I am hosting a lecture in two weeks.....nervous.....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A friend of mine teaches part time in a media school.

Due to the "regulation" of the program there suppose to be a guest bullsh!tting in front of the class for at least one class of the entire program.

My friend picked me to do this job.

I have never done this before and I will have to talk in front of a class of 30 people......

I am nervous, very nervous....cause I don't know what I am going to say

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Depending on what sort of "media class" it is you should have plenty to talk about. So, what sort of class is it?

Believe me, if you choose a topic you're familiar with, it's amazing how quickly an hour flies by. Be sure to take questions from the students.

And don't worry. Cicero threw up before every speech. Initial nervousness is a perfectly normal part of public speaking. Once you get warmed up, it tends to go away.

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 12
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Just get completely shit faced before you go, and you'll do just fine.

Amorph's right - ask the students questions, have them ask you questions... Keeps them interested and helps that time tick along.

Good luck.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Picture them all naked, especially the hot young nubile females.

They are most likely going to be grateful from a break from the norm so it would take quite a bit for you to get booed off stage.

Actual real advice here:

Prepare, prepare and prepare some more. If you know in and out what you're going to be saying there won't be any problem if you feel nervous because you've already done it.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It's a media class? One word: visuals. Does wonders for nerves. They're not looking at you, you're all just looking at the pictures together.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Groverat, best advice yet!

I work for a University and have to do lectures all the time. There's nothing worse than if you haven't thought about what you're going to say. Also, try not to speak too fast. Sometimes nervousness kicks in and you try and speak as fast as you can to get it over with, this just makes it worse because the class won't understand you.

Don't worry if you don't get much "face feedback" from the audience. I've had lectures where it looks like everyone in the room has a blank expression but that's usually because they're enjoying listening to you.

Try some audience participation too, that usually goes down well, even if it's just some "Can I have a show of hands..." or asking for questions.

Finally, don?t worry! It always goes better than what you expect it will!

J :cool:
  • Reply 6 of 12
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 7 of 12
    All of the above are good strategies.

One I would add is to watch one of the MacWorld keynotes and observe how Steve does his presetation. Watch how he acts, where he walks, how he talks, his gestures, etc. He is a master at public speaking, and he is a very good example of how to do a presentation to a group of people.

Also, relax. There is no need to be up tight about it; it will go very well.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>Be sure to take questions from the students.</strong><hr></blockquote>Be sure to take the telephone Nos. of the female students

- T.I.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Oh, and wear a black turtle neck sweater

- T.I.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Follow the advice of Jamie, and if your students are asleep follow the first advice of Groverat, it will wake up them and you will not have to come back to make lecture anymore ...
  • Reply 11 of 12
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by The Installer:

<strong>Be sure to take the telephone Nos. of the female students

- T.I.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good idea!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>

Good idea! </strong><hr></blockquote>Just don't screw up (again)

Ring me the day before :cool:

- T.I.