alt.country

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've recently been very into the alt.country music scene. Wilco, Son Volt, Uncle Tupelo (the previous two's daddy), Hank III, a little Mojo Nixon and Ryan Adams thrown in for good measure.

Who am I Missing? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Steve Earle, Kieran Kane, The Backsliders
  • Reply 2 of 33
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Groverat...is there ANYTHING you don't listen too :o
  • Reply 3 of 33
    thoth2thoth2 Posts: 277member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>I've recently been very into the alt.country music scene. Wilco, Son Volt, Uncle Tupelo (the previous two's daddy), Hank III, a little Mojo Nixon and Ryan Adams thrown in for good measure.

Who am I Missing? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Most of those guys, to me at least, are more roots rock, but I won't quibble w/ classification. How about some of the guys who've been around for a while, like Robert Earle Keen, and the dearly departed Townes Van Zandt? What are your parameters for inclusion? I'll be more helpful w/ more guidance.

Thoth
  • Reply 4 of 33
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    I got into this scene back when I first heard Uncle Tupelo in the early 90's. Old 97's, Jayhawks and Bottle Rockets might interest you. Check out The Waco Brothers at: <a href="http://www.bloodshotrecords.com/"; target="_blank">Bloodshot Records</a>. Also take a look at The Handsome Family <a href="http://www.carrottoprecords.com/artists/handsome/index.html"; target="_blank">Carrot Top Records</a>.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Don't forget the Derailers! Also, there's some of the older, pre "Car Wheels..." Lucinda Williams stuff.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    I can't believe I forgot The Derailers. I love thier version of Raspberry Beret. I define the category in iTunes now as Americana. I keep expanding the definition. It now includes Steve Earle, Robert Earl Keen, Jimmy Dale Gilmore, Townes Van Zandt, Lucinda, Emmylou, Junior Brown, Billy Joe Shaver and is still growing.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Actually, that is the best kind of music going right now. Why? It's more rock than rock, and often more country than country. At least in how modern Top 40 radio defines "rock" and "country".

I can't tell you the last time I actually heard a country song on a country station! I think pedal steels have been outlawed from Hot New Country 94.7FM or whatever...

You also have people like Iris Dement, Gillian Welch and Rosie Flores who are really good too.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>Actually, that is the best kind of music going right now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Now that's music to my ears.

There are a whole bunch of good artists on Bloodshot... Alejandro Escovedo (who we opened for once! Woo!). Neko Case. Sally Timms (we cover one of hers). Even Jerry Garcia was doing some very cool stuff outside of the Dead not long before he died.

The Backsliders... would that be Bo Ramsey and the Backsliders, or another group with the same name?

I don't know if Split Lip Rayfield or Jon Wayne qualify as alt country - they're more cowpunk - but I'll add them anyway.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    pscates, you keep reminding me of everyone I forget. Those ladies are in my playlists as well as Kasey Chambers. Have you heard of The Fountains? I think they might be from San Diego. I tracked down a CD of theirs just to get the song "Talks American". We'd be really remiss if we didn't mention Gram Parsons, the guy who is probably the real father of this genre.

A few more obscure ones:

Steam Donkeys

The Rivermen

Finally, I'd like to recommend everyone to find a really good AAA radio station. Mine is WCBE (a NPR station) in Columbus. Despite the impression my list above gives, I have very diverse musical taste and its mostly due to these guys. This is where I first heard Uncle Tupelo and most of the other bands listed. My favorite DJ's have left the station, but the music is still the great mix.

PS- Sorry, I meant to mention the other bands at Bloodshot. It's my current favorite label.

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: murk ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 33
    I don't want to expand your list too much, but I think there might be a couple of mainstream artists that still hold true to real country or at least play in its tradition. I'm thinking of Dwight Yoakam and Allison Kraus and Union Station. Of course, AKUS is more Bluegrass than rootsy like the bulk of your list. And there's always Lyle Lovett.

You should get on the internet and listen to "Roots and Branches" on WETS out of Johnson City, TN. Its thick w/ Bluegrass, Americana, and Old Time music.

