Google Android stalls, remains tied with Apple's iOS in ad impressions

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

If there are a lot of negative articles about Android recently, it may just be that there's a lot of negative news to report about Android recently. You weren't complaining when they posted articles about Android market share going up. I don't see why you are now blaming the messenger for reporting on Android's woes.

Read my entire post before replying.
  • Reply 42 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Yup, everyone are just stupid sheep buying the latest Apple toy simply because it's cool.

I said some think they are superior, not that they are actually intelligent. Your the one calling all us Mac users (including me) stupid. I never said such a thing.

I consider myself intelligent for choosing a good quality and reliable MacBook Pro that saves me time, money and headaches, but I don't, like other Apple product users, consider myself "superior" because of that choice.

Since I run three operating systems (sometimes more in VM) I can honestly say that OS X is pretty darn good, Windows 7 isn't nearly as bad as XP or Vista and pretty good, Linux has it strengths and weaknesses too, depending upon the distro.

Quote:

I'm always astonished at just how self-delusional people can be. I mean, I really do expect some trolling in these forums, but I think you actually believe the tripe you are posting. Simply amazing...

And anything you don't agree with or can't discuss rationally is automatically a troll right?

A troll is someone who delights in pissing people off, I take no such pleasure.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    Quote:

If there are a lot of negative articles about Android recently, it may just be that there's a lot of negative news to report about Android recently. You weren't complaining when they posted articles about Android market share going up. I don't see why you are now blaming the messenger for reporting on Android's woes.

For instance... this story about ad impressions can be found on almost every tech blog on the net (contrary to a comment made by another poster).

If AI didn't report this story then I'm sure an Android supporter would find some angle to denigrate AI (and Apple) for not reporting this news.
  • Reply 44 of 73
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

I said some think they are superior, not that they are actually intelligent. Your the one calling all us Mac users (including me) stupid. I never said such a thing.

I consider myself intelligent for choosing a good quality and reliable MacBook Pro that saves me time, money and headaches, but I don't, like other Apple product users, consider myself "superior" because of that choice.

Can you perhaps detect the irony in imagining that your fellow Apple users consider themselves superior, then congratulating yourself for being better than that?
  • Reply 45 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

For instance... this story about ad impressions can be found on almost every tech blog on the net (contrary to a comment made by another poster).

If AI didn't report this story then I'm sure an Android supporter would find some angle to denigrate AI (and Apple) for not reporting this news.

I'm not suggesting that the report is not a valid topic for AI. Nor am I suggesting it's the worst offender (the Android Market post probably wins that one). It was brought up by the earlier comment by MarkJones.

But you're ignoring the point of my comment.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webarnes View Post

Already did.
  • Reply 47 of 73
    Quote:

I'm not suggesting that the report is not a valid topic for AI. ...

No, you're suggesting that negative Android news is, in general, not a valid topic for AI. We've never seen you on here complaining when the news was positive, so why are you complaining now?
  • Reply 48 of 73
    Quote:

I'm not suggesting that the report is not a valid topic for AI. Nor am I suggesting it's the worst offender (the Android Market post probably wins that one). It was brought up by the earlier comment by MarkJones.

But you're ignoring the point of my comment.

No... I was just ignoring you completely.
  • Reply 49 of 73
    Quote:

No, you're suggesting that negative Android news is, in general, not a valid topic for AI. We've never seen you on here complaining when the news was positive, so why are you complaining now?

When has this site posted positive Android news (at least without some sort of spin)? Android nor Microsoft news is valid, but they'll keep posting it up!
  • Reply 50 of 73
    Quote:

But to save you the work, I'm commenting on the negative attitude. I'm commenting on posts like "Google rewarms Android Market, still half baked next to iPhone App Store". There's a tone in AI's Android posts that turns my stomach. A gloating satisfaction over places where Android fails and a taking-the-lollipop-away-from-a-kid-to-see-him-cry defensiveness to posts about new Android features.

You seem to be assuming that I am an Android user.

I don't think that owning an iPhone means you have to attack Android users. I don't feel that I need to justify my phone purchase.

Articles written in that tone make me feel uncomfortable in the same way that listening to someone make a racist comment makes me uncomfortable. As a long time reader of this site, I feel entitled to my opinion.

I haven't complained about the positive posts because positive posts don't have that tone. Further, many of the "positive posts" are written with a negative spin (something like "New Android phone sells a hundred thousand units in the first weekend, that's good for Android but never forget how many units the iPhone 4 sold. It's still better, hah!") which I think is unnecessary.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beauty of Bath View Post

I'm amazed at how many people can't do simple math, my calculation is that if your time is worth more than 50¢ per hour Apple kit is cheaper. My Macs aren't toys, they've earned my living for a decade, mostly ecommerce. Your comment says that you feel superior to Apple users so your last phrase quoted above is disingenuous.

Sometimes I buy second hand Macs, the worst IT buys I have made have always been non-Apple. I made a mistake last year, needed another screen to go with a G4 as the CRT died (19" Formac, bi lump but great screen). Used 22" Cinema Displays 3 - 4 years old cost about the same as new from the PC world. It was difficult to get to grips with the difference, surely in four years the competition should have caught up and I'll get a full warranty. I found a lot of good reviews for a Dell, bought it, it is crap, the seven year old ADC display in the storeroom is better. 22" Dell sits alongside a 21.5" iMac, screens are chalk and cheese.

