DirectTV survey suggests NFL Sunday Ticket could come to Apple TV

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deuxlavabo View Post

You still don't understand. Player A has an exclusive agreement with the NFL. Player B would like to get a piece of the pie. The more desperate Player A is to keep their exclusive agreement (very, as you illustrated), the more they will be willing to pay for it, and the more Player B will have to pay to break the exclusivity.

I'm not arguing a fine point about exclusive/non-exclusive contracts here. I'm telling you you have it 100% backwards, and your article is thus nonsensical.

One last effort to make it simple for you to understand: The more DirecTV needs the NFL the more expensive the NFL becomes for other bidders, Apple included.

Goodness.

So - the NFL would rather get 4 billion from DirecTV - instead of getting 3 billion from DirecTV and 2 billion from Apple? Sure - that makes sense.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

So - the NFL would rather get 4 billion from DirecTV - instead of getting 3 billion from DirecTV and 2 billion from Apple? Sure - that makes sense.

So I guess it's not nuts. You are just thick. I didn't say the NFL wouldn't be better off. They could certainly be better off. That's immaterial. You suggested that the fact that DirecTV paid so much means Apple has leverage. THAT IS WRONG. Period. Apple would have to pay more than they would if there weren't an existing super-high-priced contract.

Is anyone else having a hard time understanding this?
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:

So I guess it's not nuts. You are just thick. I didn't say the NFL wouldn't be better off. They could certainly be better off. That's immaterial. You suggested that the fact that DirecTV paid so much means Apple has leverage. THAT IS WRONG. Period. Apple would have to pay more than they would if there weren't an existing super-high-priced contract.

Is anyone else having a hard time understanding this?

I'd be a lot more interested in discussing what I meant with you if you hadn't started off by calling me stupid. And then thick. Is that your everyday m.o. ?
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I'd be a lot more interested in discussing what I meant with you if you hadn't started off by calling me stupid. And then thick. Is that your everyday m.o. ?

You're right. I retract my personal insults. I was out of line. Your article is stupid. I'm sure you are a perfectly intelligent person who was in a rush to get an article up, and didn't think while typing. Don't repost that drivel here, though.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'm not quite understanding the "Apple TV" part. If it's limited to DirectTV subscribers, which means I have a DirectTV box which handles my DirectTV services, where does the Apple TV come in?

Does the NFL Sunday Ticket appear now as a channel in the Apple TV menu? In addition to being in the program guide of my Direct TV set top box? How is this particularly useful?
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm not quite understanding the "Apple TV" part. If it's limited to DirectTV subscribers, which means I have a DirectTV box which handles my DirectTV services, where does the Apple TV come in?

Does the NFL Sunday Ticket appear now as a channel in the Apple TV menu? In addition to being in the program guide of my Direct TV set top box? How is this particularly useful?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I second that question--I don't see how Direct TV would allow to be standalone. A significant percentage of their subscribers must be there just for football...

That being said, I would sign up in a heartbeat! I would pay twice that...

Quote:

The big question to me is whether or not this will be available as a standalone service, or if you will need to be a DirecTV customer... As of right now, I don't think you can use "NFL Sunday Ticket To Go" without already having DirecTV & a regular NFL Sunday Ticket subscription. If it's not standalone, I don't understand what the point is (one would already be able to watch on their TV). If it were to be a standalone service, that would be a HUGE boon to Apple TV sales. I already have one... but if I didn't, I'd be very tempted to get it even if it were only for NFL Sunday Ticket.

Can anyone confirm/deny if there is any way to get NFL Sunday Ticket without being a DirectTV customer?

You can purchase NFL Sunday Ticket To Go as a standalone product without a directv subscription. This was effective for the 2010 season. The caveat is that you must be unable to get DirectTv at your location. They may also let you purchase it as a standalone if you are in a long term contract with another service provider.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Edit: Retracted -- rekles answers the question above.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post

I cut cable when I got Apple TV. I lasted 3 months. I'm back with full cable. NFL package would help, but i find that I miss the cable news channels too much.

A lot of the major news channels have podcasts. Did you check those out?
  • Reply 29 of 37
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rekles View Post

You can purchase NFL Sunday Ticket To Go as a standalone product without a directv subscription. This was effective for the 2010 season. The caveat is that you must be unable to get DirectTv at your location. They may also let you purchase it as a standalone if you are in a long term contract with another service provider.

Aha. Thanks. So NFL Sunday Ticket gets sold to device makers/subscribers much like Netflix.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    If I could download complete games without commercials I would see value it that. As it is I record most of the Steelers games on a DVD and watch them later in the day or the next day and flip through those ads. If Apple offered me the ability to do that without the whole "programing a recorder and maybe it don't work" deal that would be a real value added service. If I could start watching that content on my television, continue on my iPhone and finish on my MacBook Pro, then I'm getting the whole idea of the digital living room.

That whole matter rests on the NFL and Apple loosening their entire clutches on the way they look at rights management. MLB is horrible at running their entire league but they have quietlt but themselves in virtually internet space.

Another option is that Apple could just buy the NFL.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drewfreemanrph View Post

If I could download complete games without commercials I would see value it that. As it is I record most of the Steelers games on a DVD and watch them later in the day or the next day and flip through those ads. If Apple offered me the ability to do that without the whole "programing a recorder and maybe it don't work" deal that would be a real value added service. If I could start watching that content on my television, continue on my iPhone and finish on my MacBook Pro, then I'm getting the whole idea of the digital living room.

That whole matter rests on the NFL and Apple loosening their entire clutches on the way they look at rights management. MLB is horrible at running their entire league but they have quietlt but themselves in virtually internet space.

You can actually purchase "Game Rewind" from the nfl at a fraction of the price compared to Directv Sunday Ticket. You have access to the whole year of games of all teams. The caveat being that no games even past games are available while there is an NFL game playing on tv. The service is pretty good as long as you have decent internet connection. The biggest draw back is that I can't watch on an iOS device, it's flash.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:

I actually find some enjoyment out of watching sports live. Call me old fashioned, but if it's already happened, it's hard for me to care anymore...

Quote:

Haha I like that idea.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Personally I'm waiting on NHL Game Center and maybe a CFL app (4 downs, shorter fields, fair catches, and 40 second play clocks just don't appeal to me).
  • Reply 34 of 37
    I think what we're beginning to see is the embryonic stage of "al a carte" TV.

If you can get NFL, MLB, other Major Sports, Cable News Networks, and Netflix plus add Apple's TV & Movie rentals, me and many others like me would dump Cable TV in a flash. Internet service can be 4G LTE or straight cable modem. It'll still be cheaper, or least we would have bargaining chips for the dumb pipe.

We would be able to design our own package!! But the single content channel has to be priced competitively.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    i use this link for sports and more... http://atdhe.net/#

canceled comcast 3 months ago, so far so good.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

No. Think SIMPLE!

If you are in another room without a DirecTV receiver, but do have a TV, AppleTV and a internet connected computer you are supposed to be able to stream the Sunday Ticket Digital feed from the laptop to the AppleTV to the TV.

This survey has ZERO to do with Apple other than as part of the dumb display chain.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rekles View Post

That would make sense too. I am a subscriber with Sunday Ticket so this particular aspect completely escaped me. But I have been forced to watch several games via STToGo and it works well, I just haven't tried the streaming to a TV part.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Me personally will support anything that keeps me from paying a cable bill every month to those bloodsuckers! I have ATV, netflix, video podcasts, NFL & hopefully F1 soon

Best