Google's Chrome OS assailed by needless, dangerous by critics

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A former Google employee predicted that the company's web-based Chrome OS for netbooks would be canceled next year while GNU founder Richard Stallman warned of its dangerous potential for users.

The apparent success of Android isn't spilling over into Google's parallel Chrome OS project. The official launch of the new operating system has already slipped into the middle of next year, but now critics of all stripes are calling into question whether it's even a good idea.

Tale of Two OSs

Earlier today, Gmail creator Paul Buchheit, who has since left Google for Facebook before founding FriendFeed, predicted via Twitter: "ChromeOS will be killed next year (or ?merged? with Android)."

According to a report by TechCrunch, Buchheit further clarified his thoughts later by adding, "Chrome OS has no purpose that isn?t better served by Android (perhaps with a few mods to support a non-touch display). [...] I was thinking, 'is this too obvious to even state?', but then I see people taking Chrome OS seriously, and Google is even shipping devices for some reason."

That report also noted that Google's chief architect of Chrome OS, Matthew Papakipos, "left Google over the Summer ? for a job at Facebook, Paul Buchheit?s most recent former employer."

In November, a report by Tom Krazit of CNET examined the duality of Google's OS approach, noting that while Google's chief of Android development Andy Rubin originally said that device makers "need different technology for different products," founder Sergey Brin has more recently has stated that "Android and Chrome will likely converge over time."

While both Android and the Chrome OS are built on top of the Linux kernel, neither exposes much if any of the typical Linux user environment. Android is essentially a modified version of JavaME, while Chrome OS uses HTML5 to build its apps.

Google employees have previously stated that the company sees web apps as the future, making it more likely that Android would merge into Chrome OS, rather than Chrome OS being incorporated a part of the existing Android.

Putting two and two together

Microsoft's chief executive Steve Ballmer has taken potshots at Google's dual OS strategy, telling his audience of Windows developers in January, "I don't know if they can't make up their mind or what the problem is over there, but the last time I checked, you don't need two client operating systems [Android and Chrome OS]. It's good to have one."

Ironically, Microsoft itself offers dual operating systems, with Windows 7 targeted at conventional computers and netbooks, while its media players and smartphones run a completely different Windows CE kernel and use their own unique development frameworks. Microsoft also spent most of the 90s trying to harmonize its DOS-based Windows with its new Windows NT operating system, a project that took far longer to complete than originally anticipated.

In contrast, Apple uses a single core OS and a unified set of development tools across its entire lineup, from the iPhone and iPod touch to the iPad and Apple TV and its Mac OS X computers. A decade ago, however, Apple was torn between its old Classic Mac OS and the new NeXTSTEP OS it had acquired from Steve Jobs' NeXT. It struggled for more than half a decade to merge the two.

The"careless" cloud

Meanwhile, on the other end of the spectrum, GNU founder Richard Stallman has derided Chrome OS as an attempt to "push people into careless computing," according to a report by The Guardian.

Stallman orchestrated the Free Software movement, which promotes a specific type of freedom in software: the ability of users to modify their own software as they see fit, rather than being stuck with commercial, proprietary software they can't modify. Stallman's GNU software makes up the upper portion of most Linux distributions and portions are incorporated into Apple's Mac OS X.

The problem Stallman outlines for Chrome OS isn't proprietary software (Chrome OS is an open source project), but rather the fact that Google is using it to create a new kind of cloud-based computing environment where most of users' data is stored on Google's servers.

"Two years ago," the report stated, "Stallman, a computing veteran who is a strong advocate of free software via his Free Software Foundation, warned that making extensive use of cloud computing was 'worse than stupidity' because it meant a loss of control of data." By hosting all their data on the cloud, users would be ceding control of their information to other parties, giving up legal rights in the process, Stallman warned.

"In essence, Chrome OS is the GNU/Linux operating system," Stallman stated. "However, it is delivered without the usual applications, and rigged up to impede and discourage installing applications. I'd say the problem is in the nature of the job Chrome OS is designed to do. Namely, encourage you to keep your data elsewhere, and do your computing elsewhere, instead of doing it in your own computer."

Stallman added, "I think that marketers like 'cloud computing' because it is devoid of substantive meaning. [?] Perhaps the term 'careless computing' would suit it better."

The cloudy future

Apple's current answer to cloud computing, MobileMe, has largely served as an optional way for users to backup, sync, and publish information that lives on the users' local computer. Chrome OS takes this a set further in moving most of the users' data online, shifting the personal computer into a web terminal that accesses information stored almost entirely in the cloud.

Microsoft has hinted at having a similar cloud-centric plan for its upcoming Windows 8. Apple's future plans for Mac OS X Lion revolve around local apps the user can buy online and download to use locally, much like the iOS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 132
    It is CARELESS computing for sure. The BIG brother can get your info easier without a court order. Why will anyone want to keep their personal information on any server.

With Chrome OS and other cloud-based computing, everything you do is out of your control. I will not attempt it, even if they pay me to use it. It is a disastrous proposition.

You are forewarned!
  • Reply 2 of 132
    Does anyone really care what Steve Baldmer has to say any more?
  • Reply 3 of 132
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Microsoft should be scared. Chrome OS offers a lightweight OS for Atom-based and other slower machines that Windows OS (desktop) can't match while also being easy to use, which no version of common Linux-builds on a netbook can match. I can see Chrome OS quickly capturing a great deal of MS' Windows business in a very short time.
  • Reply 4 of 132
    I think that the Chrome OS as a true OS in which a person would only work is a failed idea. We need local storage for privacy and convenience, and I personally wouldn't trust all my data or information to the cloud, anyone's cloud, be it Apple, Google, or Microsoft. The cloud is good for a few things, but seriously, I worry that we would be trusting it too much. We get all this fun for free now, but just think where it is going. (Like, the pay for web apps in Chrome Web Store? That's just the beginning!) I don't really like where its all headed.

