Apple disabled jailbreak detection API in iOS 4.2

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

That is what they want you to believe but it's horse pucky. Very few jailbreakers install pirated software.

1) It's difficult to hack the app signing.

2) It's not worth it; most apps are just $1.

3) We actually buy MORE software like tethering apps and other hacks thru Cydia.

So please stop with this "Jailbreaking will kill the iOS app market" junk. Please?

Then please explain to us why you do it?

The only things I see people do with their jailbroken phones is download pirated software.

There is no legitimate reason for jailbreaking a phone in New Zealand because the phone is unlocked. That leaves only two reasons 1): running crappy little hacks to the OS to do things that ultimately don't really add any real useful abilities to the phone and in some cases make the phones less useful 2): downloading and installing illegal applications.

With point 1 you have to weigh up why does this application not get approval from the App Store? Does it use APIs that Apple doesn't allow? Is it worth it to install this app that can easily break with a single change by Apple? Is it worth it to install an app that has no guarantee will work with an update.

I think jailbreaking does hurt the device more than it frees it. I really don't see the point of jailbreaking because it stops me from getting the latest software due to having to wait until someone finds an exploit. I'd much rather upgrade and carry on using the device rather than having to run an old version of the OS and be limited to features.
  • Reply 42 of 79
    I jailbreak when and if possible because I like and want Lockscreen Info. An app that Apple does not seem to want on the iPhone.
  • Reply 43 of 79
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

I jailbreak when and if possible because I like and want Lockscreen Info. An app that Apple does not seem to want on the iPhone.

According to lowededwookie that is a "crappy little hack? that doesn?t "add any real useful abilities?. \

I hope Apple updates their notification system for iOS 5.0 and adds APIs so devs can make a nice app widgets that are similar in form to LockInfo. It?s languished long enough and they did hire the guy responsible for WebOS? system notifications.
  • Reply 44 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

According to lowededwookie that is a "crappy little hack? that doesn?t "add any real useful abilities?. \

I hope Apple updates their notification system for iOS 5.0 and adds APIs so devs can make a nice app widgets that are similar in form to LockInfo. It?s languished long enough and they did hire the guy responsible for WebOS? system notifications.

Right. Weather on the lock screen or other info is not important. Glad I had someone to point that out for me. Considering I have enough money to pay for any app I want, there goes the stolen app theory.
  • Reply 45 of 79
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

I think jailbreaking does hurt the device more than it frees it. I really don't see the point of jailbreaking because it stops me from getting the latest software due to having to wait until someone finds an exploit. I'd much rather upgrade and carry on using the device rather than having to run an old version of the OS and be limited to features.

Hm, there are really different reasons for jailbreaking and just pretending Apple has taken care of everything does not make it so. While most people may jailbreak to unlock, or to install junk like lockscreen "enhancements" or springboard "enhancements" ? both of which normally look like crap and slow down the device, or even make it unstable? there are certainly a few valid uses.

One of them is WiFi tethering: Apple does not offer WiFi tethering, because AT&T does not like it. In other countries there are network operators which do allow tethering, they even happily sell you additional data packages to do it. Should the entire world have a less useful device, just because of AT&T?

Another example is one we have in our company. Yes, we do have over 80 official iPhones from Apple's official carrier and still jailbreak two of them. Why? Because we have rather complex in-house software (and some equally complex third party apps) on the iPhones, and need to train people in using it. The iPhone does neither have video mirroring, nor a built in VNC server, so all you can do is give training using an additional person operating a video camera... On a jailbroken phone this works just fine without such hassle.
  • Reply 46 of 79
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Right. Weather on the lock screen or other info is not important. Glad I had someone to point that out for me. Considering I have enough money to pay for any app I want, there goes the stolen app theory.

I?m not much of a fan or user of SMS, but BiteSMS is pretty slick. It offers many features Apple?s native app doesn?t. For instance, you can reply from the popover without having to leave your current app or unlock and access the SMS app directly to reply.

BiteSMS is now 25% off.
  • Reply 47 of 79
    Quote:

The only things I see people do with their jailbroken phones is download pirated software.

There is no legitimate reason for jailbreaking a phone in New Zealand because the phone is unlocked. That leaves only two reasons 1): running crappy little hacks to the OS to do things that ultimately don't really add any real useful abilities to the phone and in some cases make the phones less useful 2): downloading and installing illegal applications.

With point 1 you have to weigh up why does this application not get approval from the App Store? Does it use APIs that Apple doesn't allow? Is it worth it to install this app that can easily break with a single change by Apple? Is it worth it to install an app that has no guarantee will work with an update.