How about the Mavericks? Maybe a little pop-y.

Thoth.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>

Now that's music to my ears.

There are a whole bunch of good artists on Bloodshot... Alejandro Escovedo (who we opened for once! Woo!). Neko Case. Sally Timms (we cover one of hers). Even Jerry Garcia was doing some very cool stuff outside of the Dead not long before he died.

The Backsliders... would that be Bo Ramsey and the Backsliders, or another group with the same name?</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.gumbopages.com/music/backsliders.html"; target="_blank">The Backsliders</a> I'm talking about are from North Carolina. Bo Ramsey isn't a member. I'm not really that familiar with Bo Ramsey's stuff. There's an Aussie band that goes by that name too but I have no idea what they sound like. Go <a href="http://www.rollingstone.com/dds/track.asp?rid=146&listen"; target="_blank">here</a> to listen to the guys I'm talking about.

You're right about Jerry Garcia too. He was totally into the whole roots thing.

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: roger_ramjet ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 33
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Wow, I was expecting maybe 1 reply from pscates, you guys are all over it.

I'm not a genre purist usually, so rockabilly, cowpunk, psychobilly, etc... would all generally fall under the alt.country classification. If it sounds good and isn't straight country (which I know all about already ) then fire away with names and recommended songs.

I have all the suggestions in a list and I will be looking them up soon. (As a side note, my oldest brother is a Jimmy Dale Gilmore fanatic.)

hmurch:

[quote]Groverat...is there ANYTHING you don't listen too<hr></blockquote>

I have 30g of mp3s, that's 7,200 files. If that tells you anything. (A large portion of that is from my 120+ CDs being ripped...)

I can't think of a genre I don't like, but there are definitely tons of "artists" I hate. I even like pop pablum if it's well made and not shoved in my face on television.

--

We need to get an AppleInsider peer-to-peer network set up, so we can share all this wonderful music with each other!
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Murk, good catch with Kasey Chambers. I saw her at SXSW last spring and she was incredible. Good debut CD, too. Good set of pipes on her.

<strong>Wow, I was expecting maybe 1 reply from pscates, you guys are all over it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've been tending that way for some years now. Iowa will do that to you. Although, the town I came from (Northampton, MA) has also been doing alt.country for years. If you can find a CD by the Blood Oranges, that's NoHo alt country from 1990 (it's also a decent CD).

[quote]<strong>I'm not a genre purist usually, so rockabilly, cowpunk, psychobilly, etc... would all generally fall under the alt.country classification. If it sounds good and isn't straight country (which I know all about already ) then fire away with names and recommended songs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Going old school, you have Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, Big Sandy and his Fly-Right Boys, pretty much anything Doc Watson ever touched. There's a bluegrass compilation called "O Sister!" in answer to the "O Brother!" soundtrack, which has all female singers. That's worth checking out. It's got several tracks by the Carter Family, who are definitely worth a listen.

I'm missing the name of a legendary high-octane rockabilly act. From Texas, I believe. Damn.

I might as well mention some local acts (some of whom are a lot bigger than local now: Bo Ramsey, for one, co-produced and played on Lucinda Williams' latest album):

<a href="http://www.boramsey.com/"; target="_blank">Bo Ramsey</a>, <a href="http://www.trailer-records.com/artists/brown.shtml"; target="_blank">Greg Brown</a>, <a href="http://www.trailer-records.com/artists/zollo.shtml"; target="_blank">Dave Zollo</a>, <a href="http://www.mikeandamyfinders.com/"; target="_blank">Mike and Amy Finders</a>, and *cough* my own band, the <a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mayflies"; target="_blank">Mayflies of Johnson County</a> [link to our EP; site pending].

There are more, but that's off the top of my head. How about more links! It's good to hear about another Backsliders. What else is out there?

[quote]<strong>I can't think of a genre I don't like, but there are definitely tons of "artists" I hate. I even like pop pablum if it's well made and not shoved in my face on television.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Here here! That's pretty much me, too.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    [quote]I'm missing the name of a legendary high-octane rockabilly act. From Texas, I believe. Damn.<hr></blockquote>

I believe you are referring to my spiritual advisor, The Reverend Horton Heat.

