HTML5 on Android Samsung Galaxy Tab "disappointing" vs Apple iPad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Even auto dealers let the customer test drive first. Is this the reason why Samsung use the cell phone carrier to sell the Galaxy Tab?

Interesting idea. There are cell phone stores on every block - every community has at least one. So maybe Samsung chose to sell through cell phone stores so that customers could play with the product before buying it. That actually makes a lot of sense.
  • Reply 62 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Just to add something of relevance to my comments, I am sure I've read that while the iPad scores 100/100, it's not a 'perfect' pass as Bilger puts it. The rendering also has to be perfect. Apparently, this is not the case according to the Playbook v iPad comparison put forth by RIM.

I don't have an iPad so I can't comment on this but there are other things about the article that irritate me, the primary one being the suggestion in the headline that the linked article pits the iPad against the Galaxy Tab. It most assuredly does not. It is for these reasons that I take everything Dilger writes with a healthy grain of Na.

I don't often agree with you, but I am with you here!!

If you visit the AI home page, you are presented with a headline and synopsis of each of the current articles.

If you examine these, you often will find that some are noticeably emotional, snarky or subjective.

On further investigation, you will invariably find that these articles are written by DED or his alter egos -- you can determine that DED wrote the article before reading it.

It is almost as if AI is using DED as the House Ho -- to attract trolls and clicks.
  • Reply 63 of 136
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

I'm trying to think of new things that might be included in the Ipad 2: Front and back cameras, higher ram? (512Mb),Dual Core Cortex A9 chip? (Apple's A5), higher resolution screen? (1280x960, this seems to be the only feasible 4:3 resolution. Even 2048x1536(264 ppi), won't be enough for a "retina" display).

The Samsung Tab, already has front and back cameras and 512Mb ram, the Motorola tablet that Andy Rubin showed at the D conference has Nvidia Tegra2 chip (Dual Core Cortex A9) and I've seen rumors of some tablets having 1280x720 (16:9) screen for a 720p HD screen.

Sure -- and the Tab is 1/2 the area, 1/100 as many decent apps, and a crappy UI.

I'll take a good system with a usable UI over a crappy system any day.
  • Reply 64 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ribatejo View Post

I am a linux user but I will tell you guys a couple of thing:

I tried the Galaxy and it is awsome to take to the field. Believe it or not, I would buy the Galaxy instead of the Ipad anytime.

I never played with the IPad and will never will for my current work activities. You apple fan boys need to stop whining like babies and understand that what is right for you is not right for everyone else.

Your super-duper man needs to get over himself too and assume that he makes great mistakes during it's performances on stage. There is a huge market out there, in several industries for that matter, that it's still unexplored. I see and work in some of those markets everyday and when I saw the Galaxy I saw it by the ideal size of the product. I spoke with several people around and they agreed when they tried it.

The people that I work with don't have time to go a Starbucks every week.

Most off you you apple guys are a different type of crowd and Steve has you already. For some the other people like me that does not a give a slick about what happens in your apple world, the size matters and the IPad is too big to take to the field. History will tell If Steve was wise enough and wants to keep up with his statement when he said that tablets smaller than the IPad are dead on arrival.

An Ipad is great for indoor work, I am sure, but for outdoor work apple needs to catch up with the size. Iwill give you an example: I would need a bluetooth camera for me to use the Ipad to take photos. No way I will carry that monster on a my field visits. The galaxy has the right size, fits in my big pants pocket, has a screen big enough to make notes on the photos, and hass all the other functionality of the Ipad that I need. Sure, I pad has a gazillion more apps but the android platform is catching up. then again, how many of you use a gazillion of apps? I need about 10 to 20 apps and everything else is not needed, just too kill time. Since my schedule is pretty busy, I don't have mush time to kill.

Regards.

Ribatejo? Do Cartaxo?
  • Reply 65 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Sure. It's less painful than reading his fawning rubbish. Yet, like a train wreck, I can't help but look.

Yes.. I once saw a 300 lb stripper.. you just have to watch.

Or the most recent "Top Ten Things about Whatever" slideshow posted at:

http://www.eweek.com/

They suck me in almost every time -- and each time, I swear I will never, ever be sucked in again!

• Reply 66 of 136
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It is almost as if AI is using DED as the House Ho -- to attract trolls and clicks.

