Google's Chrome OS assailed by needless, dangerous by critics

Comments

• Reply 81 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

This is the same writer that on Monday said Microsoft re-branded Windows CE as Windows XP Embedded to escape the negative stigma of Windows CE's failures.

I think the other writers at AI need to pull Mr Dilger aside and have a quiet word about writing articles on subjects where he is hopelessly outside of his comfort zone.

Giving an article a bias toward Apple is on an Apple-centric site is expected, but getting basic factual content wrong... that's simply not a good idea on any respectable tech site.

I think Mr Dilger needs to stay inside the Appleverse where he knows his stuff.

Oh dear, you are ranting again.

DED articles are well researched and I enjoy reading them, if you don't, then STFU, we don't want to hear your opinions troll.
  • Reply 82 of 132
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Oh dear you you are ranting again.

DED articles are well researched and I enjoy reading them, if you don't then STFU, we don't want to hear your opinions troll.

Well researched when he says that Android is bases on JavaME?
  • Reply 83 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pwj View Post

I agree

Unfortunately, I found that his articles detract from the site. They tend to be based solely on shamelessly attacking Google while providing no new insight or analysis on the matter

And the notion of an Apple site quoting Stallman! The irony! I can't think of any guy who is more antithetical to Apple's computing philosophy than Stallman. Mr Dilger, you know this man browses the web by downloading webpages as plain text to his email, right? You also know that he also advocates for users having complete control over their hardware and software, down to the right to access and modify the source code, right?

The GNU GPL. Look it up. Last time I checked, this website seems to hate it (I think I remember some article about the iPad VLC media app)

Meh. That's technology for you.

A far scarier prospect for me has always been the cellular telcos and Facebook. The telcos essentially know your location all the time that your phone is on their network; we have no privacy of location any more. But I never see people bitching at their cell phone company for keeping records of their location

Same with Facebook. Half a billion people around the world are actively giving Facebook intimate details about their likes, interests, social conversations, activities (tagged bar photos, anyone?), etc. Total loss of privacy in your personal life

And Facebook has a terrible track record with privacy. Absolutely terrible

The price of technologic progress is privacy. That's just how it is.

Though the iPad can't be used as a primary computing device; it has to be tethered to a mother ship computer running iTunes. I think this is the iPad's single greatest disadvantage; it can't wholly replace a "full" computer.

Theoretically, a Chrome OS device could be used as a primary computer. From my perspective as a student, I could do serious word processing on some online document service and survive; I can't imagine writing a 4200 word paper on an iPad.

Are you nuts ? I can get an iPad activated at an Apple shop, and if I wanted to NEVER have to connect it to any device. So whats your point ?
  • Reply 84 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You're right -- and that's pretty scary! Hopefully, as scary to users as to MS.

As an aside...

I stopped reading DED's blog several years ago because i† was too biased for me (an overt Apple fan).

With the continuous onslaught of this same, over the to top reporting from AI, it is losing its value as a source of information and discussion.

There are many reasoned an intelligent people here -- why does AI allow DED to repeatedly set an agenda that brings out the worst...

Mel... ?

Ever heard of the concept called choice ? If you no like, you no read.

I like his articles but don't go around ranting about them unless its to prove to people like you that one should not go around ranting negatives about someone.

No need to tell us, and I won't tell you that I like his articles. Win, win for both of us, do you dig ?
  • Reply 85 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

but I've stated here in assorted threads that I think Apple should take a look at an easy to use, consumer friendly server setup. Especially since iOS is their cash-cow going forward. Whether a NAS, Drobo-type, Mac-Mini, whatever. A media and document server that works across the entire Mac OSX and iOS line-up of devices. WITH connectivity options for when you're on the go with one of the mobile devices.

The iHub/iHome is a pet topic of mine

I think it would be really interesting to see a small embedded (A4/iOS maybe?) appliance-like device with a number of hard drives that offers:

* Media/iTunes storage and streaming to network devices (iPod/iPhone/iPad/Apple TV/Macbook Air/Air Tunes etc)

* Shared TimeMachine

* Data sync between all network devices. Possibly even user profile sync on iPad.

* Backup to the cloud

* The ability to activate/sync iDevices over-the-air

A device like this would actually allow for a desktop free home - and if you believe the tech pundits this is the direction we are heading.
  • Reply 86 of 132
    Quote:

DED articles are well researched and I enjoy reading them, if you don't, then STFU, we don't want to hear your opinions troll.

Cheers! Two personal attacks and still no rebuttal, I must be doing well!!!

As a side project you should look up the definition of an " internet troll". You might get an ironic surprise!
  • Reply 87 of 132
    Quote:

No, your reply is a rant. His comment was well-written and very level-headed. Yours, on the other hand, was not, resorting to foul language ("STFU") and name calling ("troll").

Dilger's "articles" are bad jokes. The fact that he had to resort to using quotes from Ballmer pretty clearly shows that since he has consistently painted the man as a fool in previous articles.

