RIM posts impressive earnings, co-CEO says PlayBook "way ahead" of iPad

Comments

• Reply 81 of 151
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blazain View Post

I have been avidly following appleinsider for several years now on a daily basis and the absurdity of this guy has forced me to write my first post.

For a company such as RIM who's supposed core competency is smartphones to have not brought to market a compelling response to the iPhone, which is now in the middle of its its fourth generation (and now Android) just highlights innovative inaptitude. The very notion that this guy even thinks they can bring out a tablet which does not in anyway form part of RIM's core competency, to rival and exceed the iPad even in it's 1st gen form is borderline insane.

We have heard all this before with the Storm and the Storm 2...this is just posturing nothing more nothing less. It's amazing a company the size of RIM needs two CEO's - all it says to me is each of them is only capable of doing a half ass job.......

PS How many of those 14.2 shipments were actual sales out and registrations v sales into the channel, and how many of those were part of two for one deals, and how many models does RIM sell.

Good first P.
  • Reply 82 of 151
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackTheRat View Post

There was a report in a local rag in the UK around the mid 90s that one of Amstrads' PCW machines, in full working order, was left outside the journos' home in an urban area, in full unobstructed view and it was still there 48 hours later.................the article was on PC/Mac theft from the workplace.

I am in no way inferring PlayBook inferiority here!

That reminds me of the wag that reported after all the Apple Store break ins that several Microsoft Stores had also suffered break ins ... people were leaving their PCs there and escaping.
  • Reply 83 of 151
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Release the damn thing, and let folks decided if it is any good.

Best post in this thread. That's the bottom line.
  • Reply 84 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well ahead in what sense? You can't make stuff like that up, because they are random guesses. The caching issue with the iPad is a RAM issue - i.e. not enough. iPad will solve that. iPad 1 users gonna have to suffer. Good job my brother is buying my iPad 1 from me for a good price and I'm upgrading.

The upgrade comment hits the nail on the head as to why iPad sales will be astronomical for years to come. They will follow the same model as iPod and iPhone. Any Apple enthusiast here check how many iPods and iPhones you have/had over the years! Apple enthusiasm is growing fast too.
  • Reply 85 of 151
    We're already way ahead by almost -12 months.... when we finally release it in four months. What math?
  • Reply 86 of 151
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

They need to get it out the door now, not wait another 6 months after February.

Palm Pre = Good idea, failed because of timing and trying to beat Apple to the punch instead of actually making a complete product before shipping.

iPad = Good idea, succeeded because they didn?t try to cram a desktop OS or smartphone UI onto a tablet jut to have something on the market right away. They waited a decade and now have the only tablet on the market worth measuring all other tablets by.

In this ?get it out the door now? model is one of the worst shortsighted business decisions companies can make, but many make them because they are only look a quarter ahead with little to no regard for long term success.
  • Reply 87 of 151
    Of course PlayBook will have its work cut out competing with iPad, but the one feature that caught my eye when it was launched was its ability to pair with a BB handset and share its 3G connection.

Could prove very attractive. Until Apple follows suit.
  • Reply 88 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Palm Pre = Good idea, failed because of timing and trying to beat Apple to the punch instead of actually making a complete product before shipping.

iPad = Good idea, succeeded because they didn?t try to cram a desktop OS or smartphone UI onto a tablet jut to have something on the market right away. They waited a decade and now have the only tablet on the market worth measuring all other tablets by.

In this ?get it out the door now? model is one of the worst shortsighted business decisions companies can make, but many make them because they are only look a quarter ahead with little to no regard for long term success.

100% agree and the 'get it out now' model is a direct result of copying rather than innovating. Apple had all the time in the World to get iOS, iPad and iPhone right because they were the only ones going in that direction and that is the true benefit of innovation.
  • Reply 89 of 151
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    RIM posts impressive earnings, co-CEO says "This is good stuff I'm smoking."

That's better.
  • Reply 90 of 151
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    I recognize Balsillie's symptoms from having dealt in a previous life with increasingly desperate executives, who stand on the podium to hurl a verbal Hail Mary in the hopes of saving a fourth-and-long situation in the last minutes of a losing game. Late-Stage Bloviation is nearly always terminal. It usually takes a bit longer - three to five months usually - before an impatient board of directors pronounces last rites on the executive afflicted by the syndrome.
  • Reply 91 of 151
    Blackberry models are often included in a BOGO promotion. In fact, Verizon is currently offering discounts, rebates and BOGO on all but one model, the Storm2. You can buy a Blackberry for as low as $49, and get another one free. I'm told that the handset maker still receives the full $ amount for the phone and the carrier subsidizes the free phone. It takes a little under a year for them to recoup the costs of the free phone.

Now, my guess is that Verizon is doing a lot of BOGO promos during the holiday season so they can have reduced inventory before the Verizon iPhone comes out. Once it does, the sales for Blackberrys and many Android models will likely have substantially fewer sales. Verizon is also trying to entice those buyers that may be waiting for an iPhone by offering very low prices on their current inventory. I've been told that Verizon has been stuck with a large inventory of Microsoft Kin phones. They may be re-released without the kin-loop features at a very low price and without the high data fees that helped kill the phone to begin with. It makes sense that Verizon does not want to be left with a large inventory of BB and Android phones when the iPhone is release and are doing everything they can to move them out of inventory. Although the sales numbers look good for BB now, it may be just be a temporary spike due to "dumping" rather than consumer demand.

The amazing thing is that there has never been a BOGO promo for the iPhone (at least in the US) and that is very good news for the carrier.
  • Reply 92 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blazain View Post

I have been avidly following appleinsider for several years now on a daily basis and the absurdity of this guy has forced me to write my first post.

Balsillie responds: "I think people are tired of blazain telling them what to do."
  • Reply 93 of 151
    Quote:

Well ahead in what sense? You can't make stuff like that up, because they are random guesses. The caching issue with the iPad is a RAM issue - i.e. not enough. iPad will solve that. iPad 1 users gonna have to suffer. Good job my brother is buying my iPad 1 from me for a good price and I'm upgrading.

so you're selling your iPad to "upgrade" to a product that doesn't exist yet and won't run the apps you've downloaded (and won't have any to download) or sync with your iTunes library of music and videos? Me, I'll do the real upgrade and upgrade to the iPad 2 when it comes out.
  • Reply 94 of 151
    This blog post title should have been....

"RIM beats Apple in smartphone sales last quarter"

That is real news and points to the fact that the smartphone market is really up in the air. As far as the RIM tablet who cares since you cant even buy one today.
  • Reply 95 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

so you're selling your iPad to "upgrade" to a product that doesn't exist yet and won't run the apps you've downloaded (and won't have any to download) or sync with your iTunes library of music and videos? Me, I'll do the real upgrade and upgrade to the iPad 2 when it comes out.

I assumed he meant upgrade to iPad 2!
  • Reply 96 of 151
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

That is real news and points to the fact that the smartphone market is really up in the air. As far as the RIM tablet who cares since you cant even buy one today.

Actually I would say that the big news is that RIM was off on new subscribers. After years of rapid growth, subscriber rates have plateaued. For an interesting analysis of why that's an ominous sign, see here.
  • Reply 97 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

that wouldn't be accurate because they don't have the same quarters and the market continues to grow.
  • Reply 98 of 151
    Pressure makes people say the funniest things.
  • Reply 99 of 151
    Reminds me of the title of a movie from the 80s: Say Anything.
  • Reply 100 of 151
    Beat them in sales or profits?