Google rewarms Android Market, still half baked next to iPhone App Store

Comments

• Reply 81 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigwoodenhead View Post

Being an android developer myself, I am very hesitant to download apps from android market because of security concerns. Android gives developers a lot of access to system data, yet not enough for the user experiences. It is very geek minded. The market is a joke, it is the worst among the app stores launched in the past couple of years, even blackberry app world beats the pants off it. Given googles ability for innovation, the only explanation is negligence. As for Android Os itself, the main reason it got so popular is ironically because of iPhone.with iPhone os light years ahead of the last generation properiatery mobile Platforms, the phone manufactures finally realized customers would not tolerate their make do platforms any longer. And the only viable alternative is Android for now. I hope windows 7 can make a change, at least their development tools are superior.

I'm with you. REAL competition won't hurt anyone.
  • Reply 82 of 115
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Is this the best you can do?

Nop. I'm just getting started. Trolling trolls is a great sport. The Teckstud used to ran away from me! Let's see how well you can do.

Now mister trollckkets, see if you can provide a link to DED referring to Kinect as being a "complete and utter flop," Or will you just avoid answering that using a different strategy? Attack my English, perhaps? Let's see your true colours then.
  • Reply 83 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

Installing apps is only one of the things you need to do. I also load up a boatload of video, music, documents and such. I spend a large part of my life in front of a computer. I'd be plugging in my phone to charge it anyway... might as well sync at the same time.

Like I said, I'd love to have better cloud syncing on iDevices, but I'd still want the computer for easier management.

Android gives you both. I mean this in a couple of ways; if you want an iTunes-like functionality, there's DoubleTwist which takes care of that for you and has both wired and wireless syncing, but if you're like me, I do all my app updates and the like OTA, but when I want to put music or video or really anything that will take a lot of space on my phone, I just plug it in with a USB cable and use it as a mass storage device and literally drag and drop what I want onto my phone. The flexibility is killer.

And to the comments relating to out-of date hardware, I don't know where to start...

I'm doing my best not to sound like a troll here, so I'll keep it concise and break it down into two points and a conclusion:

1. As mentioned elsewhere, apple consistently releases out of date hardware extremely marked up but with some kind of improvement elsewhere to make it worthwhile. I know: I have a MBP that cost far more than a PC of the same specs would, but man do I love that trackpad...

Phone-Example of the above: The Nexus 1 and iPhone 4 have comparative specs, both have a 1Ghz processor (although to be fair, the iPhone's is underclocked to 800Mhz), and 512MB RAM. But the N1 came out 5 months before the iPhone 4 did. The iPhone has that nice display, and a front facing camera, but so does the Evo which came out the same month as the iPhone 4 with again, similar specs. It's really tit-for-tat here, it depends on what's important to you. Want wireless tethering? -N1 Want a huge screen? -Evo Want great batter life? -iPhone 4, you could go on all day, the point is, they're all great, it depends on what's important to you in a smartphone.

2. Apple releases roughly one model a year, it's impossible to say that they are always top of the line for that entire year. HOWEVER, I think we can agree that the point most commenters are trying to make is that it's top or close to top of the line at the time of release, and all android phones are not. This is definitely true, but it comes back to what I just said; Apple releases one phone at a time, there is no cheap model, just the good one, if Android was structured the same way it would be much more similar, but it isn't, and that's where the confusion sets in.

In Conclusion: When comparing Tesla Motors to Mercedes, you end up comparing one car (the only one Tesla currently makes) to an entire line of cars. While a Mercedes sports car might compare to the Tesla Roadster, the Mercedes minivan certainly won't.

Android is compared to iPhone in every aspect, because Apple had the first successful smartphone to be adopted by many non-business users. That's good, it should be compared in some respects, but that doesn't mean they are the same and should be compared in ALL respects, and hardware (in the respect that it's been argued here at least) is one of those caveats.
  • Reply 84 of 115
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RogersaurusRex View Post

And to the comments relating to out-of date hardware, I don't know where to start...

How about not even starting? You're too much into specs and not enough into the whole package. For instance, you more or less indicate the MBP trackpad is to die for, yet how many laptops have trackpads? Conclusion: a laptop's merely having a trackpad doesn't mean squat.
  • Reply 85 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

How about not even starting? You're too much into specs and not enough into the whole package. For instance, you more or less indicate the MBP trackpad is to die for, yet how many laptops have trackpads? Conclusion: a laptop's merely having a trackpad doesn't mean squat.

