Costco enters 'mutual agreement' to stop selling Apple products

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Oh no! I spend 4x more at Costco than any other store (including the local grocery stores).

In fact if I actually totaled receipts instead of a just quick scan of my Amex totals, it may really be

"spend more than 4x the next TWO combined stores!"

Not a good move by Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

Wait, I actually had to double-take when I read your post. You actually don't shop at places because of some political contributions? I know Jobs and probably 90% of employees at Apple swing way to the left politically (I don't btw), but I still buy the shit out of Apple products and own stock with the company. Why? Because their products are excellent and the company is run well, period. I don't care if SJ shows up at a gay-day parade wearing a dress, I'm still going to enjoy my iPhone and keep buying stock. What the heck does it matter that a company give to certain political parties (btw Target donated to BOTH parties).

Come on, man, really?

But to get back to the topic, less exposure for Apple products is less exposure, therefore making this decision to cut ties with Costco, a bad one IMHO.

Well considering Target was founded by the Dayton Department store company, and the Dayton family is some of the absolute most liberal politicians in the country - from Minnesota. Its not hard to imagine Target leaning very left.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

Oh no! I spend 4x more at Costco than any other store (including the local grocery stores).

In fact if I actually totaled receipts instead of a just quick scan of my Amex totals, it may really be

"spend more than 4x the next TWO combined stores!"

Not a good move by Apple.

Because your spending habits rule? I gave up my Costco card, since I hardly ever used it.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Not same here. You would have to compare the sales numbers to see if your perceptions match reality. My guess is they don't. Apple wouldn't pull out of Costco if they made money there.

Costco does behave a little differently then other stores. They had a fight with coke because coke gave someone else better terms and costco found out. They stopped selling coke until coke gave them the same terms. Most certainly this is the same kind of thing and Apple will not relent.

Just guessing... Walmart got the better terms.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by htoelle View Post

Reply -*- REPLY-*- Reply -*- REPLY -*- Reply

Costco is also here in Canada. There are ways that this move pleases me because Costco Canada or at our least our local warehouse in East Ontario does not have the type of staff who have the training or the mental agility to sell anything save what can be taken off the shelf and handed to a customer. The buyer is not being well served by this type of super market clerk type selling.

I have actually stood along side a person being spoken to by a Costco employee about an Apple computer. Quote " I do not know much about them machines, I guess they work fine. " Close quote.

I do not know about you but that gives me a feeling of security and adequate post sale follow up and support. In a Pig's eye !!

PS I sure hope a person from Costco reads this also.

Costco probably has 30,000 different items, Target probably 100,000 different items. A store employee can't be an expert on them all. Tell me what kind of job you have and I will give you a perfect analogy.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:

Wait, I actually had to double-take when I read your post. You actually don't shop at places because of some political contributions? I know Jobs and probably 90% of employees at Apple swing way to the left politically (I don't btw), but I still buy the shit out of Apple products and own stock with the company. Why? Because their products are excellent and the company is run well, period. I don't care if SJ shows up at a gay-day parade wearing a dress, I'm still going to enjoy my iPhone and keep buying stock. What the heck does it matter that a company give to certain political parties (btw Target donated to BOTH parties).

Come on, man, really?

But to get back to the topic, less exposure for Apple products is less exposure, therefore making this decision to cut ties with Costco, a bad one IMHO.

Thats because you have no values and you spend your money blindly. The only way to change something, is voting, and not in a voting booth, but with your wallet.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I think this is a huge mistake by Apple and a very short-sited decision. Costco is one of the few retails positively perceived by shoppers.

Costco staff are incompetent at selling computer systems, in general, let alone Apple products. The stuff Costco stocks is becoming more and more generic.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Total World Wide stores:

Costco: 563

Best Buy: > 1150

Apple Store: 323+

Target: > 1743

Radio Shack: > 4,653 stores, > 688 kiosks, > 1408 deal outlets

There are many other outlets for Apple than what I've listed.

Costco didn't house much Apple products and with these other outlets it's not hard to see that Apple doesn't need them.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

Just guessing... Walmart got the better terms.