However, a quick booting OS that can boot within seconds that only gives you the web, I think is a great idea. I don't want to be waiting for a full OS, with all of its services to load up just to check something online, (Yes yes, we all know of the MacBook Air) or even to have a full OS to do just that. If they can get it so standard computers/netbooks/notebooks can boot to a web browser in under 10 seconds, then I am game. For some, buying a whole new computer/tablet would be out of the question, so bringing added usability to our existing computers would be fantastic!

All that said, AI, just exactly how much do you hate anything non-Apple? If you haven't noticed already, articles in this kind of tone make for some testy forums. Granted, it gets you hits... mine included.
  • Reply 5 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by booradley View Post

Has anyone ever really cared what Steve Baldmer has to say?

Fixed!!
  • Reply 6 of 132
    I have high hopes for the future of Chrome OS. In my life (climbing guide and carpenter) the ability to access data over the network is crucial. I think that data should be stored on a local server/desktop that runs OSX, linux, or windows. The potential has been demonstrated by CITRIX and the playing field is wide open.

Android seems to be a quick response to IOS, I could see Chrome benefiting from that technology to bring a more mobile Chrome OS.
  • Reply 7 of 132
    Clearly a hybrid would be the best solution. I have to agree with Paul Buchheit that Chrome OS does seem pointless.
  • Reply 8 of 132
    Chrome would alienate Android developers-- would you ever trust Google again? It seems more likely that a Salesforce would want to tackle that project...
  • Reply 9 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft's chief executive Steve Ballmer has taken potshots at Google's dual OS strategy, telling his audience of Windows developers in January, "I don't know if they can't make up their mind or what the problem is over there, but the last time I checked, you don't need two client operating systems [Android and Chrome OS]. It's good to have one."

Now Google knows that its two OS strategy will definitely work.
  • Reply 10 of 132
    Chrome OS is probably going to die. It may be nice but stuff like splashtop already exist and is just about instant on as you can get on x86 machines.

If they are going to do something, do it right. ARM tablets are only getting better, and the ipad shows that its new line of thinking is how computers should work.
  • Reply 11 of 132
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 12 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by booradley View Post

Does anyone really care what Steve Balmer has to say any more?

Does anyone care what Richard Stallman has to say anymore either?
  • Reply 13 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Clearly a hybrid would be the best solution. I have to agree with Paul Buchheit that Chrome OS does seem pointless.

Yeah, Chrome is about "doing everything in the browser" based on the assumption that this would be easier for most people, but not only has that assumption never been proven, people are already moving away from the browser because it's considered too difficult for most people.

This is something that rarely filters through the mind of a techie (like most who visit this forum), but the best thing about the rise of the new mobile platform is that it's bringing in a whole lot of new users that found "traditional" computing (including web browsers), too complicated and confusing.

Chrome OS is just not a good OS for anyone but a fairly technical user. And it simply won't get any market share beyond those users. iOS on the other hand is exactly what Chrome promised it would be from the outset. A new, simple, always "on" OS that any idiot can use with a lot of the back end in the cloud. Chrome has no purpose now.
  • Reply 14 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

"assailed by needless"?

Seriously. [shakes head] I can tell a DED article just by the drama of the title. Important points to be sure but "assailed"? Maybe I should just be glad he's not typing in all caps.
  • Reply 15 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

"assailed by needless"?

I have read this title numerous times yet am still unable to make sense of it - does it actually make sense???
  • Reply 16 of 132
    I travel the country. I have many computers, laptops and desktops. I have a smart phone. I have an iPad. MobileMe has lots of problems (lots of them) but it will get there like anything. And the fact I can sync my data to "the cloud" and get to it from anywhere is what cloud is all about. Your data can be encrypted. And unless you give out your key, DES is not going to be unencrypted. We are still at the very early stages of this cloud concept. I've been in the IT industry since the late 70's (ouch) and any technology worth its salt, is always improved over time. With the possible exception of Windows.
  • Reply 17 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

I have read this title numerous times yet am still unable to make sense of it - does it actually make sense???

It makes sense if you change it to read "assailed as needless"
  • Reply 18 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

I travel the country. I have many computers, laptops and desktops. I have a smart phone. I have an iPad. MobileMe has lots of problems (lots of them) but it will get there like anything. And the fact I can sync my data to "the cloud" and get to it from anywhere is what cloud is all about. Your data can be encrypted. And unless you give out your key, DES is not going to be unencrypted. We are still at the very early stages of this cloud concept. I've been in the IT industry since the late 70's (ouch) and any technology worth its salt, is always improved over time. With the possible exception of Windows.

I hope you meant AES not DES (which is incredibly insecure)....
  • Reply 18 of 132
    Chrome OS hat it's users which just don't need more than it has to offer... so i'm pretty sure it will take a nice 20% bite out of the windows market within 12-24 months after release.

Unless there is a similar offer from anyone... so far there is none.

Anyways... funny you guys would misuse Stallman to make a point since Apple represents pretty much the opposite of Stallmans beliefs.
  • Reply 20 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John Goodman View Post

It makes sense if you change it to read "assailed as needless"

Not sure it does even then.....