Come now-those little hacks are FIERCE!! I could give you a 20+list of those that are amazing-these features take the iOS way beyond what Apple is currently offering and it's quite an eye opener that many features eventually get added to the iOS by Apple-

I jailbreak and DO NOT PIRATE-in fact I buy from the AppStore (60+games). However, though I DO jailbreak-I DO NOT recommend it to most people because most people are morons and will end up doing something that will end up forcing them to restore. You have to have some above common computer knowledge or you could end up with that restore headache. These forums go to show just how little people know in regards to how they form their opinions. Jailbreaking is not for the masses-I agree with Steve Jobs/Apple's effort to make it difficult but thankfully there will always be a way.

Since the creation of the iPhone-Apple users IQs (computerwise) have dropped enough to have their very own Special Computer Olympics. Thanks Steve.
  • Reply 48 of 79
    Hi solipsism -I just knew i would see you here! LOL
  • Reply 49 of 79
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Whether you have the weather on your lock screen or not, you are still not the spokesperson for all jailbreakers.

I'll bet you only use bit torrent to test Linux distributions too.

Get off the grass, stop the denial.
  • Reply 50 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

That is what they want you to believe but it's horse pucky. Very few jailbreakers install pirated software.

1) It's difficult to hack the app signing.

2) It's not worth it; most apps are just $1.

3) We actually buy MORE software like tethering apps and other hacks thru Cydia.

So please stop with this "Jailbreaking will kill the iOS app market" junk. Please?

Funny, I used to defend jailbreaking like you, but more and more, pretty much every single person I met that has a jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch always brags about how they get all their apps for free. There are quite pricey apps in the app store, especially ones related to medical stuff. These are the ones that are mostly pirated (Lexi comp is one of them). And since jailbreaking allows one to pirate one expensive app, why not just pirate everything else, regardless of the price. Free is still better than $1. People are cheapskate.
  • Reply 51 of 79
    I hope this means that Apple will unlock all existing iPhones once the AT&T exclusivity contract expires.
  • Reply 52 of 79
    enohpienohpi Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cinemagic View Post

As for stealing software, this is an act that a few people will do no matter what device they own.

People don't steal software; Jailbreakers steal software.
  • Reply 53 of 79
    Quote:

Having a web browser on any desktop OS means you can download cracked desktop apps, but I haven?t heard anyone cry foul on web browsers or the internet as a whole on these forums.

Good points! Nobody is crying foul on the internet as a whole.
  • Reply 54 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Whether you have the weather on your lock screen or not, you are still not the spokesperson for all jailbreakers.

I'll bet you only use bit torrent to test Linux distributions too.

Get off the grass, stop the denial.

Jailbreakers ran out of legitimate excuses long ago.
  • Reply 55 of 79
    Quote:

That's not what I was getting at but thanks for putting words in my mouth.

I'm not saying all apps that aren't on the App Store are crappy little apps that don't add any real functionality but LockInfo doesn't really seem to add that many features to make it something worth risking my phone or iPad over.

Jailbreaking can have its uses I don't deny that but is risking the functionality of your iOS device worth having extra info on a screen that most people only briefly look at for date and time? Is it worth the security issues that are created just to run that sort of app? Is it worth the risk of bricking your iOS device because Apple released an update that causes something in your jailbroken device to break?

The majority of people out there want a device that allows them to use it. They don't care about some app that adds weather to their lock screen. Seems hardly worth the battery drain which many of these apps provide because they're not playing with the system properly.

If you want to do it I'm not saying don't but don't tell me that Apple is denying functionality when ultimately the people Apple is aiming the device at don't give a flying monkey's toss about whether or not they can see weather on a screen that they visit only to unlock and get into what they actually want to do.

To me and many many others the risks of jailbreaking for apps that are mostly denied access to the store because they don't play by the rules isn't worth the risk. That's what I'm saying not the words you've decided to put in my mouth.

But nice try. Glad to see you understand context.
  • Reply 56 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidcarswell View Post

Since the creation of the iPhone-Apple users IQs (computerwise) have dropped enough to have their very own Special Computer Olympics. Thanks Steve.

Judging by your comments you should come in first place in all the events then. Good for you. Everyone deserves their fifteen minutes of fame.
  • Reply 57 of 79
    Quote:

Judging by your comments you should come in first place in all the events then. Good for you. Everyone deserves their fifteen minutes of fame.

I am an astrophysics student-you?
  • Reply 58 of 79
    Okay, then let me put words in your mouth.

You're saying that if Apple allows some sort of system hack, like assigning different sounds to text messages from different people, or changing your background wallpaper, you know, "crappy little hacks to the OS to do things that ultimately don't really add any real useful abilities to the phone," it's okay. But if Apple doesn't make it part of their default system software, it's not worth having.

