Google rewarms Android Market, still half baked next to iPhone App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 115
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I remember when people used to say that Android would never outsell the iPhone.

Actually, at the very first, people said the iPhone couldn't succeed.

And Android looked basically like the same old mobile phone OSes the world had suffered with in Palm OS, WM, and Symbian.

Quote:

Then the bar got moved.

Yes, the competition decided to dance all over Apple's intellectual property.
  • Reply 22 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Yes, the competition decided to dance all over Apple's intellectual property.

Oh no! Android sold well because they stole pinch to zoom! How dare they!

What will happen if we can only double tap to zoom in? I guess I'll have to buy an iphone!
  • Reply 23 of 115
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    As an android user this article makes me laugh. The App store business model sucks for consumers. I got maybe 2 of my 50+ apps from the market place. I download them from the internet, you know, how it works on computers, not toys like iDevices?

Why pay $.99 for an app that took 2 hours to make? Why pay any money for an app that's just a wrapper of a website? See on iOS you'd still have to pay apple, then ask for their permission, before you can install and app you wrote yourself on the iPhone.

iPhone has games, for the same reason windows does. But I'm not a 13 year old that needs to kill time at school. I have a job, things to do, if I'm going to have time to play games, I'm going to do it right with my xbox or PC. Not on my phone. I can use whatever apps I want on my phone, not whats limited to some pricy app store that bans anything Apple deems too competitive.

"The majority of Android device owners are buying devices that are already obsolete the day they receive them,"

What do you consider "obsolete"? A better phone than the iPhone 4 was released 8 months it came out. iPhone users are buying devices that have been obsolete for 8 months.

"I have heard that the Android versions are not nearly as good as the originals on iOS."

Who told you that, apple.com? There just recompiled for Android, there's little difference besides hardware. And most android phones are just as fast as the iPhone, besides HTC phone with their crappy gpu from 2007.

There are tons of advantages for both platforms. Android's just suits more people better. Which is why Android outsells iPhones 2:1. Which is interesting considering that they're about the same price (Droid X:$200, Galaxy S:$200-300, Droid 2:$150, compared to iPhone 4:$200-300, iPhone 3GS:$100) and iPhone has the Apple brand name to back it. People like Dilger are just get mad that no one thinks his phone is the best anymore. Who cares? Buy a phone that works for you, not what you think will impress people. Because the iPhone doesn't anymore, and for me it doesn't meet my expectations either.
  • Reply 24 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Wow. That percentage chart on the last page is really messed up. Nearly all the categories have over 100%. Very odd.

Maybe it's the same apps that have paid versions and free versions, so they're double counted?
  • Reply 25 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Oh no! Android sold well because they stole pinch to zoom! How dare they!

What will happen if we can only double tap to zoom in? I guess I'll have to buy an iphone!

Actually, you can't do double tap to zoom in, either. I tried to do that on my friend's G1 and it popped up some weird message. Apparently you have to tap the on-screen zoom buttons instead.
  • Reply 26 of 115
    j.r.j.r. Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

As an android user this article makes me laugh. The App store business model sucks for consumers. I got maybe 2 of my 50+ apps from the market place. I download them from the internet, you know, how it works on computers, not toys like iDevices?

You have this profound delusion that your expectations as to how smartphones operate somehow mirrors the average consumer. I am intrigued. Can you explain?
  • Reply 27 of 115
    Lipstick on a warty pig.
  • Reply 28 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new store uses a Cover Flow-like browsable control for flipping through app icons (shown below), and plans to add new categories for popular types of content,

AI posted that Apple lost a lawsuit on Cover Flow a while back. I forgot how many millions, $65 Million?
  • Reply 29 of 115
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Wow...

Erm.. That is wrong:

picture

There are plenty of "large games for iOS" avaiable on Android, even Gameloft's Modern Combat: Sandstorm you mentioned earlier.

Then the android version would have very lossy compressed textures. In other words the opposite of eye-candy.

The part that really worries me is that there doesn't seem to be proper quality controls of the apps before publishing on android market. If they can post fake iTunes, wouldn't they basically be able to put any crap there? :S
  • Reply 30 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Actually, you can't do double tap to zoom in, either. I tried to do that on my friend's G1 and it popped up some weird message. Apparently you have to tap the on-screen zoom buttons instead.

The newer phones have pinch to zoom apparently.

"See! It's all them phones with our intelligeble properties why they are selling hot!" - Cook.
  • Reply 31 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

AI posted that Apple lost a lawsuit on Cover Flow a while back. I forgot how many millions, $65 Million?

Which is why stupid patents shouldn't exist, especially with prior art. The sooner stupid companies (ALL of them) realize this they should be spending money on reform, not litigation.

Microsoft, Oracle and others are especially hypocritical with this.
  • Reply 32 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

Then the android version would have very lossy compressed textures. In other words the opposite of eye-candy.

How so? Textures/Sounds and the like are downloaded onto the sd card after the first launch and are not "very lossy compressed". ExZeus has around 57MB worth of game assets and some of the gameloft games are over 300MB in size once installed.

Have you any experience on the platform or with these games to make these assumptions?
  • Reply 33 of 115
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:

That's nice. This was blown out of proportion and cleared up months ago.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20243...roid_apps.html

What credibility do you have left Dan? Why should I believe anything else you say?

Dear "Sprockkets" You do not understand what was reported or "cleared up" pertaining to this issue. There were reports that did overstate the damage caused by this Android app, initially saying that the app was collecting passwords and SMS messages. It turns out it was "only" harvesting information it had no reason to be, including users' phone numbers, VM passwords, and hardware details.

