Microsoft gearing up to reintroduce iPad competitors running Windows 7

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    "relying on HTML5 to unlock the value of partner's new devices. The report cited "a person who works at Microsoft" as saying that "the company was encouraging partners to build applications for these devices that use HTML5."

If these apps use HTML5, could they not just work through any HTML5 browser? For example, Safari or Chrome? If that is so, where is the incentive to buy one of these new slates?
  • Reply 22 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A Grain of Salt View Post

"relying on HTML5 to unlock the value of partner's new devices. The report cited "a person who works at Microsoft" as saying that "the company was encouraging partners to build applications for these devices that use HTML5."

If these apps use HTML5, could they not just work through any HTML5 browser? For example, Safari or Chrome? If that is so, where is the incentive to buy one of these new slates?

Probably not much from a consumer perspective. However in a corporate enviroment the ability to work with Windows applications and support for Sharepoint/etc has huge advantages.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    Quote:

If these apps use HTML5, could they not just work through any HTML5 browser? For example, Safari or Chrome? If that is so, where is the incentive to buy one of these new slates

The idea at least is that the incentive is that if it was a better device you would buy it. At the moment it doesn't matter if Microsoft release something better than the iPad... people are invested in the Apple ecosystem so they would just wait until Apple released their next version.

I'm not sure how far I believe Microsoft as they essentially have two totally different strategies.

In the desktop where they have the biggest market share it's all about thick front ends with a cloud back end. However with mobile where they don't have much of a market share we keep hearing about HTML 5 and web apps.

I have a feeling if Microsoft were in Apple's position they wouldn't stop talking about the importance of apps.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    Since competition drives innovation, it would be nice to see a credible competitor to the iPad. That would force Apple to innovate more.

However, I'm uncertain if that competition will come from a Windows-based tablet.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    come on folks. it's utterly obvious MS is getting panicked about Google's Chrome OS, not the iPad. if Chrome succeeds big time (i doubt it) it poses a mortal threat to Windows - the beginning of the end of the Windows monopoly.

so in true MS style, Ballmer will throw out some vaporware to try to muddy the water as the Chrome release comes into view next year.

if MS were thinking iPad instead, we'd be seeing the ZunePad!
  • Reply 26 of 79
    As a long time Apple user (my first was an apple //c in 1985) I know this is heresy but my wish for Microsoft is that they would become a great software company. I want them to stop trying to rule the world. Like Rome, they are on the decline and they will fall. I wish they would embrace the change and make great applications for Macintosh, Windows, Chrome, iOS, Android, WebOS, and any other platform out there. I do not even want them to stop competing in the OS spaces, just make better products. They could do this by embracing how the other half lives and learn from it instead of the narrow dogmatic view that we do Windows and all must bow before us. Think how great it would be to have a great version of office on iPad, Flight Simulator on the Mac, or any real, great breakthroughs on all platforms that Microsoft could create if they let the incredible amount of talent that they employ open up and change the paradigm. Become true partners to others not their current smash and grab style. Microsoft would again grow as a company both in relevance and in revenues not to mention share price. Even someone as long on AAPL as myself might buy a few shares. Utopian I know, but my biggest beef with Microsoft now is I just see a huge waste of talent.

Brian
  • Reply 27 of 79
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

In the desktop where they have the biggest market share it's all about thick front ends with a cloud back end. However with mobile where they don't have much of a market share we keep hearing about HTML 5 and web apps.

I think MS are being too strategic for their own good here. Their hope must be that if they and Google focus on HTML5 then that will become the standard platform and iOS will be marginalised. They can then tell their business customers the iPad is "non-standard," a phrase sure to scare any manager.

But I say "for their own good" because what they really need to be focussing on right now is simply making a better product than Apple. Otherwise people will continue to buy iPads and all their high-faluting "platform" strategizing will come to naught.

Edit: of-course the iPad supports HTML5 too, so maybe Steve is one step ahead of them here... If the Web is the new PC, then Steve has made the iPad "PC-compatible" from day 1.
  • Reply 28 of 79
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

A brown Zune pad is sure to turn some heads...

LOL! Don't look at the Windows Tablet PCs, children, it's full of fail!
  • Reply 30 of 79
    Quote:

<steveballmer>D'Oh!!</steveballmer>
  • Reply 31 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

This is the same company that tried to sell the Kin smartphone earlier this year, pulled it since it sold less than 10000, and just last month decides to try and resell it again. Although to be fair, it's probably just trying to get rid of old stock.
  • Reply 32 of 79
    Oh gawd. Not another round of garbage coming out of CES.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    Quote:

Seriously AI? If you can't even get the most basic factual content of the article correct then why even bother reporting on non-Apple products?

All you achieve with this is to make your readers look like total idiots when they repeat this BS in the real world.

I love your breaking news on Apple products, however your reporting on non-Apple products is simply rubbish.

