Microsoft gearing up to reintroduce iPad competitors running Windows 7

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I don't know about you guys, but I'm actually looking forward to win7 tablets / slates. I've used the old tablets for taking notes back in college, and they worked extremely well. I hope they don't do away with a stylus tho (*cough* i'm looking at you, Apple *cough* ) cause handwriting support in those made them amazing.

So where do you put the stylus when you are not doodling with it ?

It would make a great nose picker.

How do you like my stupid comments ? Well they are no different from yours.

Stylus ? Are you kidding me ? think please, why is there a need of the stylus ? As most likely you can't give me an answer, then I will. Before doing so, let me give you a hint, it has something to do with the responsiveness of the screen. Thats right you got it.

But hang on you say, what about the doodling, I say what about just a simple note pad made of paper. You see I don't have to argue with fact, I can just be obnoxious like all Apple-haters, and just be plain obnoxious. Do you like it ?
  • Reply 42 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buckeye in Fla View Post

As a long time Apple user (my first was an apple //c in 1985) I know this is heresy but my wish for Microsoft is that they would become a great software company. I want them to stop trying to rule the world. Like Rome, they are on the decline and they will fall. I wish they would embrace the change and make great applications for Macintosh, Windows, Chrome, iOS, Android, WebOS, and any other platform out there. I do not even want them to stop competing in the OS spaces, just make better products. They could do this by embracing how the other half lives and learn from it instead of the narrow dogmatic view that we do Windows and all must bow before us. Think how great it would be to have a great version of office on iPad, Flight Simulator on the Mac, or any real, great breakthroughs on all platforms that Microsoft could create if they let the incredible amount of talent that they employ open up and change the paradigm. Become true partners to others not their current smash and grab style. Microsoft would again grow as a company both in relevance and in revenues not to mention share price. Even someone as long on AAPL as myself might buy a few shares. Utopian I know, but my biggest beef with Microsoft now is I just see a huge waste of talent.

Brian

Sorry to disagree with you.

I want them to fail big time, and hopefully become so irrelevant that people ask "microsoft, who are they ?".

Do you have a short memory in how bad and evil they are ? I have to use their crap everyday at work, and I hate it.

My home is PC and M$ free, unlike gates, I have a legitimate reason of banning this rubbish from my home.

I suggest you google Vista and problems consumers have had with this turd, and this will change your mind about M$. Really how can you like Apple and M$, they are not just mutually exclusive, they live in separate universes.
  • Reply 43 of 79
    Microsoft apparently will never get it. You don't want desktop apps on a tablet, you want tablet optimized apps on a tablet. Which is why Apple rewrote iWork for the iPad.

And Apple tried relying on HTML5 apps for iPhone - that model failed, which is why there is an app store in the first place. Apple went to the App store from the start with the iPad because they learned the right way to do things from the iPhone. Microsoft watched it all happen and didn't learn a thing.
  • Reply 44 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Apart from your poor grammar (for 4 year), how does that fact extrapolate to "that tablet PC's sold well in certain markets". What information are you privy that supports this ? Yet immediately you ask (or is it a demand) for this so called "fact" be included in the post.

I'm mighty confused by your post, it just doesn't make sense, unless you see it as a gag reflex of an Apple-hater.

I still ask the same question, and that is, why are people like you on this post, why do you bother to read Jon Gruber, knowing for well that he is pro-Apple (just like the majority here).

Do you get your kicks from annoying people ? You certainly don't annoy me (except for the terrible English you use), what the heck its a free world, but I still don't get your types.

Now to the gory details as follows:

FACT - Windows based tablets have been an abject failure

FACT - One cannot hide the deficiencies of stylist (pointy stick) based UI

FACT - PC based OS cannot work properly on tablets, the UI experience sucks big time

How can I make it any clearer to you and your kind ?

Forget about the apps and so on, just think about the UI, how will it work ?

