Hey,it's legal to beat your kids in Delaware!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Today I was stopped at a traffic light and saw a woman hit her daughter in the face hard enough that her head jerked back like Kennedy being shot.The woman was flipping out and screaming at her.The girl was about 16 or 17 and was driving when her mother hit her,then her mother ordered her to get out of the car and switch seats with her.Then the mother kept threatening the girl and ,the girl was basically cowering,I could tell that she was used to being treated that way,there were tears running down her entire face,it was terrible.So I went to the police station to report the incident and the first thing they told me was that it was legal for parents to hit their children,finally,after I pestered them for a while they took down a report,I gave them the license plate number and everything,but from their attitudes I'm sure they did nothing.How can it be legal to do something to a defenseless girl that would be illegal to do to an adult?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Welcome to the real world.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by Rick1138:

<strong>Today I was stopped at a traffic light and saw a woman hit her daughter in the face hard enough that her head jerked back like Kennedy being shot.The woman was flipping out and screaming at her.The girl was about 16 or 17 and was driving when her mother hit her,then her mother ordered her to get out of the car and switch seats with her.Then the mother kept threatening the girl and ,the girl was basically cowering,I could tell that she was used to being treated that way,there were tears running down her entire face,it was terrible.So I went to the police station to report the incident and the first thing they told me was that it was legal for parents to hit their children,finally,after I pestered them for a while they took down a report,I gave them the license plate number and everything,but from their attitudes I'm sure they did nothing.How can it be legal to do something to a defenseless girl that would be illegal to do to an adult?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you or have you ever been the parent of a teenager?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    [quote]Originally posted by JRC:

<strong>

Are you or have you ever been the parent of a teenager?</strong><hr></blockquote>

That justifies nothing. A spanking or two when they are young is ok when they don't understand other forms of communication. Beating the crap out of a teenager is wrong.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I am scared of whatever parent has ever hit their kid in the face, especially a daughter. That is probably the most idiotic forms of punishment around.

"Welcome to the real world."

What a crock of shit. If I came to your place and beat the unholy hell out of you you'd chalk it up to that 'ole dog-eat-dog world we live in?
  • Reply 5 of 32
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Don't expect most people to be able to understand or distinguish between punishment and abuse. They think they're being a disciplinarian when in fact they are losing their own self-control, thus defeating the purpose of their punishment by being a bad example.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by Exercise in Frivolity:

<strong>

That justifies nothing. A spanking or two when they are young is ok when they don't understand other forms of communication. Beating the crap out of a teenager is wrong.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree. :eek:
  • Reply 7 of 32
    It's also illegal to teach anything other than Creationism in Kansas.

This world sucks.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    [quote]Originally posted by crawlingparanoia:

<strong>It's also illegal to teach anything other than Creationism in Kansas.

This world sucks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Mills Lane says: Church, State. You guys gotta separate. Church, go back to your corner.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    [quote]Originally posted by crawlingparanoia:

<strong>It's also illegal to teach anything other than Creationism in Kansas.

This world sucks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you think it sucks, do something about it. That is, don't move to Kansas. As for child abuse, yes, it's not good, but it's not exactly easy to stop.

On a slightly un-PC note, sometimes I feel like certain teenagers I know need a good, sound beating in some way or another. The major consideration is that by that stage, a physical beating doesn't tend to "do anything."

In this case, I think a smack across the face may have been appropriate in some respects. It seems that this girl got a bit more than a smack across the face, though. In my experience, teenage girls have a tendency to endanger everyone else on the road, and any device to remove the ego when behind the wheel is good enough for me.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    I have often thought of a few people that could use a good beating...

But it would be pointless, they wouldnt learn anything from it... only that might makes right.

Parents who hit there children only pass on a cycle of violence/fear to the grand children, etc.

------------------------------------

© FERRO 2001-2002
  • Reply 11 of 32
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    The girl in question was being completely passive,that's how children who are used to being abused act,it's really sad.What I witnessed was far over the punishment/abuse line.It was also a family that appeared on the outside to be so "nice",a nice car,a nice home,all the kds in private school where they are on the honor roll,but all so empty and phony.I'm sure everyone would be shocked if the girl ends up hooked on drugs or tries to kill hersef.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    As a libertarian I think the mother has more right on her children than the government.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    What about the rights of the girl? Do you think that parents own their children? Only in a sick society does someone have the "right" to do what I witnessed.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    [quote]Originally posted by soulcrusher:

<strong>As a libertarian I think the mother has more right on her children than the government.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Libertarians also don't believe in the use of offensive force.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    [quote]Originally posted by FERRO:

<strong>I have often thought of a few people that could use a good beating...

But it would be pointless, they wouldnt learn anything from it... only that might makes right.

Parents who hit there children only pass on a cycle of violence/fear to the grand children, etc.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Read my post again. A beating doesn't have to be physical. What they need is a defeated morale, when embarking on the beginning stages of driving.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>

Read my post again. A beating doesn't have to be physical. What they need is a defeated morale, when embarking on the beginning stages of driving.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not a defeated morale, a deflated ego...
  • Reply 17 of 32
    [quote]Originally posted by NoahJ:

<strong>

Not a defeated morale, a deflated ego...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes. verbal diarreah. That's exactly what I meant to say.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    I think that all forms of physical abuse are wrong. No one should ever be allowed to harm anyone else, in any civil situation. If two people are at a passing where they can't civilly speak their respective points, then they should somehow separate themselves, and wait until they can. In a car, special care should be taken. The more experienced driver should prbobably take the wheel, and the two parties should continue the discussion then, or when they get home. I imagine if my Mom hit me that it would only make me angry with her, and distance our relationship. Being fed up is not an excuse for hurting someone.

oh, and by the way, abortion is murder.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    [quote]As a libertarian I think the mother has more right on her children than the government.<hr></blockquote>

A 16/17 year old isn't a child. #1.

People have an inherent right to NOT have the shit beaten out of them.

No offense to you personally, but I don't think most libertarians are actually that.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I've seen spankings on the butt where it was deserved. But after a certain age i think spankings and physical abuse is uncalled for. Not only does it humilliate but it causes resentment that reflects all through life.