The fact that your PC World link assured everyone that the issue had been over reported does not also mean that the issue wasn't valid, nor that Android software is not capable of collecting inappropriate data. If you actually follow your own link, you'll see that this case was indeed proof that Android apps can and do harvest data they should not be collecting. So no, you are wrong and Dan is correct.

Also, what is the motivation behind your lying personal attacks on this author? You have previosly posted and reposted the idea that Dan "predicted" that Microsoft's Natal/Kenect "would be a still born vaporware" and that it would flop, but as I posted earlier, this is a lie, too.

I don't want to read a bunch of trolls making unsubstantiated, ad hominem attacks on AI authors. If they say something that is incorrect, point it out and back it up with facts. But stop lying and smearing your personal attacks. That's unfair and unprofessional.
  • Reply 34 of 115
    Quote:

That's nice. This was blown out of proportion and cleared up months ago.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20243...roid_apps.html

What credibility do you have left Dan? Why should I believe anything else you say?

Your really misrepresenting this story here. Either that or your reading comprehension for the articles you yourself linked to is pretty bad.

The point of the situation was that it's fairly easy in the Android world to take this information without the users consent. The developer in question *says* he took the information for a noble or normal purpose even though there are many easier ways that don't require taking the personal information to do so.

His noble purpose? Was simply to track the unique identities of his users by taking their personal information which was of course, unique to each. This is essentially the entire reason that such personal information is supposed to be private. For the developer to defend himself by saying what he did, is essentially the same as a spammer defending himself by saying that his only purpose was to obtain a list of email addresses to send mail to. Duh!

The point is though that the information was sill taken, and it's still possible for it to be taken. There is nothing in the Android market that stops an app developer doing this kind of thing and we only have the word of the few people that have been caught doing it that their intent was not nefarious.

This wasn't "cleaned up" at all. For the non-tchnical user, the Android market is a security minefield. There is simply no way for the average user to tell the cops from the robbers.
  • Reply 35 of 115
    My personal experience with Android is pretty bad: Motorola Milestone running Android 2.1. The touch screen has poor response and many tasks feel slow. It's like using a first generation iPhone with a flaky touch screen.

I think Canadian carriers are a big part of the problem here. Back in September I was shopping for a phone and there were still phones available running Android 1.5 but not a single one running 2.2 Even ads touting the "latest Android OS" listed 2.1 in the fine print.
  • Reply 36 of 115
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Wow?

Erm.. That is wrong:

There are plenty of "large games for iOS" avaiable on Android, even Gameloft's Modern Combat: Sandstorm you mentioned earlier.

Gameloft's titles are in Android Market? I see the company sells apps from its own web page, but I don't see any legit titles on Android Market.

http://www.gameloft.com/android-games/top/

http://www.doubletwist.com/apps/search/?q=sandstorm

The reason for this, according to the article here and its sources (from the mouth of Google) is that Android Market only supports games up to 25MB, with a new 50MB limit coming. Sandstorm is (on the iOS) is nearly 300MB. How could it possibly be in Android Market?

Please verify!
  • Reply 37 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

As an android user this article makes me laugh. ...

This is just a long argument for stealing, and not an original one at that. You are apparently justified in stealing because the apps that you steal are not up to your 'standards of quality,' or because you don't have 'time to waste?' Wow. Just, wow.

Yet somehow you have a legal job of some kind it seems and are actually a grown up?

If you don't think there isn't anything wrong with your behaviour, maybe you'd like to man up and publish your name and address here as well. Maybe tell us who you work for so we can phone up your boss and tell her what an upstanding little thief you are?

What I don't get is why anyone would bother to brag about being a thief to a bunch of strangers on the Internet, yet be enough of a coward to hide it.
  • Reply 38 of 115
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:

How so? Textures/Sounds and the like are downloaded onto the sd card after the first launch and are not "very lossy compressed". ExZeus has around 57MB worth of game assets and some of the gameloft games are over 300MB in size once installed.

Have you any experience on the platform or with these games to make these assumptions?

Alright, my bad in that case!
  • Reply 39 of 115
    Quote:

Wow...

Erm.. That is wrong:

Did you buy or steal?
  • Reply 40 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

Dear "Sprockkets" You do not understand what was reported or "cleared up" pertaining to this issue. There were reports that did overstate the damage caused by this Android app, initially saying that the app was collecting passwords and SMS messages. It turns out it was "only" harvesting information it had no reason to be, including users' phone numbers, VM passwords, and hardware details.

It only got your numbers, NOT the VM PASSWORD OR hardware details.

Quote:

The fact that your PC World link assured everyone that the issue had been over reported does not also mean that the issue wasn't valid, nor that Android software is not capable of collecting inappropriate data. If you actually follow your own link, you'll see that this case was indeed proof that Android apps can and do harvest data they should not be collecting. So no, you are wrong and Dan is correct.

Uh oh, Android requires permission to allow apps to get to your information. Damn, what shitty security it has, giving people the power to deny access to personal information.

Quote:

Also, what is the motivation behind your lying personal attacks on this author? You have previosly posted and reposted the idea that Dan "predicted" that Microsoft's Natal/Kenect "would be a still born vaporware" and that it would flop, but as I posted earlier, this is a lie, too.

I don't want to read a bunch of trolls making unsubstantiated, ad hominem attacks on AI authors. If they say something that is incorrect, point it out and back it up with facts. But stop lying and smearing your personal attacks. That's unfair and unprofessional.

Really? MR. DED said Natal would be vaporware just like Courier. So, is Natal/Kinect available for sale, selling 2.5 million of them, or is it still stillborn? Did Win7 flop too? And if the CDMA iphone comes out, what then?

You can argue semantics all you want.

All I ask from Dan is this: "I was wrong." Apparently like Steve Jobs, neither can do no wrong.