It hasn't in the past, what magical solution has M$ found this time around ?

So taking this into account and adding apps, the eco-system, timely OS updates, a fantastic developer environment, simple synching, a beautifully designed device, the elegance and simplicity of use of the UI, how can one go past the iPad ? Hang on there I know, those that hate Apple with much vile, and simply too stupid/stubborn to reconsider.

Hello. I underlined all of your grammatical errors. Since this appears to be an issue for you (evident in the bold, italicized parts of your post), I figured you would like to know where your errors were, so you could go back and make corrections.
  • Reply 45 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Since competition drives innovation...

Competition doesn't drive innovation. What drives innovation is people with a vision to build something the world has never seen or something incredibly better than the world has ever seen. Sometimes the motivation is profit, sometimes it's just a compulsion to invent, but innovation is not driven by competition. If it were, we'd never really see anything new because the first time someone makes something new, there is no competition, which contradicts the entire premise that innovation is driven by competition.
  • Reply 46 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Superb post. Thank you!
  • Reply 47 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Yes. the name will soon change from CES (Consumer electronics Show) to WinCES since MS buys into the so-called keynote every year and Ballmer turns what used to be a serious event into Open Mic night at Rooster T. Feathers.

Next stop: Guest hosting the Jay Letterman O'Brien Show.

WinCES is an appropriate name. I know it makes me wince every time I see Ballmer perform.

Perhaps he could invite Señor WinCES
  • Reply 48 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Hello. I underlined all of your grammatical errors.

Actually, you missed quite a few.
  • Reply 49 of 79
    Quote:

Sorry to disagree with you.

I want them to fail big time, and hopefully become so irrelevant that people ask "microsoft, who are they ?".

Do you have a short memory in how bad and evil they are ? I have to use their crap everyday at work, and I hate it.

My home is PC and M$ free, unlike gates, I have a legitimate reason of banning this rubbish from my home.

I suggest you google Vista and problems consumers have had with this turd, and this will change your mind about M$. Really how can you like Apple and M$, they are not just mutually exclusive, they live in separate universes.

another happy Apple fan and Scientologist?
  • Reply 50 of 79
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    To say Ballmer 'just doesn't get it' is such an understatement! He inherits the reigns from Bill Gates and simply expects everything to continue as before as if there is a freeze on technological development.
  • Reply 51 of 79
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    "smartphone users don't want to be distracted with lots of functionality in their mobile phone"

Is that an actual quote? Did someone with a pulse in 2010 actually say that?

Sure I want my smartphone to excel at making phone calls - but the fact that someone at Microsoft thinks that a smartphone that does a lot of other things really well too is not what consumers want perhaps explains the failure of the Kin and may also speak to the potential future of the windows dumb phone 7.

There is a commercial with sky-divers where one has a windows dumb phone and can get to the camera quickly while the other struggles to get there. while it may be nice to have more physical buttons - I have seen where a multitude of external buttons just confuses people. and the other sky-diver obviously was not using an iPhone, unless he had special gloves that can operate the touch screen. so not sure who they were trying to compare too.

Still it would be nice if the iPhone had some way to get into the camera app during power on - pressing both power and home buttons at the same time for example.
  • Reply 52 of 79
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

You are so right, in fact I expect a new entry in the dictionaries in a few years... "To ballmer" : To do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
  • Reply 53 of 79
    That's all I gotta say.
  • Reply 54 of 79
    I think the article should have been titled:

Microsoft desperately tries to relaunch Windows 7 tablet effort... or something to that effect. Brings a smile to my face seeing this, they are so clueless.

Windows 7 makes no sense as a tablet OS, unless you are a MS exec who knows that Windows and Office license revenue is the only way the company really makes money...the tail wagging the dog there.

