Apple's first retail store is pilgrimage site for fans

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's first retail store in Glendale, Calif., has attained cult status, as passionate fans of the company frequent the site solely because of its status as Apple Store No. 1.

The Apple Store at Glendale Galleria actually opened the same day as another store in Virginia, but the Glendale store is listed as the first in Apple's rankings. As profiled by Reuters, the "unassuming" and "uncool" location still attracts attention from fans of the Mac maker.

"Some visitors return home and brag online about purchasing gear at the Glendale branch, part of a vigorous game of one-upsmanship about the number and quality of the Apple stores they have visited," author Sarah McBride wrote.

She continued: "To find the Glendale store, customers navigate past a crowded food court, ascend a run-of-the-mill escalator, and search out the familiar silver Apple among neighbors like a discount men's suit shop and a teen-fashion retailer."

That's a stark contrast from Apple's latest flagship megastore in Shanghai, which has a giant cylindrical glass entrance housing stairs that take visitors down to the store below ground. And Apple's Fifth Avenue location in Manhattan is the most profitable store in the district.

Because of the store's distinction as the first Apple retail outlet, employees also reportedly request transfers from other stores so they can work in Glendale. And some customers also said the employees at the Glendale store seem more knowledgable about the products because of it.

The first Apple stores opened on May 19, 2001 in McLean, Virginia, at the Tyson's Corner Mall, as well as the Galleria store in Glendale. The retail side of Apple's business has become an important part of the growth of the Mac, as the company reports every quarter that about half of all Macs sold in retail stores are to customers who never owned a Mac before.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    OK, even as an unabashed fanboy, that's a little much.

Besides, everyone knows that the 5th Ave store is Mecca.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I believe the word is: idiots
  • Reply 3 of 62
    I've never understood people who are into collectibles and such things.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

I've never understood people who are into collectibles and such things.

If not your own, there are a lot of wives and mothers that could explain it to you.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    I'm taking the family there for Christmas. Grandma is in bad shape, and the doctors say she should be moved, but dangit, she needs to see this before she dies, even if she begs and pleads with me not to bring her.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    I visited what I guess you would call the company store on the Apple campus in 1996 shortly before Steve Jobs returned from exile. It was like a pilgrimage. Among the items I bought was an analog watch with a multicolored Apple logo for a second hand that seemed to float. Does anyone know if there is still a company store? That was the real first Apple store.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

OK, even as an unabashed fanboy, that's a little much.

Yeah... sadly agree... but would also like to see the China stores for a more modern pilgrimage.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I'm taking the family there for Christmas. Grandma is in bad shape, and the doctors say she should be moved, but dangit, she needs to see this before she dies, even if she begs and pleads with me not to bring her.

I don't think I've laughed so hard at an AI post... Hilarious.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCad View Post

I visited what I guess you would call the company store on the Apple campus in 1996 shortly before Steve Jobs returned from exile. It was like a pilgrimage. Among the items I bought was an analog watch with a multicolored Apple logo for a second hand that seemed to float. Does anyone know if there is still a company store? That was the real first Apple store.

yup, it's still there

http://www.apple.com/companystore/
  • Reply 10 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCad View Post

Yes the company store is still there at 1 Infinite Loop and open to the public.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    I made the pilgrimage to Glendale for the grand opening.

At the time it was revolutionary.

Now every Apple Store is just a clone that you've seen before.

It is only worth it to go to a flag ship grand opening.

Glendale is store #1 because it was scouted first before Tyson's Corner.

Store #0 was in a warehouse near Cupertino.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    Glendale Galleria is a dump.. The Apple Store looks really out of place in that mall.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Glendale Galleria is a dump.. The Apple Store looks really out of place in that mall.

So much for the theory that Apple only goes to Class A shopping centers.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    had always heard that tyson's corner in mclean was the first store...guess it's technically store #2?
  • Reply 15 of 62
    I'll be at Microsoft's first retail store tonight doing the Electric Slide.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    That's sad!
  • Reply 17 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Well it IS a giant cube
  • Reply 18 of 62
    my god thatz lame. but slightly less lame and more interesting than going to look at a rock in mecca or a bit of fabric in turin...
  • Reply 19 of 62
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ratay1 View Post

had always heard that tyson's corner in mclean was the first store...guess it's technically store #2?

As mentioned above, I believe they both opened the same day. Since Virginia is three hours ahead of California, I suspect the Tyson's store was the first one open to the general public. One had better shop at both to cover your Apple-nerd-cred bases.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

yup, it's still there

http://www.apple.com/companystore/

Interesting note on that page: "While we don't sell computers or have on-site support or repairs, we are the only place in the world that sells Apple logo t-shirts, caps and accessories."

I never thought about that before. Apple intentionally does not clutter up their stores with t-shirts and Apple-branded knickknacks. They would sell like hotcakes but completely change the feel of the stores. But you'd think the that giant stores would at least have an add-on room to sell stuff like that. Every other tourist attraction has a gift shop.