Hey, Firefly (love the show!) repudiate, man. Rebut. In other words, there's something wrong with the article, point out EXACTLY what. You want to claim CE was a success? Give us evidence. But to write in and claim the article is wrong without suppling any reasons, that's just pointless.
  • Reply 34 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmbarry View Post

They got the 9,000 number from the widely quoted number of 5,000 produced and 9,000 ordered which produced a sell out and a backorder. Here is one source: http://www.wirejacked.com/index.php/...production-run

5,000 is a typical run when HP is unsure of demand. Since it is not a real consumer item but really a business one, it sounds about right.

It sounds about right to who? Someone who wants to have a colossal failure on their hands?
  • Reply 35 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

come on folks. it's utterly obvious MS is getting panicked about Google's Chrome OS, not the iPad. if Chrome succeeds big time (i doubt it) it poses a mortal threat to Windows - the beginning of the end of the Windows monopoly.

so in true MS style, Ballmer will throw out some vaporware to try to muddy the water as the Chrome release comes into view next year.

if MS were thinking iPad instead, we'd be seeing the ZunePad!

You're absolutely right, Alfie. Thanks for that analysis. The iPad sells millions, MS is rushing to put Windows on a tablet, and it's all about Google.

Better get a refund on your business school tuition.
  • Reply 36 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeBarnes View Post

Hey, Firefly (love the show!) repudiate, man. Rebut. In other words, there's something wrong with the article, point out EXACTLY what. You want to claim CE was a success? Give us evidence. But to write in and claim the article is wrong without suppling any reasons, that's just pointless.

Personally I don't think it's accurate to call CE a failure but it could be argued either way. That's beside the point though. Saying Windows CE was rebranded as "Windows XP Embedded" to escape the stigma Windows CE's past failures is a fundamentally incorrect statement.

Imagine going to "MicrosoftInsider" and reading that Apple rebranded OSX as iOS to escape the stigma of OSX's past failures and you would be part of the way to understanding.

It's probably more like going to "DogInsider" and reading that all cats are actually chickens...

My previous point still stands. If the writers are so hopelessly clueless about non-Apple products then why bother writing about them at all?

I'll continue to heap praise on AI for its stories on Apple products as this is far and away my my favorite site for Apple news, but the stories on non-Apple products are terrible and I feel sorry for the loyal readers that use AI as their only source of information for tech outside the Appleverse.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft will again present Slate PCs running Windows 7 at next month's 2011 Consumer Electronics Show, hoping to offer users an alternative to Apple's iPad.

I see they still haven't learnt their lesson!
  • Reply 38 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Where do you get your information? Like the HP sales, please provide links???

We are trying to get a slate at work, its on back order, and its only been for sale for something like 30 days now or less.

I know from working in the medical industry for 4 year that tablet based PC's sold well in certain markets, yet nothing mentioned in this blog post????

My prediction, no matter what Microsoft and others come out with at CES, AI will predict failure, quote some ifan idiot like Jon Gruber, and tell us why the iPad is so much better. Just save my post and use it as a blog article!!

Apart from your poor grammar (for 4 year), how does that fact extrapolate to "that tablet PC's sold well in certain markets". What information are you privy that supports this ? Yet immediately you ask (or is it a demand) for this so called "fact" be included in the post.

I'm mighty confused by your post, it just doesn't make sense, unless you see it as a gag reflex of an Apple-hater.

I still ask the same question, and that is, why are people like you on this post, why do you bother to read Jon Gruber, knowing for well that he is pro-Apple (just like the majority here).

Do you get your kicks from annoying people ? You certainly don't annoy me (except for the terrible English you use), what the heck its a free world, but I still don't get your types.

Now to the gory details as follows:

FACT - Windows based tablets have been an abject failure

FACT - One cannot hide the deficiencies of stylist (pointy stick) based UI

FACT - PC based OS cannot work properly on tablets, the UI experience sucks big time

How can I make it any clearer to you and your kind ?

Forget about the apps and so on, just think about the UI, how will it work ?

It hasn't in the past, what magical solution has M$ found this time around ?

So taking this into account and adding apps, the eco-system, timely OS updates, a fantastic developer environment, simple synching, a beautifully designed device, the elegance and simplicity of use of the UI, how can one go past the iPad ? Hang on there I know, those that hate Apple with much vile, and simply too stupid/stubborn to reconsider.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    Quote:

Seriously AI? If you can't even get the most basic factual content of the article correct then why even bother reporting on non-Apple products?

All you achieve with this is to make your readers look like total idiots when they repeat this BS in the real world.

I love your breaking news on Apple products, however your reporting on non-Apple products is simply rubbish.

Didn't take long for the troll to respond.

No point wasting my time arguing as the troll is incapable of understanding logic, but I guess that what makes a troll a troll.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    What is being described here, folks, is an "exercise in futility".