Someone finally figured it out! DED can do very well reasoned articles (when he wants to, that is), but he is obviously troll baiting of later.
  • Reply 67 of 136
    Quote:

I'm trying to think of new things that might be included in the Ipad 2: Front and back cameras, higher ram? (512Mb),Dual Core Cortex A9 chip? (Apple's A5), higher resolution screen? (1280x960, this seems to be the only feasible 4:3 resolution. Even 2048x1536(264 ppi), won't be enough for a "retina" display).

The Samsung Tab, already has front and back cameras and 512Mb ram, the Motorola tablet that Andy Rubin showed at the D conference has Nvidia Tegra2 chip (Dual Core Cortex A9) and I've seen rumors of some tablets having 1280x720 (16:9) screen for a 720p HD screen.

For the iPad 2 I would add 1 GB RAM and a better GPU -- capable of running OpenCL.

At some point the iPad form factor could become the ideal solution for capturing and creating on-the-spot videos.
  • Reply 68 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I agree, but I fear iPad "Mark II" might not be the big evolution that will keep the competition well behind. It is more likely to be an incremental update that will just keep the competition from getting ahead. "Mark III" might be the big jump you're thinking of. But I really hope Apple is working on the next big thing and not just elaborating on this year's big thing.

Every now and again, we get caught up in versionitis -- trying to visualize what will be in the next version of "today's big thing!"

What if, as you suggest, the "Next Big Thing" has nothing to do with "Today's Big Thing" -- the Tablet?

I wonder what it will be!
  • Reply 69 of 136
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    The spelling and grammar debate has been moved to its own thread. In this thread please stick to discussing the Galaxy Tab and iPad. Cheers.
  • Reply 70 of 136
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    The Samsung Galaxy tab is the first credible Android tab (sorry, Archos), and so it got the initial burst of Android early-adopter/fan sales (and the Holiday timing helped some too). Samsung was smart to be first to market, to build its reputation as the leading Android OEM. but it is undeniably a v.1 product with a range of unfinished and unpolished aspects.

But will its sales have "legs" into next year?

first big issue is whether it will be able to be upgraded to the tablet-optimized Android 3 when it comes out next year. Samsung has not said clearly one way or the other. i suppose so, but if not, then it's a real burn on the poor suckers who buy one now.

i'm assuming Android 3 deals with most of the problems cited in this and other such articles. just like iPad 2 will deal with various current iPad limitations.

second big issue of course is the Galaxy's price, which everyone admits is too high to take sales away from iPad. this is where all the other OEM's Android tablets will come into play. the new 10" Archos Android 8G tab can be bought for $300, but it is clearly an inferior product and probably cannot be upgraded (runs Android 2.2). we will see where the other new Android tabs coming next year are priced at, but to get many sales at all, overall those prices have to be significantly lower than the Galaxy's is today.

and eventually for all tablets, the 7" models will have to be priced notably less than the same OEM's 10" models - at least $100 less. there is an inevitable perception that size = value.

so smart Android buyers will wait until next year.

the real issue for Apple is not what the Android OEM's do - we know what they will do - they will copy Apple. the big question for the iPad is how will Apple make it better (lighter weight is really important - a carbon fiber shell in 2012?), and how will Apple further expand and improve the iOS ecosystem overall - i expect some important advances in 2011.
  • Reply 71 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sure -- and the Tab is 1/2 the area, 1/100 as many decent apps, and a crappy UI.

I'll take a good system with a usable UI over a crappy system any day.

That is really the crux of the matter, right there. That last line.
  • Reply 72 of 136
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

For the iPad 2 I would add 1 GB RAM and a better GPU -- capable of running OpenCL.

At some point the iPad form factor could become the ideal solution for capturing and creating on-the-spot videos.

Great point. Big-screen editing with the fingers. Do it anywhere and get it out fast.

I've been thinking that the iPad screen as a viewfinder is going to allow for some new refinements in composition, but we are going to have to bring back the black cloth over the head and camera, as with the old view cameras.

I saw the Samsung at the wireless phone booth at Costco yesterday. They have nothing loaded into the thing for demo purposes that I could find in the few minutes I had to play with it, but I was able to try out the rear camera. It really is no problem holding a tablet steady to take a picture, at least one this size.

