US Army wants to give soldiers a choice of Apple iPhone or Android phone

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    jr_bjr_b Posts: 64member
    Those with access will be able to connect their iPhone to their computers, download files and then transmit them to WikiLeaks without having to use a CD burner.
  • Reply 62 of 76
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Yea, security and distractions will probably be the biggest concerns here. Perhaps there will be a "home" mode and a "deployed" mode (which presumably would prohibit Angry Birds)?

Giving every single soldier an iPhone is probably overkill. Perhaps only platoon leaders or senior NCOs should get them, at least at first? Scattering 100,00 devices with access to intelligence across Afghanistan is just asking for trouble.

Although, that would be sweet to be able to view a drone video feed from your iPhone! Their power as a portable, easy to use, cheap, all-purpose computer is amazing though and could be very useful. All of the R&D is already done! Creating all of these functions from scratch would cost the Army billions, whereas a wholesale contract would only cost a couple hundred per device.

Yep, Apple could make a specialized version you'd think. It would be a pretty good PR product too.
  • Reply 63 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jr_b View Post

Those with access will be able to connect their iPhone to their computers, download files and then transmit them to WikiLeaks without having to use a CD burner.

Now now ...
  • Reply 64 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post

I would have actually thought that they would be more interested in Xserves. Go figure.

... or any server with a modern OS (i.e. not running an OS from MS) you'd think.
  • Reply 65 of 76
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    I can see this going a long way towards cutting down on incidents of friendly fire.
  • Reply 66 of 76
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    what a waste of taxpayers dollars. they can probably afford to purchase their own mobile phones.

the army should consider equipping our troops with adequate body armor or other form of adequate protection for those in the line of fire, instead.

an iphone for each troop? ludicrous!
  • Reply 67 of 76
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Giving soldiers a choice is a bad idea from a security standpoint. The military needs a choose a single platform that they can devote 100% of their energies to securing then mandate that platform be the only one authorized.
  • Reply 68 of 76
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

The fact that Blackberry isn't even listed shows just how far RIM has fallen. Three years ago I'm sure blackberry would have been the only device in contention thanks to their security features.

But I agree with others here -- the iPhone is now best suited to this job. Android both lacks security and ease of use.

This has more to do with Obama's 'protectionist' economic policies then anything else.
  • Reply 69 of 76
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    If the Army decides to go with Apples iPhone, then soldiers could use FACETIME to video chat with their love ones when they have free time.
  • Reply 70 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

This has more to do with Obama's 'protectionist' economic policies then anything else.

Uhh....I am pretty sure he is, or was a crackbery addict.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/29/o...no-fun-should/
  • Reply 71 of 76
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post

My issue comes in the form of the line blurred between a device issued for WORK, as opposed to a NON-ESSENTIAL item for personal use like a smartphone. This is where my "entitlement" quip comes in... but a smartphone is neither an essential nor an entitlement.

KazKam,

first I understand your argument and so does the Army. There is already protocol for similar situations and for exceptions.

Many soldiers work on Army issued computers (laptops and desktops) and have network connections, kind of like businesses, but the rules are much stricter in the Army. You are allowed to use your computer to browse sites and do some personal work, but ARCENT (the army IT police) monitor usage and have rights to system, and also block many websites.

Additionally, all soldiers are required to check their Army issued (AKO) email regularly; smartphones would help with this.

Many of the commanders are already issued Blackberrys, but those have additional security features installed on them. Since commanders are required to be available 24 hours a day 7 days a week the Army has determined that it is better to have them use the same phone for all purposes, but again there are limits and you have no privacy rights.

Additionally, the Army gets unlimited licenses for its software (probably will be similar with apps), so it does not cost more for the soldier to install windows office on their home computer, but if they do official work on their system the restrictions and security requirements apply.

If and when the Army adopts smartphones for the force it will be on their terms and restrictions with their additional registry controls with app restrictions and so forth.

As a active member of the force, I found my personal iphone invaluable while in Iraq and other places, and wish that I could have used it for even more operational advantages.

Now this is an example of what can be done, but I do not expect to be broadly provided:

I was able to inconspicuously have my phone in an active call blue-toothed to my Oakley Rokr Pro sunglasses while questioning a "person" and showing them some documents on my phone. The whole while voice analysis of the "person" and an earlier-taken smartphone photo are being compared to provide positive ID realtime with feed back in my ear for the next step. ( I do not expect the Army to issue the sunglasses

There are real advantages of a smartphone and there certainly will be usage restrictions and limits. There will be some abuse as already happens, the serious stuff gets time in Leavenworth and the minor stuff results in lost privileges or pay.
  • Reply 72 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Most Popular App: WikiLeaks (Battlefield Edition)

That's hilarious!! Although the "App Store" would reject it so it would be Android only unless the soldier "military breaks" their iPhone.
  • Reply 73 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The idea is to make it easier for soldiers to access data and receive updates on the go, no matter where they are. Devices like the iPhone are powerful and portable enough that the Army believes they will fit the bill for soldiers.

"

Defense contracting is one of the most lucrative portions of today's economy. Apple could land $100M+ contracts if it plays its cards right. It would be good to have the military buy American too.
  • Reply 74 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gfeier View Post

This matches up very well with the (rumored) release of the Verizon iPhone.

Yes, Verizon iPhone would work well overseas
  • Reply 75 of 76
    Hopefully whatever Smartphone the ARMY decides on will NOT be on AT&T , unless the ARMY is are enemy. LOL
  • Reply 76 of 76
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    They say if you have a limited budget, and you want to make the best army you can, buy them 2 things: guns and radios. The modern equivalent of that is buying them guns and networked pocket computers, which is what the iPhone basically is.

With the right software, e.g. integrating Google maps with live imagery from circling drones, and GPS letting them see where each other are, it could be a huge advantage. Of course as others have said, if it was hacked by the enemy it could be devastating.