We are in the same boat, we intelligently choose Apple products for their quality and reliability because doing so saves us time and money.

The problem I had is with seemingly most Apple product users thinking their "superior" to others because they can afford more, and thumb their noses down other choices without out fully investigating them or writing FUD/yellow journalism articles like AI is doing recently.

Once really can't do much with a phone, so the difference in quality between a Android and a iPhone is really a mute subject, other than fodder for fanboy arguments.
  • Reply 52 of 73
    Quote:

But to save you the work, I'm commenting on the negative attitude. I'm commenting on posts like "Google rewarms Android Market, still half baked next to iPhone App Store". There's a tone in AI's Android posts that turns my stomach. A gloating satisfaction over places where Android fails and a taking-the-lollipop-away-from-a-kid-to-see-him-cry defensiveness to posts about new Android features.

You seem to be assuming that I am an Android user.

I don't think that owning an iPhone means you have to attack Android users. I don't feel that I need to justify my phone purchase.

Articles written in that tone make me feel uncomfortable in the same way that listening to someone make a racist comment makes me uncomfortable. As a long time reader of this site, I feel entitled to my opinion.

I haven't complained about the positive posts because positive posts don't have that tone. Further, many of the "positive posts" are written with a negative spin (something like "New Android phone sells a hundred thousand units in the first weekend, that's good for Android but never forget how many units the iPhone 4 sold. It's still better, hah!") which I think is unnecessary.

Lord dude, if a bit of platform partisanship on a platform specific enthusiast site bothers you in the manner of a racist remark you should perhaps rethink your priorities. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I don't think there are any plans afoot to deny Android users housing or employment.

At any rate, you can surely take solace in the constant drumbeat among the comments to the effect that Apple users are elitist, effeminate, poser, hipster, disgusting, deluded, robotic, cultist douchebags that quite possibly should be driven from the ranks of decent folk? I mean, if you want to get all racial analogy and shit.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

We are in the same boat, we intelligently choose Apple products for their quality and reliability because doing so saves us time and money.

The problem I had is with seemingly most Apple product users thinking their "superior" to others because they can afford more, and thumb their noses down other choices without out fully investigating them or writing FUD/yellow journalism articles like AI is doing recently.

Once really can't do much with a phone, so the difference in quality between a Android and a iPhone is really a mute subject, other than fodder for fanboy arguments.

Again, you're just casually attributing this dreadful arrogance to "seemingly most" Apple users (and where the fuck would you get that info, I have to wonder) then patting yourself on the back for making the "intelligent" choice, no doubt after the kind of careful analysis that's beyond all those uppity Apple users.

Really, just a conceptual train wreck.
  • Reply 54 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Lord dude, if a bit of platform partisanship on a platform specific enthusiast site bothers you in the manner of a racist remark you should perhaps rethink your priorities. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I don't think there are any plans afoot to deny Android users housing or employment.

At any rate, you can surely take solace in the constant drumbeat among the comments to the effect that Apple users are elitist, effeminate, poser, hipster, disgusting, deluded, robotic, cultist douchebags that quite possibly should be driven from the ranks of decent folk? I mean, if you want to get all racial analogy and shit.

I agree, comment trolls are even worse.

And the racist analogy isn't perfect. I'm not saying they're equivalent; I'm trying to get across the feeling I'm talking about since it is being misunderstood. It's a difference in degree.

AI seems to be slipping away from being a platform enthusiast site. A large chunk (not all) of the joy seems to be in comparing Apple users to non-Apple users, rather than just being excited about new Apple features.
  • Reply 55 of 73
    Quote:

I agree, comment trolls are even worse.

And the racist analogy isn't perfect. I'm not saying they're equivalent; I'm trying to get across the feeling I'm talking about since it is being misunderstood. It's a difference in degree.

AI seems to be slipping away from being a platform enthusiast site. A large chunk (not all) of the joy seems to be in comparing Apple users to non-Apple users, rather than just being excited about new Apple features.

Fair enough. I don't see a lot of Apple users comparing themselves to non-Apple users, however, typically the Apple user is comparing their hardware to rival hardware. It's the non-Apple user that seems to be pretty fixated on unflattering ideas about the character of Apple users, IMO.

Just in general, when there aren't a lot of posters braying about how rival companies are "kicking Apple's ass" or that "butthurt fanboys can't handle the truth", etc., the tone around here is, unsurprisingly, less defensive and more amicable to frank analysis of Apple's strengths and weaknesses. The rise of Android seems to have created a particularly tedious class of platform triumphalist, eclipsing anything the dread "Apple fanboy" was willing to dish out in their heyday.

For evidence, you need look no further than a typical Android user site, with nary an Apple troll to be found. You have to ask yourself why so many Android boosters find it necessary to make their way to an Apple site to gloat.
  • Reply 56 of 73
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Removed.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    Quote:

Fair enough. I don't see a lot of Apple users comparing themselves to non-Apple users, however, typically the Apple user is comparing their hardware to rival hardware. It's the non-Apple user that seems to be pretty fixated on unflattering ideas about the character of Apple users, IMO.

