Apple to open Mac App Store Jan. 6 in 90 countries

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple announced on Thursday that the Mac App Store for Mac OS X Snow Leopard will debut with both free and paid applications for download on Jan. 6, 2011.

In a press release, Apple said the Mac App Store will make discovering, installing and updating Mac apps easier than ever. The software download destination will be available in 90 countries at launch, and will feature paid and free apps in categories like Education, Games, Graphics & Design, Lifestyle, Productivity and Utilities.

"The App Store revolutionized mobile apps," Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said. "We hope to do the same for PC apps with the Mac App Store by making finding and buying PC apps easy and fun. We can’t wait to get started on January 6."

The Mac App Store will allow users to browse new and noteworthy apps, find out what's hot, view staff favorites, search categories and read customer ratings and reviews. Like on iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, users can purchase, download and install apps in just one click and start using them immediately.

Purchased apps can run on all personal Macs and updates are delivered directly through the Mac App Store, making it easy to keep apps up to date. The Mac App Store will be available to Mac OS X Snow Leopard users as a free download through Software Update.

Mac developers set the price for their apps, keep 70 percent of the sales revenue, are not charged for free apps and do not have to pay hosting, marketing or credit card fees. To find out more about developing for the Mac App Store visit developer.apple.com/programs/mac.

In November, AppleInsider exclusively reported that the Mac App Store would debut in January 2011, and the launch of the service would also see the release of Apple's new iWork '11 productivity suite.

Apple announced the Mac App Store in October, at a media event where it also unveiled the new MacBook Air models. While it is launching with Snow Leopard, the new Mac App Store will also be an integral part of the forthcoming Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, set to launch in the summer of 2011.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Can I go on record saying this will be huge and game changing (no pun intended)? Thanks

Like so many things Apple does, this isn't a new concept as such it's just going to be done right for the first time (think MP3 players, pads and phones).
  • Reply 2 of 50
    Thank you Apple
  • Reply 3 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Mac App Store will allow users to browse new and noteworthy apps, find out what's hot, view staff favorites, search categories and read customer ratings and reviews. Like on iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, users can purchase, download and install apps in just one click and start using them immediately.

I sure hope that they use this opportunity to finally disallow side-loading unauthorized pieces of code on Macs. If they were to do that, I bet AppleCare would be cheaper for all of us. That way, the User Experience would be correct, and the support requests would fall off dramatically.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The day CES starts? So does this mean Apple will attend CES this year or will be a way to draw attention away from the other booths, even though SW and services never outshine new HW.

I expect another year dominated by tablets. I hope someone takes the time to compare the YoY tablet changes between companies that occurred because of the iPad. Should be worth a laugh or two, especially if they contain videos from last year from company spokespersons about how great their concept is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLoveMYiPhoneAndWantToGetaMAC View Post

I sure hope that they use this opportunity to finally disallow side-loading unauthorized pieces of code on Macs. If they were to do that, I bet AppleCare would be cheaper for all of us. That way, the User Experience would be correct, and the support requests would fall off dramatically.

I doubt it since MAS will only be a new option to obtaining apps, not a replacement to the standard desktop OS method of installing apps. For AppleCare to drop I?d think the number of Mac users would have to increase dramatically and/or less moving parts in a Macs that could possibly break. How many people bring/send in their Macs because their slot-loading ODD doesn?t work right?
  • Reply 5 of 50
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Does it still meet the within 90 days limit?
  • Reply 6 of 50
    Yup! Can't wait to see what they come up with. It's going to be exiting.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Does it still meet the within 90 days limit?

Would it matter if it didn't? You're getting it. MUCH earlier than most Apple products with time limits.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    I wonder when 10.6.6 arrives.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I wonder when 10.6.6 arrives.

I say before MAS arrives, is most likely. But will it have MAS installed or will this be a separate DL from apple.com or through Software Update?
  • Reply 10 of 50
    Quote:

Looks like SerialTroll is trying something a little different with his aliases.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Because MAs arrives seems very likely. But will it have MAS installed or will this be a separate DL from apple.com or through Software Update?

And will it update itself though the MAS?

Probably not, but an interesting question whether apps like iTunes will continue to be updated through Software Update, or if they will be made available through MAS.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said. "We hope to do the same for PC apps with the Mac App Store by making finding and buying PC apps easy and fun...."

Was that misspoken, misquoted, or prophetic?
  • Reply 13 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Probably not, but an interesting question whether apps like iTunes will continue to be updated through Software Update, or if they will be made available through MAS.

I thought the MAS demo showed that updates happen through that app. Or maybe it was thought LaunchPad. Or maybe I?m imagining it.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Since it would appear that MAS is Snow Leopard .... I think iTunes will still be a software update item. There are still some on Tiger and other OS versions. Perhaps "down the road" that will all change.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    What does the iOS app store has over the Android app store?

Type of users: Users on iOS buy more apps than users on Android.

Same will go for the Mac app store. This attracts developpers and will improved choice on the MacOS which will make MacOS even more popular. Lets hope volume brings a drop in software prices.

Expect everyone, there mother and there pets to copy this feature pretty quickly.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jz1492 View Post

Was that misspoken, misquoted, or prophetic?

PC = Personal Computer ..... an iMac is a Mac Personal Computer.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

What does the iOS app store has over the Android app store?

Type of users: Users on iOS buy more apps than users on Android.

Same will go for the Mac app store. This attracts developpers and will improved choice on the MacOS which will make MacOS even more popular. Lets hope volume brings a drop in software prices.

Expect everyone, there mother and there pets to copy this feature pretty quickly.

I hope Apple makes it easy for iOS devs to write apps so they work on the Mac platform. Love to move from my iPhone to Mac to play Angry Birds, or simply buy a single ?Multiverse? app that?s optimized for my iPhone, iPad and Mac.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

This style of post seems consistent with many other ones posted by a multi-alias member... with multiple bans.

The annoying name is a bit of a clue too.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

PC = Personal Computer ..... an iMac is a Mac Personal Computer.

Yep, but consider this:

Is there a company more invested than Apple in pointing out the difference between Macs and PCs? --"I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC". Branding, not meaning.

Have you heard any Apple spokesperson, let alone master communicator Steve Jobs, ever refer to a Mac as a PC?

Yet, Steve's choice of words for the announcement of the most significant expansion of their most important invention of at least the last few years, the AppStore, is to mention PCs twice as often as Macs.

My guess is that they are preparing to push the Mac into the mainstream, just like they did with mac.com when they renamed it MobileMe.

So, yes, you're right, from now on Mac = PC

(That, or Apple just used their gazillions to pay cash for the entire PC industry )
  • Reply 20 of 50
    I think it'll be fascinating to see how this unfolds with regards to Mac vs Windows gaming and products from established Mac software giants such as Adobe.

Will the sheer accessibility and ease of development that is associated with the iOS App Store transfer over to the Mac? I assume so as the tools will be nearly identical. Will that make it so easy to develop for the Mac and get a product out there (with automatic, free updating) that we see all but the largest game developers choosing to make an easy buck on the Mac rather than hosting and marketing in a Windows environment with no help from Microsoft (anyone else wondering why on earth MS did think of an app store years ago?). All shipping Macs have a capable GPU nowadays, gaming could be the real growth area that the app store fertilises, at least in sub-ultra-graphical games.

As for Adobe, will they want to cede 30% of their revenue? What does their site's hosting cost them? Can't be anything like 30%! Will they be able to rip off the European market so shamefully on the Mac app store? If they choose to shun the app store, will other rival apps gain traction and eat into their market share? It's all going to be fascinating to watch!

I for one am extremely excited about this, it could be seismic.