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 33
    There's <a href="http://www.dalewatson.com/"; target="_blank">Dale Watson</a> also.

Check out <a href="http://www.nodepression.net/"; target="_blank">No Depression's website</a>. They'll probably have TONS of reviews, recommendations, etc.

Of course, something tells me you probably already have...

• Reply 16 of 33
    Ok, if you're going to throw doc watson into the clambake, I'll suggest Jerry Douglas.

You must hear his version of "Hey Joe" on his album "Slide Rule."

Goin' to Merlefest this weekend! (merlefest.org) Are you jealous?

Thoth
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Hadn't seen that before, p, thanks for the link.
  • Reply 18 of 33

<strong>

I believe you are referring to my spiritual advisor, The Reverend Horton Heat.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes!!!

An old band of mine was asked to open for him at 1st Avenue in Mpls, but we had to decline. I've regretted that for years.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>[I might as well mention some local acts (some of whom are a lot bigger than local now: Bo Ramsey, for one, co-produced and played on Lucinda Williams' latest album):

Bo Ramsey, Greg Brown, Dave Zollo, Mike and Amy Finders, and *cough* my own band, the Mayflies of Johnson County [link to our EP; site pending].</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're a member of the Mayflies, Amorph? That's weird. I haven't seen you guys, but I've definitely heard a lot about you.

Mike and Amy Finders are awesome! A great addition to I.C. scene. I would definitely recommend their new CD for you alt.country fans. I think they're better than a lot of bands with national recognition. Of course someone like Greg Brown doesn't need my endorsement.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by Thoth2:

<strong>Goin' to Merlefest this weekend! (merlefest.org) Are you jealous?

Thoth</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ohmigosh, I used to go to that! When I lived in Tennessee (before I moved to SoCal), I went to that (formerly called the Merle Watson Memorial Bluegrass Festival). I went four times in five years. We always stayed at that Days Inn directly across from the grounds!

I had a BLAST there. I'd go with my dad and girlfriend and we'd have a great weekend.

I met (and got autographs from) Bill Monroe, Emmylou Harris, Marty Stuart, Carl Jackson, Vince Gill, Mark O'Connor, Jerry Douglas, Tony Rice and Sam Bush!

The coolest thing ever? About 2-3 years before Vince Gill really struck it big, he, along with Mark O'Connor, Jerry Douglas, Emory Gordy, Jr. and Carl Jackson played with Emmylou as her Angel Band. OHMIGOSH! They were SO on that day! Incredible, kick-ass acoustic/bluegrass versions of "Luxury Liner", "From Boulder to Birmingham", "Amarillo", "Blue Kentucky Girl", etc.

The following year, she was there with her Nash Ramblers, playing a more revved-up acoustic country (Jon Randall, Sam Bush, Roy Huskey, Jr., Al Perkins).

I knew who Vince Gill was and I saw him walking out amongst the vendors and booths, hours before their set. Remember, he hadn't struck it big yet (this was a good two years before "When I Call Your Name"), but I recognized him from Nashville Network, early CMT, Rodney Crowell's band, etc. Plus, he'd had some albums out...just no major hits.

I walked up to him and said "you're my favorite guitarist EVER!" and he was like "Really?!?".

My dad took a picture of me and Vince Gill standing there (still have it). He's wearing a black Roy Orbison T-shirt and he seemed genuinely shocked that someone knew and approached him. He was really nice and stood there and talked to us for about 10 minutes. Said he was having a blast and that he loves playing with Emmylou every chance he gets. We talked about guitars and amps too.

Two years later, BAM...he was HUGE. And the hits haven't stopped. I've met him twice since then.

Merlefest is a BLAST! I rode a shuttle bus with Bela Fleck and David Grissom one afternoon. Cool stuff: little mini-clinics, tons of campsite/parking lot jamming, etc.

I haven't been in 8 years. I hear it's gotten HUGE! I went the first year, actually, and it was quite small and laidback.

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>