Apple, Google, others rumored to be bidding for Nortel's 4G patents

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

What do we call those on here who wear such insanely thick rose-colored glasses / hopelessly lost in SJ's distortion field- that all logic, reason and reality is pushed out the door?

'Fanboi' is short and sums it all up nicely. There are definitely some of them here.

You can call them whatever you want over on the Android, BB, or WP7 forums. Around here you don't call them anything. Fanboy/fanboi is always used as a derogatory term and should be left at the door.

By the way... what the hell is it with these Canadian tech companies that can't maintain the curve... Mitel, Nortel, JDS... and if BB doesn't get its act together then they may be joining the others.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

What do we call those on here who wear such insanely thick rose-colored glasses / hopelessly lost in SJ's distortion field- that all logic, reason and reality is pushed out the door?

'Fanboi' is short and sums it all up nicely. There are definitely some of them here.

Yes, but there are as many or more who are Apple denyers that don't want to give Apple ANY credit for their success and who blindly hide behind terms such as fanboy.

They are the anti-fanboys that have their own reality distortion fields that far surpass anything SJ is capable of producing
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Good luck out-bidding Apple, with their war chest...

Oh. You mean like AdMob.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

Oh. You mean like AdMob.

My slant on that... Google over-paid for AdMob just to keep it out of Apple's hands. Apple, on the other hand, realized that for that type of money they could get something cheaper and re-jig it to their specs.

A fool and his money... etc.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    enohpienohpi Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I have to say that this idea is total paranoid nonsense.

Just superficially ... an "advantage" is not necessarily an unfair advantage and the lack of anyone having said advantage, does not equate to "competition."

Errr.......the quote was "one hell of an advantage". If you think that Google having "one hell of an advantage" over the carriers is not bad news for consumers, then I can go into details as to why that might be so.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    The way I see it, if other companies get this patent portfolio, it'll be a trainwreck for the industry. These are companies that waited till they had pretty much nothing left to lose to go into a last ditch effort to stop Apple's sales growth at all costs by suing. Not only that but suing years after the iPhone came out. It was as if to say, "We've got our eye on you, but you won't go very far Apple. Just go back to making your overpriced niche computers and we'll go back to selling crappy smartphones that nobody really likes but they put up with them anyway cause there's nothing better."

Then the sad reality struck that something better had shown up to the party and the competition had really no viable means to counter it other than to make tons of bad me-too products. Once they did that they then flooded the market with these iPhone impostors by having the carriers do BOGOs and huge rebate deals. It's like the PC market where Dell and HP really can't compete in the high-end with Apple so they flood the market with low-end garbage to take market share but end up making no money. Its a win-lose for them and Apple laughs all the way to the bank.

On the other hand, if Apple gets this patent portfolio, chances are they will just set it on a little podium for all to see. When the competition decides to sue, Apple can just simply point to the podium and then quietly wag their finger at them as they sulk away in disappointment. I don't see Apple actively suing any other handset makers with these patents. I think, for them, it'll be a means of staving off future attacks. I think Apple is content taking money from the competition in the form of sales of a better product rather than wasting time and money in court.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Former Nortel employee... That's a really nice patent collection.

Glad to see Apple's got a bit of cash.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    The only reason I can see for Apple (and Google for that matter) to be interested in this technology it to bypass the telcos, cablecos, and sattelitecos in the long-term effort to bypass the pipes leading into the home altogether. That will take time, but a branded Apple TV (think large screen, with integrated everything), that relies on 4LTE wireless technology only. Can't figure out who controls the connection to the backbone, but maybe someone has already thought that out, as in Apple ISP (Apple Core?) or something similar. The far distant future will probably be Satellite-based, but much different that current technology. Wires and wireless as we know it will be obsolete sooner than we can imagine. Then we get to thumb our nose at the media moguls who control it all, and who would be forced to deal with Apple once and for all.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    With the June 20th bidding fast approaching, the Wall Street Journal is reporting that the DoJ has serious concerns if Apple engages in it. Seems they consider Apple a little too aggressive with patents, with one commenter equating Nortel's collection with a "nuclear arsenal", dangerous in Apple's control. The article seems to imply that the DoJ might challenge if they were to buy the 6,000 patent pool.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/03/goo...ents/#comments

and here:

http://www.electronista.com/articles....skips.google/