RIM posts impressive earnings, co-CEO says PlayBook "way ahead" of iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

Then there's an indefensible claim to be 'ahead' with the Playbook. How on earth can you be ahead of a multi-million-selling product released in countless countries with a product that hasn't sold a single unit...anywhere...it's manifestly nonsensical.

Excellently worded. My exact thoughts when I first read this article.

How can ANYONE ever say they are ahead of the competition when they don't even offer a similar product. Fact is RIM does NOT offer anything remotely similar to the iPad. Oh sure, They've shown prototypes of something, but so did Balmerboy a year ago. Still vaporware to the best of my knowledge. Let see what he has to say when their product has been on the market for awhile. Oh wait, we don't know when that is, or the price, or the final spec, or or or.... (but we know one thing, it's ahead of the rest of the world).

He's just a marketing windbag.
  • Reply 22 of 151
    All I hear from the competition is noise, lots and lots of noise. Stop talking and get your crap to market. Right now, the iPad is real. Just about everything else is vaporware.
  • Reply 23 of 151
    If by "way ahead of iPad" he means vaporware, an OS that is still in alpha and sold 0 units with launch date still months away in best case scenario.... yeah... waaaaay ahead.

Almost sounds like CEO of Fusion Garage...he better hope RIM sells more units than JooJoo
  • Reply 24 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

<Co-CEO says PlayBook "way ahead" of iPad".>

Jim Balsillie has just ensured his immortality along with Michael Dell and his 'give the Apple share holders their money back' statement.

Also, he has an invisible magic tablet that can talk to Elvis. Apple may as well just QUIT right now. Quit, Apple, quit! Please quit.
  • Reply 25 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Way ahead of iPad by not even being released to even developers yet? Way ahead that we've only seen videos of it "working". Way ahead that even the web browser isn't finished? By the time they finally get this for sale, iPad 2 will be out and catapulted way beyond this.

Why do these companies keep comparing themselves to a device that came out nearly a year ago?

I tried one yesterday(a single core prototype). While it's neat, I don't see myself getting one for personal use. In an enterprise environment that doesn't allow anything but Blackberries, I can see it selling, but that's about it.

Of course this is my opinion from a prototype device and not the final product which we may get to try a closer to final product in a couple of months.
  • Reply 26 of 151
    <Co-CEO says PlayBook "way ahead" of iPad".>

Your Ma-ma!
  • Reply 27 of 151
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    "Way ahead?" That is unlikely given that Apple are not incompetent, and they have a good head start. I hope for the sake of his company that he is "just saying that" and has not really deluded himself.
  • Reply 28 of 151
    Too bad these posts could not appear in Jim Balsillie's morning newspaper. I can imagine him choking these down with his Corny Flaky food for thought that he was peddling.
  • Reply 29 of 151
    i only observed how many times he used "i think". check it out.

nobody care what he thinks though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

I find this rant astonishing. Reading the full transcript he says 'who knows?' 4 times! If I was a RIM shareholder I'd damned-well want to think the CEO knew, or was at least confident he knew. This just sounded like an incoherent, verbal shrug of the shoulders. If that's the top of the leadership, I worry for RIM's strategic thinking.

Then there's an indefensible claim to be 'ahead' with the Playbook. How on earth can you be ahead of a multi-million-selling product released in countless countries with a product that hasn't sold a single unit...anywhere...it's manifestly nonsensical.

All that aside, the Playbook can only be compared to the first generation iPad, but that's utterly irrelevant as it is the second generation iPad that the Playbook will be up against, and nobody knows the specs of iPad 2 yet. Is this not business 101 stuff?

This is definitely a little Balmer-esque...and that's certainly not a good thing if you're a RIM person.

• Reply 30 of 151
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fila97 View Post

i only observed how many times he used "i think". check it out.

nobody care what he thinks though.

I think that if one uses such qualifiers in ones comments that what would be a statement of fact is now an opinion, which saves ones lawyers a lot of work.
  • Reply 31 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NealofThelake View Post

Only... it has absolutely nothing on the iPad when it comes to software. A nice interface does not an awesome device make.

That's the point he is making. The "web" is the software. Not saying I agree with him, but he did tackle your point. The demo of web surfing was quite a bit faster than the iPad, but we'll see when it ships.
  • Reply 32 of 151
    The Playbook "maybe" ahead of the current iPad.. But then again RIM should be comparing the Playbook with iPad 2 which nobody knows for sure what it has in store. The Playbook will be competing with the iPad 2. We'll see I guess..
  • Reply 33 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

No no, it's just that when alone, he doesn't have his twin "co-ceo" there to help speak in coherent sentences. The idiotic and chaotic statements that either of them make when not in the presence of the other just shows how two of them cannot equal Ballmer when he gets up in front of analysts, and they certainly don't equal Jobs in giving awesome presentations.

They should melt these two dolts down and render the remains into soap.

Co-CEO indeed. Imaging if your wife wanted a "co-husband" around... You just can't share a job like that.

It's so they can use the term "Dual-Core" CEO since RIM seems to be obsessed with dual core processors.
  • Reply 34 of 151
    I still laugh when I see that "You don't need an app for the web."

Uh what do you think a web browser is.

As for the whole 'way ahead' stuff. I think one should hold off on statements like that until you have sales numbers to back it up. Particularly when it is a good 90 days until anyone could buy your product and by then it is possible that the competition could have their 2.0 on the market.
  • Reply 35 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Wow! Just wow!

I was going to paste a co-quote... But wow kinda' covers it!
  • Reply 36 of 151
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I was going to paste a co-quote... But wow kinda' covers it!

Jonamac succinctly stated everything I was too dumbfounded to express.
  • Reply 37 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

No no, it's just that when alone, he doesn't have his twin "co-ceo" there to help speak in coherent sentences. The idiotic and chaotic statements that either of them make when not in the presence of the other just shows how two of them cannot equal Ballmer when he gets up in front of analysts, and they certainly don't equal Jobs in giving awesome presentations.

They should melt these two dolts down and render the remains into soap.

Co-CEO indeed. Imaging if your wife wanted a "co-husband" around... You just can't share a job like that.

+++QFT. Go Tod... You nailed it!
  • Reply 38 of 151
    It amazes me how these folks in the tech world sit and watch as Apple does its thing, then they try to play catch up by marginalizing them with talk of superfluous features. OMFG!

The ipad was never meant to replace a pc. It is as we know a content consuming device. But RIM for instance needs a "WIN" so they troll out the usual, cocky, bull**** lip service.

RIM in no way shape or form was able to out do Apple's ipad in a few months. Who the hell do they think they are fooling? Every thing on the ipad and iphone is damn near perfect.

For instance, as you scroll through the artist listing on the iphone's ipod the alphabetical bar doesn't move until you are out of the G's or T's. If Usher is the last song under U, then U bar doesn't move until you scroll out of U, then the U bar moves with the last title. It is that man many more little things that set Apple's swag apart from the rest of the crowd.
  • Reply 39 of 151
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    This is just hilarious!!

Someone remind this guy that he sold zero tablets!
  • Reply 40 of 151
    My blood is percolating! My first investment of 2011.... SHORT RIM!!!!!