Film 'Tron Legacy' will be Apple's only iAd on iPad until 2011

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Though iAd support came with the release of iOS 4.2 for iPad in November, the first interactive advertisement for iPad arrives today for the Disney film "Tron Legacy."

According to Advertising Age, the iAd mobile advertisement is the only one planned for the iPad this year. A wide launch of iAds for iPad is expected in early 2011.

The rich, full-screen iPad ad reportedly includes touch navigation and video all without having to exit an application and launch a browser, just like iAds on the iPhone. Features of the ad include nearly 10 minutes of video, images from the movie, a theater locator with showtimes, and a preview of the movie soundtrack with an option to purchase from iTunes, all from within the ad.

The advertisement, which launches Tuesday, will be featured in iPad applications such as TV Guide. Though iAds have not previously appeared, support for them came with the release of iOS 4.2 in November.

Apple is set to launch its iAd mobile advertising network in Europe this month, and will partner with Dentsu to launch its network in Japan in early 2011.

In October, it was reported that Adidas canceled its $10 million iAd contract because it was allegedly frustrated by Apple's control over the iAd creative process. Anonymous mobile industry executives reportedly claimed that Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs was "being too much of a control freak."

But Ad Age reported Tuesday that an Apple spokesperson said many of the initial issues with the iAd service have been ironed out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though iAd support came with the release of iOS 4.2 for iPad in November, the first interactive advertisement for iPad arrives today for the Disney film "Tron Legacy."...

I have yet to see an iAd of any kind, but then I try to avoid ad-supported apps.

On another note, even though I personally remember it coming out all those years ago, I never saw the original movie "Tron," until this week and I must say it's the worst, stupidest, trashiest excuse for a movie I've seen in ages. The whole concept is patently ridiculous. The acting is the very definition of "wooden" and the dialogue is similar to what you'd expect from a home-made comic book.

Why do people see in this horrible, horrible movie? and why is it popular enough to support a sequel?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I have yet to see an iAd of any kind, but then I try to avoid ad-supported apps.

On another note, even though I personally remember it coming out all those years ago, I never saw the original movie "Tron," until this week and I must say it's the worst, stupidest, trashiest excuse for a movie I've seen in ages. The whole concept is patently ridiculous. The acting is the very definition of "wooden" and the dialogue is similar to what you'd expect from a home-made comic book.

Why do people see in this horrible, horrible movie? and why is it popular enough to support a sequel?

I was a kid when the original Tron came out. At the time, that movie was ahead of its time considering the infancy of CGI. It was an amazing movie and it set the stage for other movies to incorporate digital imagery, like "The Last Starfighter" which came out not too much later.

Each individual film cell had to be hand-painted to give the illumination effect of the actors' suits. It was hard work to get that movie made! From what I remember, the CGI effects had to be done on a leased Cray supercomputer because it was just too expensive to buy one back then. Kudos for Disney for taking a chance on a movie like that!

I loved that movie and I know countless of other folks that did too. When I look at it now, of course it looks a bit cheesy and the acting could be a little better. But I will always have a soft-spot for that movie since it's what got me interested in computers back then and ultimately, helped me establish a career in that field.

Where you are wrong is that you are seeing it through the eyes of an adult with little imagination and only after you have been saturated with modern CGI movies.

So what do you say you cut that movie some slack and remember what technology was like back in the early 80's.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    This explains the (light) motorcycle sounds I heard coming from inside my iPad.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

It was a kid's movie. perhaps you're taking it (or yourself) too seriously.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:

I'm with you on both points. I've been surprised to see zero iAds so far.

As for Tron, yep, the original was awful, and I say that as someone who was a child (so it's target audience) when it came out.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    I think it is a very limited amount of people that have seen an iAd ad.

Apple should get a commercial showing how much better and interactive they can be.

If you get people interested in it. Maybe they will clamor for it more, and more companies will get on board with more ads.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

I think it is a very limited amount of people that have seen an iAd ad.

Apple should get a commercial showing how much better and interactive they can be.

If you get people interested in it. Maybe they will clamor for it more, and more companies will get on board with more ads.

