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Apple Inc. must not have tried to hard to find the people they owe money to. If my employer owes me money, they send me a check via interoffice mail. It would suck if I had to prowl public databases to find it.

The webpage does not say since when the amount is owed. If Steve did not cash the check for a specified period of time after it was sent to him, Apple has a legal obligation to turn the money over to the state. Oh yes the state gets to make interest on the money and Steve and Apple both loose.

It would be interesting to find out what the money is for.

JDS
  • Reply 13 of 22
    I just don't believe it. Is nothing sacred? Could somebody please tell me, why oh why, this information has any relationship with what we, the sane and the sensible, consider to be news. My opinion of journalists often gets fairly low, but this is an all-time record. Even Steve Jobs is entitled to some privacy, to try to justify the publication of this rubbish is an impossible task.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Anyone notice it says "Apple Computer Inc" and not "Apple Inc"? Just another indication as to the age.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    This kind of news is starting to look like stalking. Who goes around searching a state's unclaimed property rolls for info about people with whom they have no personal connection?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Maybe he should donate it to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by James Beatty View Post

I have a feeling Steve is probably more concerned about his address showing on that page then the $37.91 he's got coming to him. I'm not even rich and I know I would be! \

That's what I was thinking. Hopefully, he has a good security team to protect him 24/7 from anyone paying him a visit.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    The other tech and biz news are on this too. For f*&^% love....

http://www.google.com/search?q=37.91...24b41ba0d4cfd8
  • Reply 19 of 22
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Maybe he should donate it to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

You know, SerialTroll, if you donated the time you spend on AI, under an endless string of banned aliases, making inane comments and playing the fool, to a worthwhile cause, instead of using it for the pointless and selfish purpose of obtaining whatever twisted gratification it is you seek by your behavior here, you might actually be able to make a positive contribution to the world, instead of wasting your life being a jerk.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emerge3d View Post

obviously a slow news day...

Searching for famous names among those owed in California's unclaimed property list has been a parlor game for many years, especially since it went online. Lots of deceased celebrities turn up in the list.