Facebook's Zuckerberg beats Apple's Steve Jobs as Time Person of the Year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I could care less about either of them. Who reads this rag anyway?

Time announces new version of magazine for adults ;-)

http://www.theonion.com/video/time-a...d-at-ad,17950/
  • Reply 22 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

Meh...

My thought exactly. Click bait. Only reason I did click (did not read) was to put in my stupid response/comment... shoot, they won, this time. Well, I did not look at any ads, so a small victory for me.
  • Reply 23 of 81
    What did Zuckerberg do in 2010 that's significant for him to be named "Person of the Year"?

Have movie made about himself? Facebook didnt connect 500M users in 2010. It took them seven years to that. He donated $100M to a NJ school district, then he should be named "NJ School District Person of the Year". Starving people in Africa and the rest of the world sure didn't benefit from that $100M donation. He's going to donate his fortune when he's gone and done? Or so he says. Well he's still alive and hasn't done that yet.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    People sure do find creative ways of getting their knickers in a bunch about this sort of thing. Zuckerberg has around a half billion customers, which probably makes him important outside of New Jersey. And yes, having a popular movie made about you and your company does have a way of upping your cultural stock.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

Doesn't say much for Time Magazine does it?

These lists are as valuable as marketshare metrics

One of the few things I vehemently agree with John C. Dvorak on is his view of such lists. If you haven't heard him discuss how these things are created you might want to go back to one of the older episodes of TWIT where he talks about them.

The Nobel prize isn't far behind - a least you get money and a cool trip to Sweeden though...
  • Reply 26 of 81
    PROTIP: Time person of the year has always been a load of nonsense.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    Zuck Fuckerberg.

Where is the Steve Jobs movie?

"Take This, Jobs, and Shove It"
  • Reply 28 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

The Nobel prize isn't far behind - a least you get money and a cool trip to Sweeden though...

Unless you're in China, in which case you get a cool trip to jail.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    moewmoew Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Zuck Fuckerberg.

Where is the Steve Jobs movie?

"Take This, Jobs, and Shove It"

There won't be a movie. It would involve things that can't be shown on TV. I'm sure you don't know the details of the Jobs' complete history, but are quick to just "say things" on an apple biased website.

Zuckerberg has done more than Jobs this year by 100000 fold. Probably more. Jobs just likes to rip off ides and present them as his own. History is repeating itself, and Jobs will be on his way out soon.

How many lawsuits are against Apple right now for this very thing, all over again? Too many for me to keep track of. I'll let the credible media sources report it like it should be reported, not a fanboi blogging site like appleinsider.
  • Reply 30 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Ummm, wow that is a horrible cover photo...

Seriously, was Time trying to make Zuckerberg look like an alien?
  • Reply 31 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

People sure do find creative ways of getting their knickers in a bunch about this sort of thing. Zuckerberg has around a half billion customers, which probably makes him important outside of New Jersey. And yes, having a popular movie made about you and your company does have a way of upping your cultural stock.

Yup, don't be haters just cause you didn't think of facebook first.

It is a bit silly for people to rag on Time for not making Steve POY every year, gotta give someone else a chance ya'll. Everybody's gotta agree though, bad picture...bad bad bad.
  • Reply 32 of 81
    The guy had one idea that caught on big. Beyond that, has he done anything particularly noteworthy? I'm not being snarky, I really don't know. Richard Holbrook, on the other hand actually made the world a better place for a whole country...
  • Reply 33 of 81
    it's time magazine, hitler made the cover as person of the year once

enough said
  • Reply 34 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

it's time magazine, hitler made the cover as person of the year once

enough said

This comments suggests that you don't know why Time puts people on the magazine cover. Hint: It's not because they are nice.
  • Reply 35 of 81
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

There won't be a movie. It would involve things that can't be shown on TV. I'm sure you don't know the details of the Jobs' complete history, but are quick to just "say things" on an apple biased website.

Zuckerberg has done more than Jobs this year by 100000 fold. Probably more. Jobs just likes to rip off ides and present them as his own. History is repeating itself, and Jobs will be on his way out soon.

How many lawsuits are against Apple right now for this very thing, all over again? Too many for me to keep track of. I'll let the credible media sources report it like it should be reported, not a fanboi blogging site like appleinsider.

Oh please, grow up and get yourself an education.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    Steve for sticking with ATT & Zuckerberg having millions of Dumb Drones building Content for him for nothing
  • Reply 37 of 81
    Zuck on Time is no different than the iPhone4 antenna-gate in Consumer Reports. Both magazines are dying as their readers edge into retirement. Both Time and Consumer Reports need to prove they are still relevant and try (desperately) to appeal to a younger audience.

It's all about selling magazines and changing the reader/subscriber demographic.

Besides, I don't think Jobs needs a magazine to justify his success. The stock in my pocket is justifying that just fine! :0)
  • Reply 38 of 81
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

LOL!! You should write for The Onion.
  • Reply 39 of 81
    Why would Jobs be considered anyway? Because his company released a couple of products? Ooooooh.

At least Assange actually did something important.
  • Reply 40 of 81
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    The "award" to simply intended to recognize the most newsworthy person of the year. They often pick a person who represents a concept. In this case Zuck is the placeholder for Facebook, as Jobs would be a placeholder for Apple. Apple was in the news a lot, but I suspect Facebook was more. I'm a bit surprised they didn't pick Palen or another representative of the tea party movement, but that probably would have upset their readers too much.