Its becoming painfully clear to MS execs that tablets are going to canabalize significant parts of their future revenue (Windows licenses and Office licenses). Unfortunately for MS, the only thing they've been good at making money with, were the two products (DOS/Windows and Office) they used monopolistic practices to own the marketplace with in the PC world - which is why they were convicted monopolists.

With Google offering a free OS for tablets and Apple just running away with the market, this must be scaring MS execs to death - their business model from the PC days won't work here (or with any other platforms). If they are smart they should be working on Office for the other tablets (to capture some of that revenue), but I wouldn't bet they are that smart.

In the meantime, I'd expect the executive team at MS to keep trying to fit that square Windows 7 peg into as many round non PC platform holes as possible (even if it fails every time), cause that's the only way they know how to really make money.
  • Reply 55 of 79
    Quote:

Didn't take long for the troll to respond.

No point wasting my time arguing as the troll is incapable of understanding logic, but I guess that what makes a troll a troll.

I know I was on the right track but still... wow. .

You would have to be one of the most abrasive and argumentative people around and yet you couldn't find anything to complain about?

There are compliments and then there are compliments, and that one my friend was a doozie!
  • Reply 56 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While the large library of custom iPad apps delivers much of the allure connected to Apple's tablet, Microsoft is following Google's Chrome OS strategy of relying on HTML5 to unlock the value of partner's new devices. The report cited "a person who works at Microsoft" as saying that "the company was encouraging partners to build applications for these devices that use HTML5."

It is interesting that when companies have no solution for developers to deliver applications to exploit an OS/device -- they propose HTML 5 as the development tool.

For example:

-- Steve Jobs with the original iOS/iPhone

-- Google with Chrome OS

-- the co-Buffoons at RIM with QNX/AIR/PlayBook

-- MS with their latest Windows7/Slate
  • Reply 57 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Perhaps he could invite Señor WinCES

...eet ees a very beeg box!
  • Reply 58 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

"smartphone users don't want to be distracted with lots of functionality in their mobile phone"

Is that an actual quote? Did someone with a pulse in 2010 actually say that?

Sure I want my smartphone to excel at making phone calls - but the fact that someone at Microsoft thinks that a smartphone that does a lot of other things really well too is not what consumers want perhaps explains the failure of the Kin and may also speak to the potential future of the windows dumb phone 7

I wouldn't take it as gospel until you find the actual quote. The company line was that the preference was to have functionality built into the core device and allow developer extension rather than rely on a bunch of separate 3rd party apps to supply functionality. That said I do remember something like this being said by a Microsoft employee. However I may have just read that here so it might be one of those "a Microsoft employee who refuses to be named said..." deals.

Why "Windows Dumb Phone 7"? Are you just playing on words or are you confused with the terminology? A "dumb phone" is what people generally call the phones before "feature phones" (i.e. just calls and text).

If it's just a play on words you could probably think of a better one. That one makes it sound like you're unsure of the correct terminology.
  • Reply 59 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I know I was on the right track but still... wow. .

You would have to be one of the most abrasive and argumentative people around and yet you couldn't find anything to complain about?

There are compliments and then there are compliments, and that one my friend was a doozie!

You should write sayings for fortune cookies!
  • Reply 60 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It is interesting that when companies have no solution for developers to deliver applications to exploit an OS/device -- they propose HTML 5 as the development tool.

I wonder if it's related to market position as well...

Without market share a company likes to stress the importance of "cross-platform compatibility". As soon as they have market share they like to point out the benefits of using the native OS to it's full potential.

The funny thing is Microsoft do have an environment for "slate" application development. Two actually. XNA and Silverlight. Both are used for WP7 and Xbox 360 soon as well. The slate could make it three from three (five from five if you include line of business web apps and WPF for Windows desktop).

It all runs on top of the CLR so the same apps could be sold on WP7, Desktop and Xbox 360 as well as both consumer ARM WP7 and business x86 W7 Embedded based slates.

I'd bet anything they won't execute this way though. I'm sure they'll find some way to stuff it up.