I guess that most of Apple customers do not shop at Walmart.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Costco is tiny taters and has no business making any demands of apple. Besides, I don't shop at any store that is a "club." What? I'm supposed to feel special, pay them a membership and then buy stuff in quantities that practiically force me over-consume? No thanks. I don't get why people are addicted to any retailer. You can buy most stuff anywhere and the savings are usually not what they're cracked up to be. Every time I price-compare walmart with amazon walmart comes out on the short end.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I think this is a huge mistake by Apple and a very short-sited decision. Costco is one of the few retails positively perceived by shoppers.

I completely disagree, Costco treats their shoppers like cattle.

I quit going there after being yelled at by one of there customer herders for going through the wrong door. I threw my Costco card at the manager and never went back.

Costco can stuff it, they sell cheaply made crap that does not belong on the same shelf as Apple products.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    This is just grandstanding so that they can get the iPad. Costco sells the crap out of iPods here in AZ.

Although with this economy, Costco is less competitive, due to other retailers lowering their prices. You used to be able to get a lot of stuff there you can't anywhere else, but not so much anymore.

If they dump each other, it will be only for a couple of years.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Quote:

I don't care if SJ shows up at a gay-day parade wearing a dress, I'm still going to enjoy my iPhone and keep buying stock.

What if he was a child molester? People can tolerate different things to varying degrees. Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but everyone has their own set of moral standards that can't be crossed. If the OP wants to make his opposition known by boycotting he's not wrong or stupid for doing it; that's completely subjective.

On the other hand when one is against opposition in itself, that's a bit more dangerous. For example it's illegal in the US to organize any boycotts against Israel . . .
  • Reply 34 of 47
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

What if he was a child molester? People can tolerate different things to varying degrees. Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but everyone has their own set of moral standards that can't be crossed. If the OP wants to make his opposition known by boycotting he's not wrong or stupid for doing it; that's completely subjective.

On the other hand when one is against opposition in itself, that's a bit more dangerous. For example it's illegal in the US to organize any boycotts against Israel . . .

Can you give some proof for that last statement?
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Costco staff are incompetent at selling computer systems, in general, let alone Apple products. The stuff Costco stocks is becoming more and more generic.

I think this story is being blown out of proportion. I bought my iPod touch at Costco and there was a decent discount. But I believe they were only selling iPods. No computers, iPads, or even iPhones? Not sure about that last item. Anyhow we are basically talking about portable media players. How much technical expertise would really be used?

When the battery started to underperform I went across town and into the foothills to the very inconveniently located Apple Store to solve the problem. All Apple did there was swap it out (for a reconditioned iPod) and I restored from my backup. That much might have been done at Costco. But the point is they were just a kiosk for iPods. They were probably a victim of Apple's new iPod kiosk, Wal-Mart. It fits their profile
  • Reply 36 of 47

deleted

• Reply 37 of 47
    Too bad... our family likes shopping at Costco (plus other retailers) and their return policy / warranty is pretty good on electronics...

Now I hope Costco drops the price even more to blow out the inventory quickly. I want a new 4G iPod Touch (32GB).
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

It's so bizarre and sad that an explanation is in order.

I wonder if it has to do with Apple not wanting to cede to Costco's generous return policy.

No, it's because Apple doesn't want to sell iPads in packs of 8.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Costco members spend a lot of money at Costco. This is generally because their return policy is so good and because they have great deals most of the time. Anyone I talk to tells me they cannot get out of Costco under $100-200. Why would Apple not want that kind of customer looking at their products? I am disappointed. Read somewhere that Apple sells billions through Costco, not sure about the number though. Bought an ipod and a Mac Mini there myself. The mini came bundled with Bluetooth Keyboard, Bluetooth Mouse and Apple Care for about the same as a mini all by itself on the Apple Store. Sad to see that those kind of deals will not be returning...
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Does anyone really think this will matter?

Apple has its own stores and the iPad is already such a coveted and well-known product, it doesn't really need to be in these stores anyway, does it?

A product like this with such a huge tailwind pushing it forward doesn't really have to play with the big-box boys. Apple's definitely got the advantage here, and there's a certain cachet that it loses even being at Walmart or Costco. For months, they literally couldn't MAKE ENOUGH to keep up with demand.