Sure they mostly all have trackpads, but the one on the MBP is multitouch and just really pleasant to use (software-wise and actual feel). Not to mention that multitouch gestures seem to be interpreted completely separately on the MBP than courser movements so I can edit an image in Photoshop with the mouse while simultaneously scanning around it with a trackpad gesture. But I wasn't trying to say that it's all about the hardware, in fact, I was pointing out that though I bought a computer with specs I could have achieved for cheaper because the hardware was old, it was still a good product because it brought something else to the table that I felt I benefited from.

I agree that the whole package is important, and to that effect, like I said, it's tit-for-tat from device to device and OS to OS. I was, however, not addressing my comment as an overarching statement on all of Android or all of iOS. I was responding directly to comments concerning hardware by making statements concerning hardware.

I would gladly discuss other areas of the systems, but I was trying not to create a diatribe that was too lengthy and spanned too many topics.
  • Reply 86 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

Nop. I'm just getting started. Trolling trolls is a great sport. The Teckstud used to ran away from me! Let's see how well you can do.

Now mister trollckkets, see if you can provide a link to DED referring to Kinect as being a "complete and utter flop," Or will you just avoid answering that using a different strategy? Attack my English, perhaps? Let's see your true colours then.

Ad nauseum and semantics - look it up
  • Reply 87 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

You are aware of the difference between a TRAILER (i.e. a movie made by a company to advertise a game) and ACTUAL GAMEPLAY.

It's like the difference between a Big Mac on a poster and what you see when you open the bag.

Trailer footage isn't the same as gameplay footage? Wow, I never knew! Thanks for that unrelated piece of information - the Internet sure is full of learning

You realize the difference between one game and a completely unrelated and different game, right?

And that the difference between a trailer footage and actual gameplay isn't at all relevant to your point (or mine!), right? Unless, of course, you're claiming that the trailer shows a 3D environment and graphics when the game is - in actuality - a 2D side scroller. Man, that would be quite the advertising scheme!
  • Reply 88 of 115
    Quote:

What's this, then?

At least iTunes is available on more than one platform.

Sure glad I don't have to sync over 25GB of files OTA, it would take forever with my 1.5Mbps ADSL connection and cost too much with my 2GB phone plan.

I sync with iTunes when I'm charging via USB, which I do while I sleep.

I just noticed this, too. Does this count as double posting?

When would you ever need to install a 25GB OTA? Even desktop operating systems are a fraction of that size! If you mean syncing your music/movies wirelessly then you wouldn't be doing it over the Internet, just on your local Wifi network...

Wait, you're just trolling now right? You must be trolling. Are you trolling?
  • Reply 89 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lolwhat;

When would you ever need to install a 25GB OTA? Even desktop operating systems are a fraction of that size! If you mean syncing your music/movies wirelessly then you wouldn't be doing it over the Internet, just on your local Wifi network...

I would think he's/she's talking about all of their data to iOS. But with the sizes of some of these apps, it's understandable that one could rack up such a large stash of data. I recently downloaded a weather app that was over 200MB for my iPad. It was a beautiful app full of animated videos and high quality sprites, but over kill when all I wanted was a quick vew of the weather that wasn't an over-stretched iPhone app.
  • Reply 90 of 115
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lolwhat View Post

Having recently updated a SonyEricsson Experia X10 to Eclair, I was wondering where this OTA stuff was, especially as I had to go out of my way to find a windows box to do it on, as neither Mac or Linux are supported.

This must be an example of fragmentation that all the Android touts seem to want to deny.

The update to iOS 4.2 is over 600MB, my GPS software (MetroView) update was 900MB, game updates are anything up to 7-800MB, updating on iOS is not like updating the crappy Java based Apps found on Android.
  • Reply 91 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yeshuawatso View Post

I would think he's/she's talking about all of their data to iOS. But with the sizes of some of these apps, it's understandable that one could rack up such a large stash of data. I recently downloaded a weather app that was over 200MB for my iPad. It was a beautiful app full of animated videos and high quality sprites, but over kill when all I wanted was a quick vew of the weather that wasn't an over-stretched iPhone app.

Wow, that's totally absurd. I wouldn't even install that on a desktop/laptop. Using up that much disk space for "pretty" (on any platform) is pretty baffling to me. Of course, I'm sure it's a very nice app, but it just doesn't seem worth it.

Quote:

Having recently updated a SonyEricsson Experia X10 to Eclair, I was wondering where this OTA stuff was, especially as I had to go out of my way to find a windows box to do it on, as neither Mac or Linux are supported.

This must be an example of fragmentation that all the Android touts seem to want to deny.

