Apple issues Apple TV update to resolve resolution, download issues

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released Apple TV software update 4.1.1 for the second-generation Apple TV, fixing some issues with TVs displaying the incorrect resolution and a downloading problem where movies or TV shows are re-downloaded.

Apple TV software update 4.1.1 comes just weeks after software update 4.1, which added AirPlay support and fixed some performance and connectivity issues.

According to Apple's support documents, the 4.1.1 update addresses "an issue that causes some high-definition TVs to incorrectly display at 480p" and "an issue that may cause a movie or TV show to be re-downloaded."

One AppleInsider reader found that installing the update resolved a flickering issue on his TV. "My TV (Fujitsu) 42" (2004 model) only has a DVI port (no HDMI)," the reader wrote. "I use a HDMI to DVI cable to watch the Apple TV content. Previously, the TV flickered on the top and on the right. After the update, the flickering was gone. The system works perfectly fine now."

Other users, however, have found that the update doesn't resolve their issues. Earlier this month, AppleInsider reported that users were experiencing HDMI "handshaking" issues and abnormally long download times.

On the Apple support forum thread detailing the HDMI connection issue, several users assert that installing the 4.1.1 software update failed to resolve their HDMI handshake issues, which cause inverted colors or solid color images.

The newly redesigned $99 Apple TV has moved from one of Apple's "hobbies" to a more prominent role among Apple's products. In October, Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced that the set top box had sold 250,000 units since its September launch. Jobs noted that the company was "thrilled" with the figures.

Last week, Time magazine named the new Apple TV the No. 7 gadget of 2010.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I'm going to DL this and see if it fixes the juddering issue, suspected to be the buffer, when renting movies from iTunes. Fingers crossed!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    imoiimoi Posts: 15member
    What about streaming music from iTunes and being on the internet at the same time, without the former dropping or the later disconnecting?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoi View Post

What about streaming music from iTunes and being on the internet at the same time, without the former dropping or the later disconnecting?

Same problem here but I don't think there's anything to do about it. Remember the overload SJ had when he demoed the iPad -I think its the same thing on a smaller scale. Overload.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Updated my Apple TV in the afternoon, so far no problems.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    After the update, I'm still having inordinately long wait times downloading HD movie rentals on my new Apple tv. My old ATV would take about 10min before letting me watch the HD movie, now it takes 2 hours. SD movies still start in a minute or two but HD takes forever. My new ATV is connected by ethernet as was my old ATV. I think it's also a little sneaky on Apple's part that you have to go into the settings and turn off HD just so you can rent SD movies. The old ATV let you make that choice when you were renting/buying. I didn't even realize this was the case until I snooped around.

I was in the middle of a 3 hour download of Inception in HD when I heard of this new update today. I stopped the download and reset my settings with the new update. Instead of 3 hours it only took 2 hours. What's the point of "on demand" HD when you have to wait 2 hours? I didn't mind waiting 10 min like my old ATV, but two hours?! I think it has something to do with Apple's servers.

No problems with streaming Netflix.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    I was hoping that they were going to fix the syncing issue that has been happening between both ATVs and iTunes. I heard that ATV will mount if you erase everything but I am afraid if it doesn't work and ATV says erased. I need the pictures on it to show as a slide show for where I work and if I couldn't load everything back on that would be a really big problem.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    If if the HDMI handshaking issues still aren't resolved, i am REALLY DISAPPOINTED!!
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I am just the opposite. my HD Movie or tV rentals start in no more than 10-15 seconds. on the other hand netflix is soooooooo slow, and their video and sound quality SUXXXXX. Gonna get rid of netflix soon, too lame, and selection is old and busted
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I haven't rented anything in iTunes yet, but Netflix has been rock solid, and I've watched a lot of content. When I first got Apple TV it was locking up every couple of minutes and I was ready to take it back, but after a few days it seemed like it optimized itself for my wifi connection, and now I can watch for hours without a single lock up.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickertb View Post

If if the HDMI handshaking issues still aren't resolved, i am REALLY DISAPPOINTED!!

Try buying new high quality cables / switch box etc, you may have a fault there somewhere. My system is flawless and the HDMI hand over on my HDMI switch is instant to the ATV whereas other devices take a few seconds.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

I am just the opposite. my HD Movie or tV rentals start in no more than 10-15 seconds. on the other hand netflix is soooooooo slow, and their video and sound quality SUXXXXX. Gonna get rid of netflix soon, too lame, and selection is old and busted

On FiOS 30/30 here and ATV movies start before I can blink.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    This update stopped the on-screen wiggling I was getting but resolution is still set to 480p. This is very obnoxious. I was hoping this would get fixed but it looks like I'll be switching back to the old TV again for now.

On the original it was possible to set the resolution yourself, not anymore. I've reset and restored but neither of those options yielded any results.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrepici View Post

I think it's also a little sneaky on Apple's part that you have to go into the settings and turn off HD just so you can rent SD movies.

Hmmm that explains why i couldn't see SD titles. Thanks for the heads up Tis a bit sneaky i agree.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

Yes i posted on a similar article that my new ATV ran faultlessly, then last week i was watching "How To Train Your Dragon" with the kids and three quarters of the way though the film just froze. I tried to refresh and it said the film will resume in 52 minutes. I just rebooted it and it was fine after that.

Still, this is the Apple trend of getting software out there so we can whinge and they fix it.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Hmmm....

Well, the only issue I have ever had is streaming my Media HD over my network. It was starting to slow down or even stop with ATV2. After the update, I'm happy to report that streaming is now much faster.