News Corp's 'Daily' for Apple iPad expected to arrive Jan. 17

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
News Corporation's tablet-only publication for Apple's iPad, known as the Daily, is set to launch in one month, on Jan. 17

Peter Kafka of MediaMemo reported on Friday that he has been told by multiple sources that the Daily will formally launch next month. The blog is part of the All Things Digital website, which is owned by News Corp.

Rupert Murdoch and his company have allegedly been working closely with Apple to create the new publication, which was originally scheduled to launch in December. Kafka noted that the launch plans have shifted multiple times in the last few months, but added that the Jan. 17 launch date appears to be a "much safer bet."

The Daily is rumored to cost 99 cents per week, and will be updated daily. It will also rely on many multimedia features, including" some kind of 3-D effect that lots of people are very excited about."

The publication is expected to debut alongside an application subscription plan for recurring transactions that Apple is expected to introduce with an update to its iOS mobile operating system. Kafka said Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs "may or may not participate in a launch event" for the iPad newspaper and recurring App Store subscriptions.

The subscription plan will reportedly have a "push" feature that automatically bills customers on a weekly or monthly basis, and applications like the Daily are automatically updated and waiting for a user to unlock their iPad every morning.

"That offering won't resolve Apple's dispute with conventional publishers, who want to be able to control their subscriptions -- or at least get access to subscriber data - for iTunes app versions of their print products," Kafka said. But for new, digital-only products like the Daily, that data isn't as crucial, and the ability to set up a recurring subscription would be a big step forward."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Meh..
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Double meh.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Good news on the publishing front for iPad but let's not devolve into a political right-left hate-fest like MacRumors already did Move on to next article please AI .
  • Reply 4 of 40
    It is of no interest to me....
  • Reply 5 of 40
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I imagine if this was from a liberal outlet (as most are), this would be getting kudos.

Instead it's a bunch of "meh" from Faux News ( as it's obsessively called) by the left.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    I'm so looking forward to finally being able to find "Truth" on my iPad. Rupert cares about me and will only present the facts that I want to hear. I'll sleep better now.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    I haven't heard anything that says this will be a right (or left) leaning publication. A good friend of mine has been hired as a (non-political) columnist, and she is the opposite of conservative/republican/right wing.

Rupert Murdoch goes where the money is. FOX "News" makes him money. But don't forget, the FOX Network isn't right-leaning at all. The Simpsons, Family Guy, Glee, House... all are at least a little left of center if not a lot.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tonkin View Post

I'm so looking forward to finally being able to find "Truth" on my iPad. Rupert cares about me and will only present the facts that I want to hear. I'll sleep better now.

• Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dak splunder View Post

The Simpsons,

I believe The Simpsons was at Fox before Murdoch. Can't say about the others...
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Rupert Murdoch's News Corp founded the Fox Broadcasting Company in 1986. The Simpsons premiered in 1989.

In other words, there never was a "Fox before Murdoch."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

I believe The Simpsons was at Fox before Murdoch. Can't say about the others...

• Reply 10 of 40
    Cluster-Fox for the iPad...how quaint..

I'll pass on the neo-nutbag propaganda.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

I haven't heard anything that says this will be a right (or left) leaning publication. A good friend of mine has been hired as a (non-political) columnist, and she is the opposite of conservative/republican/right wing.

Rupert Murdoch goes where the money is. FOX "News" makes him money. But don't forget, the FOX Network isn't right-leaning at all. The Simpsons, Family Guy, Glee, House... all are at least a little left of center if not a lot.

I agree, with Rupert it is 'follow the money'. I really enjoy many shows on Fox. I just stick to the BBC, CNN and Spiegel on Line for my news.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This, in itself, is “meh” but this date is pretty close to when Apple has had events in the past and oddly specific for a SW release a month from now. Perhaps this is a sign that there will be an Apple event where the iPad 2 HW and the future of subscription publications are demoed.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:

Rupert Murdoch's News Corp founded the Fox Broadcasting Company in 1986. The Simpsons premiered in 1989.

In other words, there never was a "Fox before Murdoch."

That's not quite true. While The Simpsons hasn't been on a Fox network without Murdoch, there was most certainly a "Fox" before Murdoch. Murdoch bought 20th Century Fox in 1985, and that company had been involved in television production for decades before he bought it, though obviously they spent most of their effort of film production and distribution.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    The FOX network Launched on October 9, 1986. Rupert Murdoch owned it then. Everything that has ever appeared on the FOX television network (Fox Broadcasting Company) has been under the auspices of Rupert Murdoch.