I'm hoping they'll go all out with the iPad rear camera and enable HDR, focus and whatever else they have on the iPhone.
  • Reply 73 of 136
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

They have nothing to show yes, but maybe they learned it from Apple don't you think? Maybe it's better to take timer and make it right than just spit crap every other day?

You could be right, and I really did only summarize the presence. I have nothing against the WebOS, just the opposite, it is the most attractive competitor to the iOS by far. I am just not entirely convinced (or, in other words highly skeptical), that HP can make a merger like that successful. Why?

1. They are a "design by committee" company, the late Palm under Rubinstein was not, Apple is not. I do not see such a company producing anything that sticks out from the sea of commodity items. The stampede of former Palm employees (relevant ones) leaving HP almost immediately after the merger may be an indication that this cultural gap does not only exist in my imagination (it is no real proof either, I admit).

2. HP is tied up neck-deep with MS. They will never (not within a foreseeable future) drop Windows, and nothing else will get undivided attention.

3. Rubinstein was extremely cautious during last week's interview. His message was the 180 degrees opposite of last year's appearance with McNamara. The only message was "we are not dead just yet"; he could not even say, if HP will keep the Palm brand alive at all. What reputation, other than the terrible iPaq, does HP have in that segment?

4. Any company would normally try to make a strong statement, if they have a clear vision and strategy. The "Pre 2", the only product released after the acquisition, is no strong statement at all. It is a minor hardware upgrade to a flawed product (hardware wise) and ignores absolutely everything the majority of WebOS fans has been asking for: bigger screen, different design...

Even if I am wrong about all of that, if HP wants to release a WebOS tablet, it will need developer support to be anywhere competitive. If we assume an announcement during CES 2011 and at least 3 months of preparations after shipping a SDK (which is the bare minimum), we talk about a viable product in late summer / early autumn 2011. By then the landscape will at least have iPad II, Playbook, and a truckload of Android 3 devices... Sure, a lot of people will say: "This is a new market, there is room for many players", but I do not really see that. No competitor could dethrone the iPod, the entire growth in the smartphone segment revolves around two players (Apple and Google) and I do not see, how tablets are that much different in this regard.
  • Reply 74 of 136
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Specs alone are worthless, if they are not properly implemented.
  • Reply 75 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Samsung made a third rate product, anyone surprised?

(looks at graveyard of failed Samsung phones, MP3 players in desk drawer) Nope.
  • Reply 76 of 136
    Quote:

Most probably, it'll be the PowerVR 540.

IIRC, the Ipad and Iphone 4 have the PowerVR 535, the Droid line of phones have the PowerVR 530. But, all Samsung Galaxy S phones and the tablet already have the PowerVR 540. The Tegra2 chips will have Nvidia's own GPU.
  • Reply 77 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

Someone finally figured it out! DED can do very well reasoned articles (when he wants to, that is), but he is obviously troll baiting of later.

This recalls the situation we as Mac users put up with for a decade. John C. Dvorak.

Let's compare Digler to Dvorak, shall we? They are both clearly fans of the products they love. Now which one do you think twists the facts more?
  • Reply 78 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ribatejo View Post

I would need a bluetooth camera for me to use the Ipad to take photos. No way I will carry that monster on a my field visits. The galaxy has the right size, fits in my big pants pocket, has a screen big enough to make notes on the photos, and hass all the other functionality of the Ipad that I need.

New iPads will have camera's. If your major requirement is you want something small to fit in your pants, then you have what you need. Still the article points out big differences between the 2 platforms and how they work. If you don't care about that then that's OK. No need to bash everyone!
  • Reply 79 of 136
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by some internet dude View Post

Yea, the Galaxy tab sucks that's why it sold 1 million in a month and still going. Poor Apple fanboys there world is coming to an end. Hey Jobs "Android" LOL, I know that word scares him.

It was actually two months. 600,000 the first, and 400,000 the second.
  • Reply 80 of 136
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enohpI View Post

I don't understand this distinction. What is the difference between a large device running an OS designed for a phone and a "true tablet"?

What the heck is a true tablet? How are the true tablets distinguished from devices that are larger than a phone, but run a cellphone OS?

2.2 isn't modified for tablet use. It's purely a phone OS, which is why Google states that tablet manufacturers shouldn't use it. There are no apps specifically for Android tablets yet either. When 3.0 comes out, next year, then there will be an Android tablet OS, but until then, any Android tablet size device is just a very large phone.