Canadian iBookstore approved, Rogers to unlock iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The Canadian government has formally approved the Canadian version of the iBookstore, while wireless carrier Rogers has begun unlocking iPhones for customers that have finished their contract or purchased the handset unsubsidized.

iBookstore

The Ministry of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages announced Tuesday that it was granting formal approval of Apple's iBookstore, MacNN reports.

"Our Government is committed to strengthening Canada's economy through all its sectors, especially arts and culture," said Minister James Moore. "Apple has demonstrated how iBookstore Canada represents new opportunities for Canadian authors and publishers, and I have determined that this investment will be of net benefit to Canada."

According to the press release, Apple has committed to the promotion of Canadian-authored French- and English-language titles in the iBookstore in Canada and internationally; increased opportunities for Canadian publishers and authors; increased access to titles from Aboriginal authors and publishers; assistance to Canadian publishers in streamlining processes of e-book creation and enhancement.

Though a limited version of the iBookstore has been available in Canada until now, offering some US-based paid titles and public domain works, government approval of a Canadian iBookstore should help draw Canadian publishers to Apple's eBook platform.

iPhone unlocked

Canadian carrier Rogers has reportedly begun unlocking iPhones for customers who have finished their contracts or bought an unsubsidized handset. The new policy for Rogers sub-brand Fido allows qualifying customers to unlock their iPhones for a $50 fee plus applicable taxes, iPhone in Canada reports.

To qualify, customers must have an account in good standing; have finished their contract or paid the unsubsidized cost for the device 30 days prior and unlock a device that is listed in their equipment history.

According to the report, Fido user Argun Tekant was able to successfully unlock an iPhone 3GS. Tekant claims he tested AT&T, O2 UK, and Wind SIMs to verify the unlock.

Canada, along with the UK and France, was one of the first countries to sell the iPhone 4 unlocked and SIM-free.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    Why the hell does our government need to approve a BOOK STORE?

And yes, it's about freakin' time Rogers started unlocking iPhones that aren't being subsidized anymore. Hell, last year when I went to the Apple store about buying an iPhone 3GS outright, the Apple store manager insisted that all smartphones were locked in North America.

At least this year, I could buy an iPhone 4 unlocked straight from Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

At least this year, I could buy an iPhone 4 unlocked straight from Apple.

Do you have to use the computer after changing SIM cards to re-register the phone? Way back, the jailbreak was more effective than a carrier unlock...
  • Reply 3 of 55
    Quote:

Ask the French-Canadian lobby.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Yeah, First Amendment. Few people realize that speech is not as free as they might think outside the USA.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

Yeah, First Amendment. Few people realize that speech is not as free as they might think outside the USA.

We also Learnt recently that it is not as free as we might think inside the USA too.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Quote:

...And few Americans realize how ridiculously USA-centric their view of the world is.

If anything, the rules are about preserving free speech. It's not exactly difficult to find American-produced content up here in Canada. In fact, we're inundated by it. While I don't necessarily agree with all of their decisions, they make them for a reason. It's not about limiting what people say. It's about making sure that, in Canada, Canadians have a voice loud enough to be heard over the racket from down south.

Am I glad we have the iBookstore in Canada now? Yup. Do I think it should have been allowed sooner? Possibly. Do I think the government got positive concessions out of Apple, that will improve Canadian free speech, by holding out? Absolutely!
  • Reply 7 of 55
    Quote:

Is it also customary down south to act before you think (read)?

"According to the press release, Apple has committed to the promotion of Canadian-authored French- and English-language titles in the iBookstore in Canada and internationally; increased opportunities for Canadian publishers and authors; increased access to titles from Aboriginal authors and publishers; assistance to Canadian publishers in streamlining processes of e-book creation and enhancement."
  • Reply 8 of 55
    Why the hell would I hand over $50 to Rogers to unlock MY phone? I'm on contract with Rogers for the exact same price as people with subsidized phones, but I brought my own!! My phone! And I pay them over $100 a month for my service. A month! Good thing I'm happy with the service.

Sorry, but $50 is ridiculous. I'd pay $10 tops. What does the cost cover?
  • Reply 9 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Is it also customary down south to act before you think (read)?

"According to the press release, Apple has committed to the promotion of Canadian-authored French- and English-language titles in the iBookstore in Canada and internationally; increased opportunities for Canadian publishers and authors; increased access to titles from Aboriginal authors and publishers; assistance to Canadian publishers in streamlining processes of e-book creation and enhancement."

Still - why do you need an approval of the government to expand a BOOK STORE?

I think the article is not precise enough on what exactly the government did and why it was necessary. Bad article?
  • Reply 10 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luinil View Post

We also Learnt recently that it is not as free as we might think inside the USA too.

Amen to that.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    This will be a very unpopular viewpoint but, as a Canadian, I believe that we do have unique cultures to protect. Without Canadian rules governing bookstore content the store would be filled with 99% American authours. Yes, I spell authour with a 'u' and I intend to continue doing so!
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Why the hell would I hand over $50 to Rogers to unlock MY phone? I'm on contract with Rogers for the exact same price as people with subsidized phones, but I brought my own!! My phone! And I pay them over $100 a month for my service. A month! Good thing I'm happy with the service.

Agree! One last mugging before you're allowed to go get mugged from another Carrier. I have an unlocked original iPhone with Fido and fit really feels like I've overpayed. I thought with more carrier competition the rates would have come down.

But I guess I thought the same about basic internet access. \
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Quote:

Same reason Canada governs it's banking systems? You do know none of your banks went tits up with the recession and needed no public monies to be bailed out.

If I were you, I would stop complaining and just enjoy the book store eh... It seems the government knows what is best to protect the writers and literature market in Canada.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Nice of the Government to approve.

