iTunes 10.1.1 update causing crashes instead of fixing them

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    Let's just put the following down in text up front, to save future posters the trouble and dramatics:

APPLE, ARE WE SUPPOSED TO BETA TEST YOUR SOFTWARE?

I GUESS APPLE'S TOO BUSY PUTTING REFLECTIONS IN THE DOCK TO DO QUALITY CONTROL

APPLE, ARE YOU LISTENING?

Any others?
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Yep, after updating, I got the "iTunes cannot be opened because of a problem" error...like others have mentioned, I trashed iTunes and then reinstalled and everything is working now. Running iTunes on my two week old MacBook Pro 15" I5...

sNF
  • Reply 23 of 64
    iTunes is the absolutely WORST piece of software released by Apple. They need to rebuild the thing from the ground up not just patch and bloat it. I want wireless syncing....not Genius. I want folder monitoring....not Ping. I want something that is quick and lite and more visually appealing like FrontRow.

Just my opinion.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abideworldwide View Post

Really AppleInsider your report should read some users have reported but which users are you referring to? Maybe you've been duped into reporting something bogus.

well it isn't bogus. It is not working for some folks.

But you are correct that it is not universal and details could help avoid another mediagate issue

Are the issues only with PPC systems. Only with pre snow cat. Only with folks that were already having crash troubles, only with using software updat. Only a particular combo

In my case we are talking a g4 with one gig of ram, using 10.5.8. It was already crashing and I used software update. Opened it and before the library was even loaded it crashed. Basically exactly what it was doing before.

So I deleted iTunes and downloaded it from the website. Just to really cover my tracks, I eve deleted my library file and my preferences. Might not matter but what the hey, why not

we will see what happens
  • Reply 25 of 64
    No issues with the 5 macs in the house. All done via Software Updater.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    ditto

pulled in install package and re ran it and voila
  • Reply 27 of 64
    Running iTunes 9.0.2 Just paid $150 for a new iPod nano. Does NOT work on iTunes 9.0.2. Says to update to newer version. iTunes sees that a new version is there, and switches to software update, which does NOT see any new software updates. Downloaded newer iTunes version from apple and says it does NOT work on my older mac OX 10.4.11 software. ?????? So I have to pay to upgrade to use my new iPod??????? Never had anything to complain about apple until now.......... now that I have a $150 mini-brick of an iPod.....
  • Reply 28 of 64
    I received the very error in the article.

Went to apple.com and downloaded iTunes 10.1.1, anew.

Initially, I thought it was just me.

All fine now
  • Reply 29 of 64
    4 installs so far, no issues.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    I had the same issue after updating via Software Update. I went to Apple's website, downloaded it and it installed fine. I have never had an issue like that with Apple software. Odd.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Refuse to install until Steve Jobs addresses this mess up via email.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    I also had this problem. I was thinking it was because I only downloaded part of it (was on a time limit), but know I'm thinking otherwise. I fixed it by downloading it from Apple's website instead. BTW, when it crashed, I checked to see how much space it was and it was only 56 MB.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Same here.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdan7 View Post

Running iTunes 9.0.2 Just paid $150 for a new iPod nano. Does NOT work on iTunes 9.0.2. Says to update to newer version. iTunes sees that a new version is there, and switches to software update, which does NOT see any new software updates. Downloaded newer iTunes version from apple and says it does NOT work on my older mac OX 10.4.11 software. ?????? So I have to pay to upgrade to use my new iPod??????? Never had anything to complain about apple until now.......... now that I have a $150 mini-brick of an iPod.....

Mac computer with USB 2.0 port, Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later, and iTunes 10 or later is listed as Apple's requirements for the new Nano. You will have to buy Snow Leopard (which thankfully is only $30), and install it. Your Mac must be an Intel Mac to get it to work. Intel Macs are from 2007 or newer.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matthewmspace View Post

Mac computer with USB 2.0 port, Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later, and iTunes 10 or later is listed as Apple's requirements for the new Nano. You will have to buy Snow Leopard (which thankfully is only $30), and install it. Your Mac must be an Intel Mac to get it to work. Intel Macs are from 2007 or newer.

Nah, my old Intel MacBook was from 2006 and ran Snow Leopard quite well.

Try again.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    It crashes right away after software update.

However downloaded the 10.1.1 from Apple side and now back in the business with no crashes.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

It's working fine on my 8-y.o. PPC!

Runs smoothly on my PowerBook, as well.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    No problem here, updated a PPC G5 machine running Leopard, from software update. Haven't yet updated my Mac Mini running Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Using an '08 MBPro on 10.6.5 I used the Updater after which the program would NOT open. I then downloaded the full program from the iTunes website and all seems to be fine at the moment.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    All,

I've reinstalled from the apple latest release, and iTunes hangs shortly after starting - ten seconds, perhaps. I get no error message, just the lovely spinning wheel... This started after the update to 10.1.1, and continues even after two downloads of the full version.