Apple suppliers say iPad 2 to have front and rear cameras

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Component suppliers for Apple's iPad are planning to begin a new round of iPad production in the first quarter of 2011, with one source saying that the next-generation iPad will have front- and back-mounted cameras, a new report claims.

Reuters reported Friday that sources claim the next-gen iPad will sport dual cameras, and could begin production as early as the first quarter of 2011.

The report further confirms the likelihood of a FaceTime-capable iPad, as reported by AppleInsider in September. Additionally, on Thursday, new iPad cases were spotted with cutouts for a rear-facing camera and space for what could be an SD card slot.

Reuters' sources pegged touchscreen chip designer Wintek Corp, battery maker Simplo Technology and AVY Precision, "an unlisted maker of covers for electronic products," as suppliers for the next batch of iPads.

Camera component suppliers Genius Electronic Optical Co and Largan Precision Co were also reportedly starting new "supply deals" with Apple, though sources were unable to confirm for which products.

The report lined up with what RBS analyst Steven Tseng has been hearing. "It makes sense for these suppliers to begin delivering their goods in February," he said. "I think Steve Jobs will announce the new product in January, and we should see the new product hitting shops in about April."

Other reports from sources close to Apple's Asian-based component suppliers have also predicted a Q1 2011 production date for the next-gen iPad. Earlier this week, Taiwan industry publication DigiTimes reported that Foxconn will begin shipping the iPad 2 within the next 100 days. The publication also released a similar report naming potential suppliers for the next iPad in November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Apple will introduce iPad 2 2-3 weeks before release just like the iPhone and iPods in the past. If it's scheduled to be released March-April I highly doubt Apple will introduce it that too far out to hurt the current iPad's sales even though Apple is expected to slow down production of the current iPad in Q1. iPad 2 is a brand new model but the iPad line isn't a brand new product anymore.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Anyone who thinks Apple Will show off the iPad 2 three months ahead of launch should not be trusted.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Yet another clueless "analyst". Do these guys get paid to come up with this drivel?

So Jobs will announce in January, but it won't go on sale until April? Chances of that happening are ZERO, and any knucklehead (apparently other than this one) knows it. It would be suicide for the current iPad to announce a new one with additional features months before it's available. Sales of the current model would tank.

I'd love to hear a few of this joker's stock picks. I'd play them the opposite of whatever his crystal ball tells him. AI shouldn't even print crap like this.. though it does generate traffic and dozens of comments, so perhaps that's all they care about.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    I think most of us think there's going to be a camera(s) on the next iPad. Analysts as usually don't have a clue about features or time frame.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Rumors. garbage, worthless hearsay.................Thats all these rumors add up too. there's no substantiation to any of this.

Cameras would be a given in an upcoming new IPAD. However be assured that the new IPAD will pack something really good in it.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    The news sites are chock full of 'next iPad will be much better and coming soon' stories. Seems to me like a concertive effort to try and take the wind out of iPad xmas sales. Much like I feel the majority of Verizon stories were crafted behind the scenes to keep customers continuous in the hope that iPhone would grace their carrier.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonatan View Post

Anyone who thinks Apple Will show off the iPad 2 three months ahead of launch should not be trusted.

You mean exactly as they did with both the original iPhone and the iPad?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

jonatan clearly said iPad 2. As Big KC and Wurm5150 said, the iPad is no longer a completely new product line so announcing that there will be a new one 3 months ahead would kill sales of the current model. With the original iPad or iPhone, there was no 'current model' to kill sales of. Also, unlike a phone, in which you want to give time for consumers to consider due to being locked into contracts, iPads don't have contracts (that I know of).

It would be wise to announce when it is ready, not before.

As usual, analysts regurgitate what people already know, or pretend to know something new but they are actually just completely guessing (with a few genuine exceptions).
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:

The key word being "original".

With the original products, it really doesn't matter if Apple announces it 1 month or 3 months early. But, when you have a product like the iPad on the market and Apple announces in January that the iPad 2.0 with dual cores, multiple cameras, 20 hours of battery life and a higher resolution screen is coming out in June. They just killed sales for the next 6 months. Is it really that hard to understand?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Who cares about a damn front and rear camera seriously! How many gadgets do you need with a cam?? The real thing that should matter is the retina display and the sd card in my opinion and the damn price!!
  • Reply 11 of 27
    As the specifications for devices that use the mobile phone cell network have to be filed with regulators well in advance these devices have to be announced further ahead than computers.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Completely different, as others already have pointed out. When announcing the first version of a product it only kills sales of competitors. Now it would kill iPad sales as well.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    And there's a weird opening too, my guess it's for various ports; Ethernet, USB, SD perhaps?

http://gizmodo.com/5710405/what-is-t...d-ipad-2-cases

Multiple case colors?
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Why is this worthy as news ? It's a given that it will have at least a front facing camera for Face.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    It?s a good thing we complained on this forum and that other HW vendors made promotional animation videos of what they?d like to release or we may not be getting any updates to the iPad next year¡ Thanks to all of you.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

...Ethernet...

Even Keanu knows you're not trying.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andro101010 View Post

As the specifications for devices that use the mobile phone cell network have to be filed with regulators well in advance these devices have to be announced further ahead than computers.

The FCC will get it's hands on it maybe next month but as usual Apple will put a 90 days or whatever for the FCC to black it out from the public like they've done in the past.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    I would tend to think that the cases/covers are not legit. I say this because remember when the IPHONE 4 came out, there were no cases that were based on exact specs of the phone. There were no specs released. So why would there already be cases made for the next gen iPad.. Just my thoughts on the matter
  • Reply 19 of 27
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Except for FaceTime usage cameras are meaningless on an iPad like device. They are an addition that is easy to talk about because nobody cares! If people really want generate consummer interest they need to spill the beans on the internals.

That is info onthe screen, processors and other features that directly impact the user experience. It is almost like we are being feed useless info just to keep interest in the iPad high. In other words talking about cameras may reveal nothing of significance but it does churn the rumor mills.

As to releasing iPad 2 100 days before it goes on sale I have to agree with others, this guy is off his rocker. I'm expecting iPad 2 to double performance so whO would even bother with the old unit if they knew a 2X more useful machine is already announced.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post

I would tend to think that the cases/covers are not legit. I say this because remember when the IPHONE 4 came out, there were no cases that were based on exact specs of the phone. There were no specs released. So why would there already be cases made for the next gen iPad.. Just my thoughts on the matter

They got a hold of one of the iPad 2 parts particularly and probably the outer aluminum shell or whatever the iPad 2 cover is. And then from that it made it a bit easier to guesstimate.. How did they get a hold of those parts? This is China were talking about here. Where knowing some people who knows some people that knows some people who robbed some people will get you what you need.

That's just my guess..