I wonder when the publishers/distributors will.

The Canadian iBookstore choice is pathetic, the Kindles not much better.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    Here in Canada we can just buy iPhones unlocked, so why buy one on contract? If you own an iPhone 3 and want an unlocked iPhone, then the iPhone 4 is a much better choice than kludges that free your old phone from contract.

Even more importantly, what sort of morons are still signing contracts with Rogers? (leaving aside service shortcomings, Rogers don't exactly have a great customer relations record where contracts are involved)
  • Reply 16 of 55
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    I got my iPhone unlocked by Rogers yesterday for the $50. I felt the same way as others, that why the hell should I pay for them to unlock my own property? My contract means that the subsidy will be repaid, either through the 3 year contract or through the early termination fee. I actually think locking of phones should be illegal in most countries as it would fall under restraint of trade. Could also be considered a racket, since they lock/cripple the phones and then charge you to uncripple/unlock the phones. "I won't break your legs if you pay me $50." And I suppose it could also be considered illegal tying/bundling. How the hell does the wireless industry (around the world) get away with locking when it seems it would violate a number of laws?

Anyway, my phone is now unlocked. In my personal situation, I can't complain about the $50 too much, since they gave me the iPhone 4 for free after some negotiating in the summer. So, I end up with an Apple unlocked iP4 for $50, though I will be paying much more over the remainder of the contract. But, if I had paid the regular subsidized price and was locked into a contract for 3 years (potentially 4.5 years with Rogers subsidiary Fido, because they stack contracts if you renew before the end of the term).
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Quote:

Canada has pretty stringent laws regarding the sale and broadcasting (I think iBookstore counts as both) of non-Canadian works. It's supposed to be an act to preserve our culture in the face of large amounts of Americanism our neighbour is spitting out, but in reality, it's frustrating for the average consumer. It's why many book releases get delayed in Canada. It's why Canadian TV and movies suck (those made by Canadian companies, even though a large amount of TV shows and movies now are filmed in Canada). Amazon.ca is atrocious. Know those multi-million-dollar Superbowl commercials? Yeah, Canadians don't see those - broadcasters are required, by law, to replace all advertising on American feeds with Canadian ads. It's why Canadian carriers can gouge us in prices - local startups don't have the capital to compete and it's incredibly difficult for an international company to come in and compete.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aestival View Post

Here in Canada we can just buy iPhones unlocked, so why buy one on contract? If you own an iPhone 3 and want an unlocked iPhone, then the iPhone 4 is a much better choice than kludges that free your old phone from contract.

Because of the subsidy. If you buy an unlocked phone, that's great if you travel. But while in Canada, you are still going to pay the same extortionist fees to whatever carrier you choose, whether you are on a contract or not. I've been with my carrier for over a decade, so why would I continue to pay them the same monthly fee and not get some advantage from it, like a $500 subsidy? If you and I were with the same carrier and wanted the same plan, we would pay the same monthly fee. The difference would be you would pay $650 upfront for your phone and I would pay $159, but you could walk away whenever you wanted to. If we both stay for 3 years, you just paid $490 more than me. Additionally, by being on a contract, I can negotiate the same plan for less through their Loss and Retentions dept, so I would end up paying 30-50% less than you. I hate contract, but smart people know how to use them to their advantage.

And if you own an iPhone 3G or 3GS and are at the end of you contract, then you can now pay $50 (too much) and have it factory unlocked. This will substantially boost the resale value.

Quote:

Even more importantly, what sort of morons are still signing contracts with Rogers? (leaving aside service shortcomings, Rogers don't exactly have a great customer relations record where contracts are involved)

Rogers has far superior plans for retention of long term customers than Bell or Telus. For new customers, they are all the same. They all expect you to bend over and bring your own lube. But, once you have been with them a few months, none of the big carriers can touch the retentions plans from Rogers/Fido. Not even close. Unless you go with one of the new carriers, in which case you won't be using your iPhone (they are AWS) but you will get fantastic plans there. Anyone that stays with Bell or Telus is a sucker that is asking to hand over money.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Even more importantly, what sort of morons are still signing contracts with Rogers?
    (leaving aside service shortcomings, Rogers don't exactly have a great customer relations record where contracts are involved)

Same reason why most of the world gets their cell phones, i.e., the subsidy. In addition, the services are cheaper on a contract.

And as for your last comment, I totally disagree. I bought my first cell Phone virtually the first day the arrived in Canada. Every year I call to see if there is a promotion I can take advantage of. True, in some cases I needed to extend my contract, however, by doing so and grandfathering like I have, for example, I still have free voice evening/weekends starting at 6 PM, and now, my iPhone Basic Data Plan of 6GB @ <$30/month forever. And, a lot cheaper than what it costs in the U.S.A.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Canada has pretty stringent laws regarding the sale and broadcasting (I think iBookstore counts as both) of non-Canadian works. It's supposed to be an act to preserve our culture in the face of large amounts of Americanism our neighbour is spitting out, but in reality, it's frustrating for the average consumer. It's why many book releases get delayed in Canada. It's why Canadian TV and movies suck (those made by Canadian companies, even though a large amount of TV shows and movies now are filmed in Canada). Amazon.ca is atrocious. Know those multi-million-dollar Superbowl commercials? Yeah, Canadians don't see those - broadcasters are required, by law, to replace all advertising on American feeds with Canadian ads. It's why Canadian carriers can gouge us in prices - local startups don't have the capital to compete and it's incredibly difficult for an international company to come in and compete.

I don't know if the broadcasters are required to replace the US ads, but they are certainly allowed to. The net effect is that even if we are watching a US channel, the ads are replaced. I am not sure if they are replaced by the Canadian cable/satellite company or by the Canadian network that is also broadcasting the same event.