Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    TIME has become People Magazine
  • Reply 42 of 81
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Ummm, wow that is a horrible cover photo...

No doubt. Kept thinking of cat's eyes like MJ in thriller. Creepy.

btw, what's the point in having a vote, if you decide to over-ride it for the result? TIME is a dinosaur that just doesn't know it's extinct yet.
  • Reply 43 of 81
    It's a sad commentary when "person of the year" award results from creating a social network for gossip, trivia, and silly banter.
  • Reply 44 of 81
    My friend found his long lost brother from the vietnam war times on facebook, they were sepereated and he came to Australia.

Steve Jobs is connecting people over wifi, facetime doesn't work on 3g.
  • Reply 45 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Time announces new version of magazine for adults ;-)

http://www.theonion.com/video/time-a...d-at-ad,17950/

As usual, The Onion is dead on.
  • Reply 46 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

There won't be a movie. It would involve things that can't be shown on TV. I'm sure you don't know the details of the Jobs' complete history, but are quick to just "say things" on an apple biased website.

Zuckerberg has done more than Jobs this year by 100000 fold. Probably more. Jobs just likes to rip off ides and present them as his own. History is repeating itself, and Jobs will be on his way out soon.

How many lawsuits are against Apple right now for this very thing, all over again? Too many for me to keep track of. I'll let the credible media sources report it like it should be reported, not a fanboi blogging site like appleinsider.

"Zuckerberg has done more than Jobs this year...". Wow, that's really off the "Mark".
  • Reply 47 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

The guy had one idea that caught on big. Beyond that, has he done anything particularly noteworthy? I'm not being snarky, I really don't know. Richard Holbrook, on the other hand actually made the world a better place for a whole country...

Well, Zuckerberg should be given credit where actually due. You don't get to his position by sheer luck.
  • Reply 48 of 81
    Steve Jobs is taken for granted by some as they have come to expect nothing less than New Gadgets, Great Technology and the Best of all worlds

However Mark Zuckerberg deserves credit for his achievement as it is note worthy.

those of us that own Apple products realize that Steve Jobs is a man whose dedication is creating technology of the future.
  • Reply 49 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KangaMoJo View Post

Zucks show is about nothing, made with nothing, that charges nothing, makes nothing (tangible). makes nothing (monetarily.) At least Seinfeld made oodles of REAL money. Facebook can't show a profit on anything other than their own self-valuation made by it's own investors.

They do sell ads, lots of them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Zuck Fuckerberg.

Where is the Steve Jobs movie?

"Take This, Jobs, and Shove It"

I heard that Jobs already "has" a movie: Pirates of Silicon Valley. It's said to not be completely accurate, but the filmmakers took lot more liberties with The Social Network too.
  • Reply 50 of 81
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    Jobs has created billions of dollars of profit for Apple.

Zuckerberg has caused people to waste millions of hours on Facebook.
  • Reply 51 of 81
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

As long as ASSange didn't make the cover, I'm happy.

"Dear President Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder:

We, as Australians, condemn calls for violence, including assassination, against Australian citizen and WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, or for him to be labeled a terrorist, enemy combatant or be treated outside the ordinary course of justice in any way.

As Thomas Jefferson said, "information is the currency of democracy." Publishing leaked information in collaboration with major news outlets, as Wikileaks and Mr. Assange have done, is not a terrorist act.

Australia and the United States are the strongest of allies. Our soldiers serve side by side and we’ve experienced, and condemned, the consequences of terrorism together. To label Wikileaks a terrorist organisation is an insult to those Australians and Americans who have lost their lives to acts of terrorism and to terrorist forces.

If Wikileaks or their staff have broken international or national laws, let that case be heard in a just and fair court of law. At the moment, no such charges have been brought.

We are writing as Australians to say what our Government should have: all Australian citizens deserve to be free from persecution, threats of violence and detention without charge, especially from our friend and ally, the United States.

We call upon you to stand up for our shared democratic principles of the presumption of innocence and freedom of information."

Source
  • Reply 52 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

The "award" to simply intended to recognize the most newsworthy person of the year. They often pick a person who represents a concept. In this case Zuck is the placeholder for Facebook, as Jobs would be a placeholder for Apple. Apple was in the news a lot, but I suspect Facebook was more. I'm a bit surprised they didn't pick Palen or another representative of the tea party movement, but that probably would have upset their readers too much.

You're right that it's meant to spotlight a newsworthy person. But you really mean to say that naming Sarah Palin would have upset readers more than Adolph Hitler? IDTS
  • Reply 53 of 81
    Well Steve Jobs tried to imitate Zuckerberg by creating a lame ass Ping and look where it got him.

No surprise here.
  • Reply 54 of 81
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    So Person of the Year to the guy who has reduced productivity by several orders of magnitude, increased security and privacy issues for millions (hundreds of millions), and can't answer questions without sweating.

Nice job Time.
  • Reply 55 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axual View Post

So Person of the Year to the guy who has reduced productivity by several orders of magnitude, .....

No- the maker of the iPad did not win.
  • Reply 56 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Ummm, wow that is a horrible cover photo...

He's an average looking guy. Did you expect James Bond?
  • Reply 57 of 81
    Not bad for a guy who runs a glorified chatroom
  • Reply 58 of 81
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

So a guy who stumbled into the creation of a social networking site beat out one of the most successful executives in the world? \

Doesn't say much for Time Magazine does it?

hmmm stumbled really? If he 'stumbled' into it then you suggest it is no achievement. He is the youngest billionaire in history and has built the most visited website in history and all with a tiny team in comparison.

Bit more than stumbling...

Sure Jobs is great but Zuckerberg had more vision.
  • Reply 59 of 81
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

The guy had one idea that caught on big. Beyond that, has he done anything particularly noteworthy?

One idea catching on big is rare in itself. Have you got an idea that will attract half a billion customers in as much time and be a part of an evolution in networking? I think for the US alone there's nothing wrong with him qualifying for person of the year, but there are other people more deserving than Steve Jobs or Zuckers.

p.s. He looks like a reptilian in that photo.

• Reply 60 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

There won't be a movie. It would involve things that can't be shown on TV. I'm sure you don't know the details of the Jobs' complete history, but are quick to just "say things" on an apple biased website.

Wow, you sound really cool. Don't tell me - you "know stuff" that you can't possibly tell us. Ooooh, mysterious.

Quote:

Zuckerberg has done more than Jobs this year by 100000 fold. Probably more. Jobs just likes to rip off ides and present them as his own. History is repeating itself, and Jobs will be on his way out soon.

Zuckerberg got lucky, like most other internet entrepreneurs. Creating a website to allow people pimp their egos 24/7 doesn't take an awful lot of skill, and it's still not clear that Zuckerberg actually did it on his own anyway. It's certainly not an original idea - hey, that's kind of like the ideas you accuse Jobs of stealing, isn't it?

Quote:

How many lawsuits are against Apple right now for this very thing, all over again? Too many for me to keep track of. I'll let the credible media sources report it like it should be reported, not a fanboi blogging site like appleinsider.

This fanboi blogging site seems important enough for you to come in and explain The Truth to all of us clueless readers.