It's refreshing to see others complaining about Dilger's crap opinion pieces appearing on AI.
  • Reply 88 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

Add to that the spectre of the tablet with its instant-on, ready to go browser and snuggle-up-in-a-chair-and-browse appeal and I just think Chrome OS is going to have only niche appeal. It should be scrapped, but whether it will be or not is another matter.

I would love to have a cheap web browsing tablet on my couch. And for Netflix in bed it would be great.
  • Reply 89 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

microsoft should be scared. Chrome os offers a lightweight os for atom-based and other slower machines that windows os (desktop) can't match while also being easy to use, which no version of common linux-builds on a netbook can match. I can see chrome os quickly capturing a great deal of ms' windows business in a very short time.

timed out waiting for response from server please try again later :d
  • Reply 90 of 132
    Quote:

Google employees have previously stated that the company sees web apps as the future, making it more likely that Android would merge into Chrome OS.

I don't see this happening.

Android has the installed base and momentum. It can also run web apps.
  • Reply 91 of 132
    Quote:

Microsoft should be scared. Chrome OS offers a lightweight OS for Atom-based and other slower machines that Windows OS (desktop) can't match while also being easy to use, which no version of common Linux-builds on a netbook can match. I can see Chrome OS quickly capturing a great deal of MS' Windows business in a very short time.

Chrome OS as it stands = EPIC FAIL
  • Reply 92 of 132
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    So many odd posts here.

I say a browser-based OS has a chance to run on slower HW than the resource heavy Windows and I get attacked that Google is controlling everything you do so it can’t work, despite proof that Android, Gmail, search etc. are all working, though that’s besides the point since my comment wasn’t about how you feel about a company.

Then there are posts saying that a browser-based OS can’t work because if you’re not online you can’t do anything, despite (what should be known to everyone on this site) HTML5’s local DB options. Then there are the repeated demos and info about Google Docs and other browser-based apps being used completely offline.

Perhaps oddest of all is the post saying that people don’t use or understand how to navigate a web browser, which is proof a browser-based OS will fail.

A little common sense people. There is only one way that Windows marketshare will fall significantly. It’s not the crappy Linux distros that have existed in the pats and that most people can’t use. It’s not Mac OS X, which Apple doesn’t license and only sells on their HW at the premium end of the market. The only option is a cheaper and lighter OS that can saturate the low end of the market. So quit with your pointless anti-Google rhetoric, put down your pitchforks, extinguish your torches, and look at the technology that is being produced and has been produced by others. A little objectivity can go a long way.
  • Reply 93 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Quote:

Microsoft should be scared. Chrome OS offers a lightweight OS for Atom-based and other slower machines that Windows OS (desktop) can't match while also being easy to use, which no version of common Linux-builds on a netbook can match

Is that confirmed or an assumption? Has anyone actually released benchmarks of this vs the same hardware running W7 Starter?

I just can't shake the feeling that if a website runs like a dog in W7 Starter it's going to run like a dog in ChromeOS as well.

OK. So out of interest I installed a W7 Starter copy to a VM.

The standard desktop boot chews up 321MB of RAM which is actually really surprising to me (normal Windows can easily use over 1GB without opening an application).

The HDD usage is disappointing at 6.5GB. That's about the same as a standard Windows install.

CPU cycles are pretty much flat-lining which is to be expected in a stripped down OS like this.

The cold boot time is nothing to write home about. At around 40 seconds it's not any faster than a normal Windows 7 installation.

I can't test a sleep/wake cycle as it's running in a VM.

Every else seems to be as responsive as a normal Windows 7 installation, but it's using around a GB less RAM and no extra CPU cycles managing a bunch of background processes.

I'll have to try and get my hands on a copy of ChromeOS so I can benchmark them against each other on the same hardware.
  • Reply 94 of 132
    Quote:

"I don't know if they can't make up their mind or what the problem is over there, but the last time I checked, you don't need two client operating systems [Android and Chrome OS]. It's good to have one."

...well as long as you have a Basic, Home, Professional and Ultimate versions in both 32-bit and 64-bit flavors. Right?
  • Reply 95 of 132
    Quote:

So many odd posts here.

I say a browser-based OS has a chance to run on slower HW than the resource heavy Windows and I get attacked that Google is controlling everything you do so it can?t work, despite proof that Android, Gmail, search etc. are all working, though that?s besides the point since my comment wasn?t about how you feel about a company.

Then there are posts saying that a browser-based OS can?t work because if you?re not online you can?t do anything, despite (what should be known to everyone on this site) HTML5?s local DB options. Then there are the repeated demos and info about Google Docs and other browser-based apps being used completely offline.

Perhaps oddest of all is the post saying that people don?t use or understand how to navigate a web browser, which is proof a browser-based OS will fail.

