Best Buy rumored to sell free Apple iPhone 3GS Friday, Dec. 10

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The 8GB iPhone 3GS, regularly available for $99 in the U.S. with a two-year AT&T contract, will reportedly be available for free at Best Buy in a promotion scheduled for Friday.

The one-day-only sale will occur on Friday, Dec. 10 at the company's U.S. retail stores, according to Boy Genius Report. The deal applies to the sole iPhone 3GS model Apple sells, with an 8GB capacity.

"This offer is valid to both new lines, additional lines, and also qualified upgrades," the report said. "We have been told that all stores have inventory levels to support the promotion, and it's an instant rebate type deal."

As is standard, the promotion will require a new two-year contract in order to receive the subsidized and promotional price. There has not been any indication that Best Buy will also discount the newer iPhone 4.

Apple's iPhone is typically not discounted beyond the subsidized rates offered through AT&T and Apple directly. But the alleged Best Buy promotion marks the second time in less than a week that the iPhone has been uncharacteristically discounted.

On Saturday, AppleInsider revealed that Radio Shack was offering $50 off all current iPhone models, including the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS, in a one-week sale. The retailer also upped the value of its trade-in program, offering a $125 credit for trading in a working iPhone 3GS.

Combined with the $50 instant savings, Radio Shack's deal offers customers who trade in an iPhone 3GS a new 16GB iPhone 4 for just $25, or a 32GB iPhone 4 for $125, before taxes and standard activation fees.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    I may pick up one of these for my son tomorrow. Great deal.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    How about I keep my $20 phone and continue to pay $10-$40 a month depending upon use?

How much am I saving now?

Enough to buy a new MacBook Pro. That's how much!
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

How about I keep my $20 phone and continue to pay $10-$40 a month depending upon use?

Sounds like a good idea, but why are you following a product you have no use for?
  • Reply 4 of 24
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Oh no! Free activation counted into the mix. Why hasn't anyone on here cried - FOUL!

Will SJ mention this at his next distortion field presentation?
  • Reply 5 of 24
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    More interesting is who exactly is absorbing the discount on these promotions. Apple? Not likely. The retailer or AT&T? Either, possibly, or a combination.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

More interesting is who exactly is absorbing the discount on these promotions. Apple? Not likely. The retailer or AT&T? Either, possibly, or a combination.

I'd say BB- get someone in the store and if the line is too long or they sell out they'll still wind up buying something else. LCD LED 3D TV anyone?
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

I'd say BB- get someone in the store and if the line is too long or they sell out they'll still wind up buying something else. LCD LED 3D TV anyone?

Exactly... they want to get people in the store... that's why they aren't doing an online promotion... as long as they can get you in the store, you're more apt to buy something else.. even if it is just a movie or some other item.

Good move by best buy...
  • Reply 8 of 24
    or is it because ATT was recently rated the suckiest service by Consumer Reports?!?!
  • Reply 9 of 24
    enohpienohpi Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The 8GB iPhone 3GS, regularly available for $99 in the U.S. with a two-year AT&T contract, will reportedly be available for free at Best Buy in a promotion scheduled for Friday.

Apple always does the competition one better. Android runs half-price BOGO sales to try to jigger the activation figures, and what does Steve do in response?

He outflanks Google and gives away the phones for free!

The only way that Google will be able to respond is to start paying YOU for taking one of their "cheap" Android phones. (Those Androids don't sound so cheap anymore, eh? The iPhone is FREE which is better than any Android specs.)
  • Reply 10 of 24
    "sell free"?

Change the title. Embarassing... to the author. I am not writer/publisher and English is my second (or third) language, but you gotta pay attention to meaning of words and phrases.

Shouldn't it be "give away free"?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manzanaboy View Post

or is it because ATT was recently rated the suckiest service by Consumer Reports?!?!

When was Best Buy bought by AT&T? Because this story has absolutely nothing to do with that.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

"sell free"?

Change the title. Embarassing... to the author. I am not writer/publisher and English is my second (or third) language, but you gotta pay attention to meaning of words and phrases.

I think 'headlines' are a class of their own when it comes to normal language.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

I'm with you Mark. I'll stick with my $40/year cell phone, my $40/month Virgin unlimited 3G service, and my Skype $30/year unlimited service. AT&T can keep its overpriced two year contract and Best Buy can keep its phone.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Don't know about the other chap, but I have a use for the product, just not AT&T. I use iPhone on T-Mobile and save about $60 a month. Further, I own Apple stock so every news story is of some interest.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

Sounds like a good idea, but why are you following a product you have no use for?

• Reply 15 of 24
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Must be a sign that iOS is flopping if they are giving phones away for free./sarcasm What's that other OS that's also giving away smartphones for free? (and I love how everybody forgets about the two year ball and chain that comes with the "free" phones).

Forget making it one day. This should become a regular occurrence. And hopefully, there'll come a point where Apple might be compelled to discount its last-gen hardware to $0 (on-contract) to compete for marketshare. That would be a good day for all consumers. And you can thank Android for providing the competition that might make this a reality.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enohpI View Post

Apple always does the competition one better. Android runs half-price BOGO sales to try to jigger the activation figures, and what does Steve do in response?

He outflanks Google and gives away the phones for free!

The only way that Google will be able to respond is to start paying YOU for taking one of their "cheap" Android phones. (Those Androids don't sound so cheap anymore, eh? The iPhone is FREE which is better than any Android specs.)

But I thought giving away phones for free was bad? So now it's good?

And as for "cheap". This is last gen tech. There's no way an iPhone 3GS is competitive with the latest Androids out right now. And that's precisely why it should be free on-contract....because it competes in the pool of outdated gear (like older model or lower performing Androids which are given away for free).
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Don't know about the other chap, but I have a use for the product, just not AT&T. I use iPhone on T-Mobile and save about $60 a month. Further, I own Apple stock so every news story is of some interest.

It annoys me when people pull something out of the clear blue sky just to add something negative. It's a promotion by best buy, it's a nice thing, and I don't understand why someone would use it as a way to say "look at me I'm better than everyone because I dont use a smartphone". It's a nonsequiter at best.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

"sell free"?

You took the words outta my mouth. Proofreaders are no longer required options.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

"sell free"?

No, it's indeed 'sell.' Getting the phone itself for 'free' requires you to buy (i.e., for them to sell you) a two-year contract.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No, it's indeed 'sell.' Getting the phone itself for 'free' requires you to buy (i.e., for them to sell you) a two-year contract.

No, the OP is correct. If you get the device for nothing, it's free. There is no sale. No money exchanged hands. It is indeed free and you don't sell something for free. You give it away. If my local car dealer gave away free cars in the hopes that you'll buy gas from him, they're still free. It can sit in my driveway and not go anywhere but it's still free. It was given away, not sold.

What people do with their given away free phones after they leave the shop is their business. Of course the vast majority will opt for a paid plan but there are those who will consider jailbreaking or who just want a piece of history. It's free for them. AFAIK there is no requirement that you concurrently purchase a two-year plan...unless I missed the fine print. in which case I apologize profusely for trying to split hairs.