iTunes 10.1.1 update causing crashes instead of fixing them

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Some users are reporting that updating to iTunes 10.1.1, which is supposed to resolve issues that could cause it to crash, causes iTunes to crash, leaving them unable to open the application.

Apple released a minor update to its iTunes software on Wednesday, ostensibly resolving issues that could cause iTunes to unexpectedly quit.

However, several AppleInsider readers have reported that, after installing the update, iTunes immediately crashes upon opening, rendering the program unusable.

Users have also reported the issue on the Apple Support discussion forums. In one thread, users detail their problems with iTunes crashing upon opening and failing to load after upgrading to iTunes 10.1.1.

Some users report receiving the following Problem Report: "iTunes cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure iTunes works with this version of Mac OS X. You may need to install any available updates for the application and Mac OS X."

Several posters were able to resolve the crashing issue by downloading iTunes directly from Apple's website instead of through Software Update, and then overwriting the previously updated software.

Another issue users are reporting is being unable to download and install the iTunes update through Software Update. According to forum user Gioker, Software Update displays an error message stating, "The update iTunes can't be saved - a networking error has occurred. Cannot open file (-3001) Make sure you can connect to the internet and try again," despite being connected to the internet. Apple's standalone iTunes installer appears to run without any problems.

Apple's previous update, iTunes 10.1, was released in November, adding support for iOS 4.2 and AirPlay functionality with the Apple TV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I guess it's time to take a wait-and-see approach before I update my i7 iMac. That's quite unusual for Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    It's working fine on my 8-y.o. PPC!
  • Reply 3 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

It's working fine on my 8-y.o. PPC!

It works just great on my 2007 Mac Mini.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    Worked great on my MBP and Mac Pro.

Both about one model back.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    No problems at work on my '08 iMac. Downloaded the update from Apple's website, not from Software Updater, btw.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    No problems for me on three different Macs. Used software update to download and install on two MacBook Pros and one MacMini with all three working just fine. Really AppleInsider your report should read some users have reported but which users are you referring to? Maybe you've been duped into reporting something bogus.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Working fine on my 2009 13" MacBook (the one I bought just before the MacBook Pro was released at a much lower price).

My Apple TV updated too, is was showing @ 640x480, which cut off half the view on my Hitachi 55" Plasma with DVI input, now it's at 1024 x 768 and I can see all the menus.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I guess it's time to take a wait-and-see approach before I update my i7 iMac. That's quite unusual for Apple.

Worked fine on my i5 iMac (early 2010).
  • Reply 9 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    No problem here. Sorry to hear people are having issues with an x.x.1 bug update.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I did update my new 13" MBA before I came across the article. Works fine. Nonetheless, I still wait to see what develops, if anything before I update my i7 iMac since that is my main iTunes machine.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

No problems at work on my '08 iMac. Downloaded the update from Apple's website, not from Software Updater, btw.

No problems the MacBook specified in my signature running OS X 10.6.5. Downloaded the update from Apple's website, not from Software Updater, btw.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Just now installed on my 17" MBP (2010). Seems to be working fine. (Installed via Software Update)
  • Reply 13 of 64
    I think we need to know what kind of Mac these crashes were happening on... need more detail about the specifics surrounding their update problems.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    It crashed on my late 2009 MBP. I just trashed iTunes and then reinstalled a fresh copy and it works fine. It even fixed that annoying message of allowing incoming connection that popped up ever since version 10 came out. Reinstalling took all of two minutes. Minor annoyance at best.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    Screwed up on my mid-2009 13" MbP. Even trying to restore from a time machine backup failed b/c I got an error stating that the system can't recognize a folder with the same name, even though I told it to trash the new version and replace w/ the backup. I did get the time machine backup to work when keeping both copies, but it was still wrong because there was no icon, and the only files in the resources folder were dutch language. Don't know how they did it.. but Apple really pulled a M$ on this one.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clayton Bigsby View Post

It crashed on my late 2009 MBP. I just trashed iTunes and then reinstalled a fresh copy and it works fine. It even fixed that annoying message of allowing incoming connection that popped up ever since version 10 came out. Reinstalling took all of two minutes. Minor annoyance at best.

I think the install package is docked up on auto-update.

It didn't completely install on one of my macs unless I used the full copy.

I also noticed a 20 mb size difference between the Software Update version and the download, which is a first for iTunes as far as I can recall.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Sounds like maybe the software update download was incomplete or corrupted. Hence why most of us are not having problems with iTunes and why re-downloading fixes the problem.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Seems like inaccurate and irresponsible AI reporting.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    It crashes on my (4 week old) MacBook Pro i7. Applied through Software Update. Downloading and installing manually fixed the problem. "Apple stuff just works." Pfft.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Seems like inaccurate and irresponsible AI reporting.

Irresponsible, yes. Inaccurate, probably not, as the facts are facts. Updating to iTunes 10.1.1 is leading to crashes for some people, but what's missing is that the crashing may not be a result of iTunes, but rather the update process. Apple's update servers may be getting slammed and crippling under the load.