The update to iOS 4.2 is over 600MB, my GPS software (MetroView) update was 900MB, game updates are anything up to 7-800MB, updating on iOS is not like updating the crappy Java based Apps found on Android.

While I (sort of) feel your pain, you can't even reliably transfer music to an iPhone on Linux, much less run a software update. Hardware manufacturers are notoriously lazy when it comes to supporting anything other than Windows, so using an alternative OS is pretty much a calculated risk in most regards.

That being said, is hardware compatibility a legitimate reason to choose one phone over another? Sure, absolutely. Is the opinionated "crappy Java based apps" opinion helpful to anyone? Not really, and it's ill-informed at best but a disingenuous over-simplification at worst (and I say this as someone who quite detests Java).

As a certain Australian video game critic once noted (though referring to consoles), the almost crusader-like fervor that people develop regarding their choice of hardware is truly astounding. People seem to feel surprisingly inadequate if their electronics aren't ZOMG THE BEST.

TL;DR - People are weird.
  • Reply 92 of 115
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Sure glad I don't have to sync over 25GB of files OTA, it would take forever with my 1.5Mbps ADSL connection and cost too much with my 2GB phone plan.

Maybe you should move to a bigger town, the place I live only has 50,000 people and I have 16Mb ADSL to home
  • Reply 93 of 115
    DED's simply putting his money on Apple. Chances are, he's right. Every quarter proves his point. After all, backing Apple gives you a set of points that are brutally easy to argue. It's far more difficult to argue against their success. It's like telling Michael Phelps how to swim.

Expect more articles like this. This decade belongs to Apple, with the addition of a whore-out-your-OS-to-any-takers style commodity pusher too busy in the race to the bottom to care, and it ain't MS.
  • Reply 94 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Wow. That percentage chart on the last page is really messed up. Nearly all the categories have over 100%. Very odd.

I looked up the original data and the sums add up to more than 100% because they included apps that changed pricing model during the study period. That is, if they started out paid and then moved to free within the survey period, they were counted twice. Not due to rounding. Good eye though.

I don't know why people take these things so personally. I love my iPhone, but if using another brand of phone/OS/app store makes someone happy, so be it! I dunno why people why need to call each other crazy, dumb, ignorant, etc.

People will give their allegiances to the pettiest of things
  • Reply 95 of 115
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:

Ad nauseum and semantics - look it up

Liar AND troll - no link
  • Reply 96 of 115
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lolwhat View Post

Is the opinionated "crappy Java based apps" opinion helpful to anyone? Not really, and it's ill-informed at best but a disingenuous over-simplification at worst (and I say this as someone who quite detests Java).

It is when people are misled into believing that they will experience games on Android, based on a trailer and find that they end up with a VERY different experience due to games made to run in Dalvik, (Googles non license compliant version of a JVM), which are made to run on the lowest common denominator.
  • Reply 97 of 115
    dbhdbh Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

I don't know why people take these things so personally. I love my iPhone, but if using another brand of phone/OS/app store makes someone happy, so be it! I dunno why people why need to call each other crazy, dumb, ignorant, etc.

People will give their allegiances to the pettiest of things

same here... am happy with my iPhone and that's all there is... though reading the comments surely gives me a laugh...

i have to say sorry to you acslater as i accidentally clicked on the multiquote...
  • Reply 98 of 115
    junkiejunkie Posts: 122member
    Quote:

Right. For you too:

This is a perfect example of why Android sucks. What is my mom supposed to do with this screen? How is an everyday user supposed to know whether they are getting hacked from this? Like write access to an SD card, uh ok, what are the implications of that again?? I lose everything? Great. Thanks for the warning, I'll just skip the whole freakin platform.
  • Reply 99 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yeshuawatso View Post

wow that post was actually objective... pretty refreshing from the flame war I have to say and I learned something...
  • Reply 100 of 115
    I read articles on this site because I own a 27" Mac, an iPad, an iPhone and 4 iPods. However, the blatant lies and skewed comparisons are getting worse and worse. It's beginning to feel like reading a teenage fanblog about Britney Spears or worse, it's like reading the Pyong Yang Times... If you give freedom to people, like Android does, you always get a phase where the copiers and quick cash cowboys are a majority. However, a free market always works in favor of price AND quality. Steve and the Church if Jobs think that their followers can't handle this kind of freedom. They want to decide FOR you because they know what's best for the sheeple. The press idiots that populate Apple sites don't seem to be capable of free journalism. They swallow whatever Steve can spit and anything else is sacrilege. I love Apple products but I shudder to think what will happen if the Great Steve goes to that big Apple Store in the sky.