Apple reveals best-selling, trending iTunes content, apps of 2010

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released "Best of 2010" and "Top Sellers" lists for iTunes content in 2010 and highlighted the range of functionality of App Store offerings through "Hot Trends in 2010" lists for iPhone and iPad apps.

In a follow-up to last year's iTunes Rewind "Best of 2009" lists, Apple released updated lists for the year on Thursday.

The lists underwent several changes from last year, though, as the Apps section now includes "Hot Trends" for the year, rather than an editorially selected "Best of" list like last year. Also new, of course, is the section for iPad apps, since the tablet was released in April of this year.

"Hot Trends" in 2010 for the iPhone ranged from entertainment and consumption to content creation and productivity. With trends like "Shoot Edit Share," "Augmented Reality," "Band in Your Hand" and "Generative Art & Sound," the iTunes editorial staff hope to showcase the iPhone's more creative apps, while trends like "Quick Fix Games" and "On the Grid," which highlights social networking apps, represent the more casual, social side of iPhone apps. The "Fun for Foodies" trend features apps like Foodspotting and apps from celebrity chefs Jamie Oliver and Mario Batali.

The top downloaded free iPhone app was Facebook, while the phenomenally popular "Angry Birds" game topped the list of paid iPhone apps. MLB.Com At Bat took the coveted title of "Top Grossing" iPhone app for 2010.

The list of "Hot Trends in 2010" for iPad apps closely resembles the iPhone. The "Interactive Stories" and "Magazines and Newspapers" trends reflect the role of the iPad as an eReader. Also, the "Mobile Office" trend highlights several productivity apps on the iPad, including Apple's iWork suite for iPad.

Apple swept the top iPad app categories with its own applications. iBooks was the most downloaded free iPad app, and Pages landed both the "top paid" and "top grossing" titles.

The top selling music single of 2010 was "Hey, Soul Sister" by Train. The iTunes editorial staff chose Eminem as Artist of the Year and the album "Brothers" by The Black Keys as Album of the Year.

Movies featured on the "Best of 2010" movies list included "Toy Story 3," "Inception," "Exit Through the Gift Shop," and "A Prophet." Academy-award winning "Hurt Locker" took the top spot on the list of bestselling movie sales and rentals.

Modern Family was chosen as Best Comedy Season, while the critically-acclaimed show Mad Men was featured as Best Drama. iTunes editors picked the latest season of Doctor Who as the best Sci-Fi & Fantasy, and Jersey Shore as the top Reality TV show of 2010.

The top-selling TV episode was the "Power of Madonna" episode from Glee, while season 4 of Mad Men garnered first place among top-selling TV seasons.

As the top music retailer in the U.S., iTunes has become a household name. The App Store has had an impressive year as well, with over 300,000 apps now available. In fact, the App Store has been so successful for Apple that the company plans to bring the concept 'back to the Mac' early next year in the form of the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I guess from this we can gather, that techie not Gear Heads use itunes, because if it were Gear Heads - then "Top Gear" would be number one!

Hell the show is the Number 1 Show IN THE WORLD.

Skip
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

In fact, the App Store has been so successful for Apple that the company plans to bring the concept 'back to the Mac' early next year in the form of the Mac App Store.

Good news perhaps, software with private API's and requiring root access will not be allowed in the MacAppStore. This includes Microsoft Office and Adobe software for instance. From a security standpoint this is good news. So no "walled garden" for quite some time.

The drawback is of course that if a person wants to use a more secure software than Safari or Quicktime, they might not have a choice in MacAppStore.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Here's a summary that should be applicable for all years to come:

Despite having the ability to choose what one listens to or watches on demand, most individuals still devour the same stupid shit fed to them by major media conglomerates.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Crap.

Movies not in HD (1080).

Music not in FLAC (or other losless).

Why should I buy this media??

Only Infinity Blade has good graphics.

Yeah, I finished it yesterday. Killed the God King when I was in 5th blood line.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

Crap.

Movies not in HD (1080).

Whine to American ISPs to give us better service. If iTunes gave you 1080p movies, you'd whine that they take too long to download.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

Crap.

Movies not in HD (1080).

Only Infinity Blade has good graphics.

Yeah, I finished it yesterday. Killed the God King when I was in 5th blood line.

Care to name a single legal online provider of 1080 content?

Maybe the telecom infrastructure and bandwidth limits aren't up for this yet - maybe you might take time to think about that.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Whine to American ISPs to give us better service. If iTunes gave you 1080p movies, you'd whine that they take too long to download.

Yes, I agree this person will whine about anything. Just can't satisfy some people.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

Good news perhaps, software with private API's and requiring root access will not be allowed in the MacAppStore. This includes Microsoft Office and Adobe software for instance. From a security standpoint this is good news. So no "walled garden" for quite some time.

The drawback is of course that if a person wants to use a more secure software than Safari or Quicktime, they might not have a choice in MacAppStore.

Good and valid points. The more we can destroy the walled gardens of m$ and adobe the better for all. Funny how they try to purvey them being open, I guess if you constantly bombard people with this open/close crap, it will eventually gain some traction. Luckily it's people like us on this site that continue to refute this falsehood (except daharder and similar Apple hatred, but they are beyond help).
  • Reply 9 of 10
    My ONE (Okay, TWO) iPAD APPS YOU MUST GET, IF YOU GET NOTHING ELSE THIS CHRISTMAS...

IS

Cut The Rope HD

AND

Atomic Web Browser

Angry Birds is alright if you plan to throw (pun unintended) away hours, literally, hours of your life. LOL
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Here's a summary that should be applicable for all years to come:

Despite having the ability to choose what one listens to or watches on demand, most individuals still devour the same stupid shit fed to them by major media conglomerates.

Nice one. People like choice. But many like to be "guided" as to what to choose. TV to this day maintains its idiot-tube status, digital or otherwise. "Popular" Music... I don't even know WTF that is nowadays. Movies... total bollocks. These past few years has been horrible. Just crap "film" after crap "film" non-stop. They couldn't even pay me to watch some of the garbage that came out like Friday the 13th or Piranha, GrownUps, etc... If not for Inception and (crossing my fingers here) Tron I might have given up on this particular media form all together.

Yet media still dominates popular culture... For those who just don't have any other clue, or I guess, simply for the masses, hence the "mass" in mass media. Who knows what the next decade will bring.