A little common sense people. There is only one way that Windows marketshare will fall significantly. It?s not the crappy Linux distros that have existed in the pats and that most people can?t use. It?s not Mac OS X, which Apple doesn?t license and only sells on their HW at the premium end of the market. The only option is a cheaper and lighter OS that can saturate the low end of the market. So quit with your pointless anti-Google rhetoric, put down your pitchforks, extinguish your torches, and look at the technology that is being produced and has been produced by others. A little objectivity can go a long way.

as mobile devices become more and more important the winner is going to be the one that gives us the most seamless experience between desktop and mobile device. a web browser won't cut it on its own. Google has always been stupid in producing products that require EVERYONE to be on a google account. so we get fail, fail, fail one after the other.

gmail is NOT the big dog in email. it is big but last i checked it wasn't even number 2.

i have to say MS has the best offering for cloud. more storage, more options, better privacy? but sweet jesus could someone go in and redesign that awful interface?

uh, losing my focus here...too many allergy meds.....f*** it all, i went with ubuntu and will probably go with ubuntu netbook edition soon and would even go with ubuntu phone os (if they had one).

if ubuntu-one had email i would go with that and drop gmail.
  • Reply 96 of 132
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 97 of 132
    Quote:

So many odd posts here.

So quit with your pointless anti-Google rhetoric, put down your pitchforks, extinguish your torches, and look at the technology that is being produced and has been produced by others. A little objectivity can go a long way.

Seems to me the alarm against Google, the world's most pervasive and abusive data miner, can't be sounded loud enough or long enough.
  • Reply 98 of 132
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Does Netflix run on Android tablets? It isn't available for Linux because of its dependency on Microsoft's Silverlite.

At least runs on Google TV
  • Reply 99 of 132
    Quote:

Microsoft should be scared. Chrome OS offers a lightweight OS for Atom-based and other slower machines that Windows OS (desktop) can't match while also being easy to use, which no version of common Linux-builds on a netbook can match. I can see Chrome OS quickly capturing a great deal of MS' Windows business in a very short time.

Actually, given the momentum of Android, if I were Google I'd kill off Chrome as soon as possible and bring Android 3 up to full spec for everything from phones to netbooks. Chrome seems like it is in no man's land, particularly going up against Windows 7 and iOS/MacOSX.

Chrome's reliance on the cloud is a little silly still at this stage IMO... Go to a meeting, oops, no Internet for some reason... Chaos. Yes there is local caching and what not but still, I don't think it is clear how it will pan out. Plus, is Google expecting everyone to now start developing for Chrome as well? Something doesn't add up.

If anything, why is there no credible Office replacement on any platform? Sure, we can now almost have any OS and any device, but a core reason people are stuck in Windows is for MS Office. Google should focus on Android 3 "full spec" and start building an Office better than MS Office but still 110% compatible.
  • Reply 100 of 132
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Actually, given the momentum of Android, if I were Google I'd kill off Chrome as soon as possible and bring Android 3 up to full spec for everything from phones to netbooks. Chrome seems like it is in no man's land, particularly going up against Windows 7 and iOS/MacOSX..

What you?re suggesting is making Android a desktop OS, which means adding a mouse pointer, which means a completely different UI and different I/O to control it. Apple didn?t use the Mac OS X UI for the iPhone or iPad because it wouldn?t work. They also didn?t have two UIs into the same OS. Just like Android, Chrome OS is based off of Linux, just as Mac OS X and iOS are based off of Darwin, but with disparate Uis for different input methods. Chrome OS ?is? a desktop OS.

Quote:

hrome's reliance on the cloud is a little silly still at this stage IMO... Go to a meeting, oops, no Internet for some reason... Chaos. Yes there is local caching and what not but still, I don't think it is clear how it will pan out. Plus, is Google expecting everyone to now start developing for Chrome as well? Something doesn't add up..

It would be the same for any PC where you?ve stored your data remotely, don?t have a local copy and then realize you don?t have access to the internet. Chrome OS has local storage via HTML5 DBs. It can also store and read files from HDDs that could be internal (though Google suggests NAND for booting), but this could be an external HDD, a separate internal HDD, or simply your most recent spreadsheet document saved in the native HTML5 DB. Browser-based OS ≠ Internet required.

Quote:

If anything, why is there no credible Office replacement on any platform? Sure, we can now almost have any OS and any device, but a core reason people are stuck in Windows is for MS Office. Google should focus on Android 3 "full spec" and start building an Office better than MS Office but still 110% compatible.

Windows is around for many reasons, but a simple to use, lightweight and cheap browser-based OS is the real threat to MS? Windows empire. I?d think more people around here would be happy about that. I think this will spark MS trying to do the same to maintain its hegemony, and we?ll see Apple release a web-based version of iTunes that completely renders in a web-page. That isn?t to say that MS will drop their normal version of Windows or Apple will kill their regular versions of iTunes, but this will be an alternative.