Jailbreakers are saying there are things they'd like their phones to do, because they are small programmable computers and are capable of doing them. Yes, it's annoying that jailbreaking might mess with the stability of your phone. But it doesn't mess with it too much, and Apple should make it so it doesn't mess with it at all.

I hate having to click deep into different parts of the system app to change brightness, adjust wi-fi settings, turn on and off bluetooth, and toggle 3G. But there's an app that only available for jailbroken phones that puts those features one swipe away. It makes my life much easier. But according to you this is not a "legitimate reason" to jailbreak. It's a "crappy little hack to the OS" that does "things that ultimately don't really add any useful abilities to the phone and in some cases make the phone less useful."

I don't understand why people like you don't realize that some people think differently than you. You could easily have said "I personally don't want to jailbreak for (reasons x and y)" but instead you insisted that people who said they don't jailbreak to pirate software are lying.

Instead you said:

Quote:

That's not what I was getting at but thanks for putting words in my mouth.

I'm not saying all apps that aren't on the App Store are crappy little apps that don't add any real functionality but LockInfo doesn't really seem to add that many features to make it something worth risking my phone or iPad over.

Jailbreaking can have its uses I don't deny that but is risking the functionality of your iOS device worth having extra info on a screen that most people only briefly look at for date and time? Is it worth the security issues that are created just to run that sort of app? Is it worth the risk of bricking your iOS device because Apple released an update that causes something in your jailbroken device to break?

The majority of people out there want a device that allows them to use it. They don't care about some app that adds weather to their lock screen. Seems hardly worth the battery drain which many of these apps provide because they're not playing with the system properly.

If you want to do it I'm not saying don't but don't tell me that Apple is denying functionality when ultimately the people Apple is aiming the device at don't give a flying monkey's toss about whether or not they can see weather on a screen that they visit only to unlock and get into what they actually want to do.

To me and many many others the risks of jailbreaking for apps that are mostly denied access to the store because they don't play by the rules isn't worth the risk. That's what I'm saying not the words you've decided to put in my mouth.

But nice try. Glad to see you understand context.

• Reply 59 of 79
    sorry... but i jailbreak my iphone to get apps above 5 dollars for free... especially those that costs 29.99 and above. i download them simply just because they are expensive even if i dont use them.

however, if i really really like an app, i would go back to the app store to purchase the actual version:

this includes: pvz, infinity blade, etc...

and for the apps that are below 4 dollars, i actually purchase them in the app store to get the "genuine version"

recently, when i try to get my friends to jailbreak their iphone, they ask me why?

i really can no longer use: "to get apps for free!" simply because, the apps that most people use are under 10dollars, and to them paying the price once is simpler than jailbreaking and getting it for free. and even myself, having around 2 pages of apps on my iphone that are not created by apple, really can't convince people to jailbreak their iphones anymore (its actually easier to convince them to buy a mac).

however, jailbreaking to me is extremely useful, not for the "free apps" (i have 3apps out of 35 that are not paid for: quickoffice, logmein & 2do) but for apps like mywi, my3g, wifi sync, sbs settings, poof, activator... as a user who constantly travels out of the country, i desperately need to unlock my iphone as well. you have no idea how useful my3g is when you can facetime family and friends without needing to be in a wifi area. sbs settings allows access to deep deep setting in just 2 taps. activator gives me FAST access to my camera, easy access to skipping songs. and wifi sync for when i dont have a usb or simply don't want to charge my phone when connected to my laptop.

none of those apps slow my iphone, not even a bit; and some may be not useful for you (the reason why you are calling them crappy little apps), but does the world center around you? should everyone in the world only use apps you think are useful?

my apps dont make my iphone any less stable. i dont jb to change my icons, or add some unnecessary tricks to my springboard because THOSE make iphone slow and crash easily.

my point is: don't tell me that jb makes my iphone unstable, its not the jb that does it, its the over-customization that kids love that do.

lowededwookie:

please explain to me what risks do i face by jailbreaking? its as easy as one click to restore my iphone to get full technical service from apple and erase my footsteps of a jailbroken iphone. you have to be really stupid to actually "brick" your iphone.

i love my iphone because it is jailbroken, and because i can hide ugly icons or create spaces to position my icons and thats a simple enough reason why i would jb (you might not think so, but the world isn't just you), and by doing just that puts me in ZERO risk.
  • Reply 60 of 79
    Quote:

If you want to do it I'm not saying don't

Someone should say it. If you want to jailbreak, don't.