Just in general, when there aren't a lot of posters braying about how rival companies are "kicking Apple's ass" or that "butthurt fanboys can't handle the truth", etc., the tone around here is, unsurprisingly, less defensive and more amicable to frank analysis of Apple's strengths and weaknesses. The rise of Android seems to have created a particularly tedious class of platform triumphalist, eclipsing anything the dread "Apple fanboy" was willing to dish out in their heyday.

For evidence, you need look no further than a typical Android user site, with nary an Apple troll to be found. You have to ask yourself why so many Android boosters find it necessary to make their way to an Apple site to gloat.

There's little that can be done about commenters, but I expect more from the people running the site (except Gruber, though he has been impressing me lately).*

Respecting the Android fan sites, I imagine you're right about the lack of "Apple fanboys" trolling their comments. A fairer example, though, of trolling Apple fans would probably be Gizmodo or Techcrunch, where I'd say that the Apple/Android trolls are on more equal footing. Android users (who might own a Mac or an iPod) are more likely to read a general-focus Apple blog, than iPhone users (who probably don't own Android phones) are to be reading an Android blog.

My impression of the Android fan sites as kids on Christmas morning still stands though. There's a joy there that is getting harder to find on Apple blogs and particularly AI. I suspect that it has something to do with release schedules. Android users always have some new hardware or OS release to talk about, but with Apple you get long dry spells and all there is to talk about is market share and ad revenues with the occasional patent to liven things up.

* I also agree that Android-fan commenters tend to be worse than Apple-fan commenters.
  • Reply 58 of 73
    Interesting with AdMob and iAd pretty much neck and neck...

Remember AdMob was only a factor because of iPhone ads, and Apple drove up the cost for Google to buy Admob, then turned around without blinking and bought the bigger company Quattro for less than half the amount. They over-payed on a company who's only claim to fame was embedded ads on a competitor's device. Google likes to pat itself on the back, but they've made some exceedingly stupid tactical business decisions regarding Android. I'd argue that ripping off the iPhone (or someone else's work) always leaves you in second place.

They got played on this like a cheap violin. Why can't the droids just be happy being number two?
  • Reply 59 of 73
    Quote:

There's little that can be done about commenters, but I expect more from the people running the site (except Gruber, though he has been impressing me lately).*

You mean tech blogs in general? Gruber's not affiliated with this site.

Quote:

Respecting the Android fan sites, I imagine you're right about the lack of "Apple fanboys" trolling their comments. A fairer example, though, of trolling Apple fans would probably be Gizmodo or Techcrunch, where I'd say that the Apple/Android trolls are on more equal footing. Android users (who might own a Mac or an iPod) are more likely to read a general-focus Apple blog, than iPhone users (who probably don't own Android phones) are to be reading an Android blog.

I don't think it's fairer to compare Apple Insider to general interest tech sites, and I don't think the vitriol is equal. On both Gizmodo and Engadget any mention of Apple brings a flood of bitching about how that site is obviously in the bag for Apple, on Apple's payroll, etc., and demands that the poster be permitted to peruse the site without being offended by any mention of Apple whatsoever. There is no countervailing demand from Apple users to be shielded from Android news.

And there is simply no equivalent to the ugly characterization of Apple's users that is the stock-in-trade of the Apple hater. Sure, you might get the odd remark, but Apple the idea that Apple's customers are various kinds of contemptible twit is practically an internet meme.

Quote:

My impression of the Android fan sites as kids on Christmas morning still stands though. There's a joy there that is getting harder to find on Apple blogs and particularly AI. I suspect that it has something to do with release schedules. Android users always have some new hardware or OS release to talk about, but with Apple you get long dry spells and all there is to talk about is market share and ad revenues with the occasional patent to liven things up.

Well, I guess we'd have to see how long the good vibes would last if 20-30% of the postings on such sites were vitriolic attacks on Android and Android users, suggestions that Android enthusiasts resume sucking Eric Schmidt's dick and stop kissing his ass, LOLing about butthurt Android fanboys weeping bitter tears, bizarre theories about the general weak-mindedness and contemptibility of Android purchasers prefaced by "the fact is", intimations that the only possible reason for buying an Android device would be a profound lack of intelligence, character, decency, etc. or that in general Google's customers were needing to have their asses kicked for intractable douchiness. "Slap the smirk right off their face", as I believe the conventional wisdom would have it.

I'm pretty sure any of that would get you banned immediately from an Android user site, but for Apple users none of that is ever very far from the surface, not even on an Apple enthusiast site and sure as hell not on a general interest tech site, where it's generally in full cry and taken as simply being a realist.

And of course, the stock response to all this is that Apple's users actually are assholes whereas Android (or Microsoft or Nokia or Palm) are simply decent hardworking folk with no need to "flaunt" their shortcomings, which kind of makes my point.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    Quote:

You mean tech blogs in general? Gruber's not affiliated with this site.

Yes.

("Yes" is too short, so I have added this sentence.)