Of course there was a 20th Century Fox before that, but this thread of the discussion has been about how the FOX television network is not right leaning (and is actually more left-leaning) while the Fox "News" channel is a hard-core right-wing media voice. Which means that there is no evidence yet that The Daily will be biased toward any political leanings.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

That's not quite true. While The Simpsons hasn't been on a Fox network without Murdoch, there was most certainly a "Fox" before Murdoch. Murdoch bought 20th Century Fox in 1985, and that company had been involved in television production for decades before he bought it, though obviously they spent most of their effort of film production and distribution.

• Reply 15 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The current newspaper apps on iPad seem like website ports, I will be really interested to see what they come up with if worked closely with Apple. It seems like there *should* be a better way to present the news, but no one has worked it out yet.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I imagine if this was from a liberal outlet (as most are), this would be getting kudos.

Instead it's a bunch of "meh" from Faux News ( as it's obsessively called) by the left.

I give it another "meh," not because it is not from a liberal outlet, but simply because Faux News really is faux. They are known for misinforming people. http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pi..._Dec10_rpt.pdf
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Seriously, people, read the thread!

I despise the propaganda and lies of Fox "news" more than most, but The Daily shows no signs of being related to Fox News.

Rupert Murdoch has no personal politics beyond making craploads of money. Fox News rakes in the dough by drawing in millions of ignorant, lazy, and insecure viewers, and Murdoch is thrilled to earn his money this way. The Daily is the first subscription iPad newsmagazine, and Murdoch is thrilled to potentially earn money that way too, the way he loves earning advertising dollars from very liberal-leaning shows like the Simpsons and Family Guy on the Fox broadcasting network.

"The Daily" is not Fox News. And we can draw our conclusions when we see it, but it's ignorant to assume that it is. Yes, Rupert Murdoch is a detestable sack of shit, but all he really does is provide the funding for stuff to happen. What that "stuff" is is different every time. Let's see how this turns out.

In other words, use your critical thinking skills.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eehd View Post

I give it another "meh," not because it is not from a liberal outlet, but simply because Faux News really is faux. They are known for misinforming people. http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pi..._Dec10_rpt.pdf

• Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

It is Faux News, whether you are on the left or right. Fake news is fake news no matter what spin they "news" source puts on it.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:

Seriously, people, read the thread!

I despise the propaganda and lies of Fox "news" more than most, but The Daily shows no signs of being related to Fox News.

Rupert Murdoch has no personal politics beyond making craploads of money. Fox News rakes in the dough by drawing in millions of ignorant, lazy, and insecure viewers, and Murdoch is thrilled to earn his money this way. The Daily is the first subscription iPad newsmagazine, and Murdoch is thrilled to potentially earn money that way too, the way he loves earning advertising dollars from very liberal-leaning shows like the Simpsons and Family Guy on the Fox broadcasting network.

"The Daily" is not Fox News. And we can draw our conclusions when we see it, but it's ignorant to assume that it is. Yes, Rupert Murdoch is a detestable sack of shit, but all he really does is provide the funding for stuff to happen. What that "stuff" is is different every time. Let's see how this turns out.

In other words, use your critical thinking skills.

Yeah, here are my critical thinking skills: he owned/owns The New York Post, The Star, The Sunday Times, The Daily Mirror, The Daily Telegraph, among others...all tabloids. He has great track record of misinforming people. Whether The Daily is different or not, I refuse to give my money to some one who makes his living off misinforming people. What's your slant on it? "Let's see how this turns out."
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Yes, that's correct. You're lucky enough to have clairvoyant powers, but I'm going to make a decision based on verifiable fact. There are numerous published articles talking about the apolitical tone that is expected for The Daily, and the reports of the writing/editorial staff that's being hired support that theory.

Yeah, it's fucking annoying that some of the subscription money for The Daily will (theoretically) go into Murdoch's pockets. But most of it will go towards paying the people that create it. (and 30% goes to Apple.) (Also, Murdoch won't see a penny until the thing is profitable.) It's the same bitter pill you swallow by supporting China's anti-human-rights activities every time you buy electronics (like the Mac you're typing on).

Here's lists of the people so far hired for The Daily ? writers who are known for *not* misinforming people:

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runnin...daily_kill.php

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runnin...corp_the_d.php

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thecut...-up-for-launch

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thecut...-launch-jan-17

I stand by my informed and thoughtful response: we'll see. If it's a rag like the NY Post or a propaganda machine like Fox "news", I'll avoid it like the plague and hope it fails. But if it's a great source of news and commentary from great current writers, awesome. Let's see how this turns out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eehd View Post

Yeah, here are my critical thinking skills: he owned/owns The New York Post, The Star, The Sunday Times, The Daily Mirror, The Daily Telegraph, among others...all tabloids. He has great track record of misinforming people. Whether The Daily is different or not, I refuse to give my money to some one who makes his living off misinforming people. What's your slant on it? "Let's see how this turns out."