A advertisement about how they do advertising?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The rich, full-screen iPad ad reportedly includes touch navigation and video all without having to exit an application and launch a browser, just like iAds on the iPhone. Features of the ad include nearly 10 minutes of video,

If your attention exits the application you were using for over 10 minutes, what difference did it make that your phone used the app to render the ad instead of the browser?

I never understood how iAds were any different from any other banner ads.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obuolys View Post

I never understood how iAds were any different from any other banner ads.

Branding! How else would you get a whole forum of fanboys to gush over how wonderful iAds are, while at the same time reviling all other companies' advertisements.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

I thought the same way--I had no interest in iAd because had never failed to regret clicking on a banner add before. However, when I finally did click on one (for the movie, Tangled) I have to admit, I was impressed. It didn't suck! In fact, I spent a few minutes with it before I passed the iPhone to the kids. The fact that I can quit easily back to the app makes the "risk" low enough that I figure I will try some iAds in the future...

Quote:

Lol! I saw this movie as a kid and I *loved* it. Sure, the story was stupid and the acting was bad, but it was still beyond cool!
  • Reply 11 of 17
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Some people think they are cool and it's all based on their assertion that something most people like "sucked".

Nothing you can do for those folks.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

I saw the original Tron when it came out - and "horrible, horrible movie" is no where close - go watch Plan 9 from Outer Space if you want to see a movie whose only redeeming quality is that it is so incredibly bad.

As for Tron - my recollection is not that it was the best movie or the best acting etc - but I sure was entertained by it.

Perhaps not fair to compare it - but I also saw the original Star Wars movie when it came out and despite being a movie that changed the movie industry and movie watching experience forever after - watching it today you could easily call it a saturday morning child's program - or whatever other harsh criticism you might have.

Same might apply in the case of your first kiss or your first car etc - go back and try it again and it will not seem the same - (although in my case my first car was a 1964 GTO Tri-Power, which I still own). Or old episodes of Saturday Night Live even - some of that was way funnier 20 years ago in the middle of the night than it is 20 years later in the middle of saturday afternoon.

What is interesting about a sequel to Tron is to see what they can do with today's movie making technology to realize what is very likely much closer to the original vision of what the folks who made the original wanted it to be.

Or another comparison - Avatar - people going on an on about what an awesome movie it was and the effects etc etc - and granted it was a very well constructed visual and audio presentation - I left the theater thinking - so what? haven't I seen that story and those characters about 100 times?

Even Star Wars was not truly original in its story and characters except for their setting and weapons and vehicles etc - but I left that movie thinking something along the lines of wow - I wan't to go there.

So the new Tron certainly has some potential to be a good movie provided they haven't made the mistake of depending on effects and not telling a good story.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Steve Jobs owns Disney- why am I not surprised?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:

Agreed. It was considered then a technological triumph but an total critical dud. Awful plot and acting. Boring is being kind.

Hollywood is totally bereft of ideas hence a sequel to Tron. What's next- a sequel to Ishtar? or Howard the Duck?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    In a year that debuted Blade Runner, the original TRON was quintessential lameness. The limited CGI was about as basic (awful) as one can get, and the story matched it. 25 years later, with all the technology available now to film producers, the remake looks to be essentially just as bad.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Watching it in 3D tomorrow
  • Reply 17 of 17
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    There will be a 'lynx' iAd in europe from next week.

Quote:

Some may recall Unilever to be one of the big brand names to first jump onto the iAds mobile ads bandwagone way back in June, now Europe?s about to see the first Unilever iAds make their appearance as Apple?s ad system hits Europes this month ? and the ads will feature the ?Lynx effect?.

Unilever is launching a new campaign for Lynx?s Excite range, with a major push through Apple?s iAds, as part of a £8.3m marketing spend. The ?Falling Angels? campaign launches next week and will be supported by print, TV, digital and other activity.

The campaign claims that the new fragrance is ?so tempting, it will make female angels fall from the sky for it?.

iAd folk will be able to watch the ad, download the theme tune from iTunes and use Lynx wallpaper. Unilever?s Lynx brand manager, Selina Sykes, said, ?iAd is the best platform to launch this new variant to reach our target market.?

(Whatever that means ? fret not, gentle readers, editorial about specific ads should only be exciting for a little longer, until we get used to iAds, anyway).