Several Apple retail stores fall victim to smash-and-grab burglaries

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Although it may not be cost effective, it would be great to have an undercover security guy well hidden after hours that can taser these SOBs when they do these smash-n-grabs. They could bag at least 1 or 2 of the punks.

On another, more cost effective note, why not use shatter/bullet proof glass?

Tasers? How about flame throwers?
  • Reply 42 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

unbreakable/bulletproof type glass is impossible to come by. Ask your local bank

Bank? I'd ask NASA what they use on the Space Shuttles. I claim victory over your straw man
  • Reply 43 of 47
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    They should have GPS units on the display equipment. As soon as the alarm goes off GPS coordinates are sent to the police, which can quickly track the people and return the merchandise.

Honestly though, it might be more cost effective to just have insurance.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

They should have GPS units on the display equipment. As soon as the alarm goes off GPS coordinates are sent to the police, which can quickly track the people and return the merchandise.

Honestly though, it might be more cost effective to just have insurance.

Off topic, but I hope Macs will come with GPS chips inside and support for "Find My Mac?.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Off topic, but I hope Macs will come with GPS chips inside and support for "Find My Mac?.

Yeah, I'm always loosing mine in the stupid couch!

In all seriousness, I'd vote for that feature. I love iAlertU, now that it supports reporting the laptop's location it'd be cool if it could actually do it by GPS!
  • Reply 46 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I heard a rumor that the Windows stores have had a few breaks ins too, people leave PCs there and then escape.

Hmm... "smash 'n' leave"?
  • Reply 47 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Although it may not be cost effective, it would be great to have an undercover security guy well hidden after hours that can taser these SOBs when they do these smash-n-grabs. They could bag at least 1 or 2 of the punks.

On another, more cost effective note, why not use shatter/bullet proof glass?

Guy? You really want one guy to have to stand against five or six suspects, some of who may be armed?

This is a situation in which the *real* police would definitely call for heavy backup, and even then, taking down 5-6 suspects at the same time is not an easy task.

The cost to implement what you describe safely and capably would be astronomical when multiplied by the number of stores.