Apple adds AirPrint, illustrations, collections with iBooks update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Don't care since I can't use AirPrint without compatible printer! How about you get busy adding AirPrint support into Snow Leopard like you promised instead of wasting time updating apps with a feature I can't even use yet! FAIL!

See this ->http://discussions.apple.com/thread....762&tstart=120

My Canon IP6000 works great from my iPad.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

a huge gap between the free public domain titles (75 - 2000 years old) and "current" titles.

Blame that on the publishers, they either don't want ebook versions, have exclusive deals with others or in a couple of cases have to sort out who has the rights to ebooks and if it more than one party how to ensure the proper sales go to the proper people.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Yippee...

Step 1. Email ALL the PDF forms that I might ever need to hand to a client to my iPhone -- since I never have the correct paper-based form with me standing in the middle of nowhere.

Step 2. Email said specific company form to client while sitting in his kitchen, he prints, signs and hands back to me right then and there. You can feel the awe in the air.

Step 3. Use Printopia when at my office or home when I need a paper copy for a visiting client to sign right then. Printopia handles the printing from the iPhone to my network Brother laser printer. Do it while siting in front of the client... and again... You can feel the awe in the air.

Step 4. Kiss SJ on the cheek. (Well, maybe not.)

Step 5. Get invited into the big boss's office to be asked if I'd be interested in sales management. (Yes that's really what happened today, and the answer is: "Well, maybe." I kinda like what I'm doing now.)

Less BS too.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Would never buy an eBook that only can play on 3 Apple devices and not compatible with Macs?

Amazon is the only way to go here.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Isn't this what Launchpad in Lion will be? The iOS applications on the Mac?

Nope.

Launchpad is just a home screen like interface for the compute, to access the same Mac OS apps. Alternative to stacks or the finder window

Nothing has been announced that will act as an emulator etc

As for this iBooks update, while I like the idea of collections I wish it was a bit differently handled. I would much rather a system similar to the folders in iOS where you would start off with a single icon for each collection and when tapped it would expand. Or put them on shelves. Many of the collections I would make are only a handful of books. And why can I have one item listed in several collections. My niece for example has a lot of books on her iPad because she is part of a test program at her high school. One title might fit in books, for school, fiction, historical, young adult, the series group etc. It is basically just keywords and filtering and knowing what covers to toss on the screen for her to tap
  • Reply 26 of 28
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Haven't had a chance to download and update yet, but I sure hope it fixes one major bug with previous iBooks releases. Every stinking time I updated to a new version, it would re-order my bookshelf. Dammit, Apple, I got my books in the order I want them. Don't make me have to reorganize them again.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Haven't had a chance to download and update yet, but I sure hope it fixes one major bug with previous iBooks releases. Every stinking time I updated to a new version, it would re-order my bookshelf. Dammit, Apple, I got my books in the order I want them. Don't make me have to reorganize them again.

Sorry to say, but... be prepared for a disappointment on that one
  • Reply 28 of 28
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

No idea about the situation elsewhere, but here it is definitely not the app that holds back iBooks' success. It is the best ebook app available.

The content of the store is not even poor so far, really no back catalogue ? a huge gap between the free public domain titles (75 - 2000 years old) and "current" titles. Most great modern literature written between 1930 and the 1990s is completely absent. The few titles that do exist, have obviously been digitized using OCR software, received no editing whatsoever and contain tons of errors. No reason to waste money on that yet...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Blame that on the publishers, they either don't want ebook versions, have exclusive deals with others or in a couple of cases have to sort out who has the rights to ebooks and if it more than one party how to ensure the proper sales go to the proper people.

Or they don't own the ebook rights. As I understand it the publishers didn't put ebook rights into their standard contracts until the '90s. So for most of the books in question the rights are still owned by the authors. Most authors don't know this and have yet to take advantage of it.