Controversial Steve Jobs figurine appears to sell for $2,500 on eBay

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After a law firm representing Apple blocked the producer of a lifelike action figure of Apple CEO Steve Jobs from selling it, the figure has apparently sold for $2,500 on eBay.

MIC Gadget began selling the figurines, which feature the charismatic CEO in his trademark black mock turtleneck, blue jeans and New Balance trainers holding an iPhone, in November, quickly selling out of the initial run of 300 limited edition figures.

Within days, Apple learned of the figurine and sent a cease-and-desist email to the website, citing California Civil Code Section 3344, "which prohibits the use of any person?s name, photograph or likeness in a product without that person?s prior consent."

Some of the figures have now made their way to eBay, where several listings (1, 2) have already closed for $2,500.

The auctions are highly suspect, however, and may be an attempt by resellers to manipulate the figure's price on the secondary market. For instance, one auction, from a seller who hasn't received feedback since 2008, listed a starting price of $1,000, but eventually sold for the $2,500 Buy It Now price without any bids.

Source: eBay

The hoopla surrounding the Jobs action figurine stems from the iconic place that the CEO continues to occupy in culture. Earlier this week, he was named one of Time magazine's "People Who Mattered" in 2010, losing out to Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg for the title of "Person of the Year." Last week, MarketWatch granted Jobs the honor of "CEO of the Decade."

Though Jobs has fought to keep his personal life out of the spotlight, for the first time ever, he is collaborating with an author on an "authorized" biography.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Awesome, even the biography has to be rumered and authorized by the CEO. Way to stay true to yourself. Those figurines are kind of awesome looking btw.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    Hahaha I love how ou can put the glasses on top of his head haha classic Steve Jobs demoing something where he does that.... They really aren't half bad looking though...
  • Reply 3 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Earlier this week, he was named one of Time magazine's "People Who Mattered" in 2010, losing out to Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg for the title of "Person of the Year." Last week, MarketWatch granted Jobs the honor of "CEO of the Decade."

Stephen Colbert: ?Times Magazine Person of the Year is Mark Zuckerberg. Sorry Julian Assange, I guess you didn't violate enough people's privacy.?
  • Reply 4 of 62
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Awesome, even the biography has to be rumered and authorized by the CEO. Way to stay true to yourself. Those figurines are kind of awesome looking btw.

Wow I was going to say the same thing. I'm an older fellow and not really into the whole action figure / figurine collecting thing, but this little guy is pretty cool. Wish I'd bought one of them when issued.

Although I do still have one of the Alien figures from about 21 years ago.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I bet Steve bought one
  • Reply 6 of 62
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    I want one! Come on Apple, these are pretty awesome. No one should be making money off someone else, so I say, Steve, Apple please make these.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I bet Steve bought one

He?ll have it checked for DNA and fingerprints, then ruin the families of anyone associated with that figurine.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    Pathetic.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    Quote:

Though Jobs has fought to keep his personal life out of the spotlight, for the first time ever, he is collaborating with an author on an "authorized" biography.

Writing his Memoirs is typical for a departed leader, a leader who resigned or retired. For instance, George W. Bush has just published his Memoirs.

A friend of mine who invested in Apple assures me that Steve Jobs will be gone in 3 months or so... Writing his Memoirs is part of the sequence of events leading to the departure of Steve Jobs from Apple.

Apple is now in the best shape that it has ever been. What will Apple become without its founding CEO?

Thanks for a job done to the best of your abilities. You will be missed.

\\\
  • Reply 10 of 62
    Money to burn.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Writing his Memoirs is typical for a departed leader, a leader who resigned or retired. For instance, George W. Bush has just published his Memoirs.

A friend of mine who invested in Apple assures me that Steve Jobs will be gone in 3 months or so... Writing his Memoirs is part of the sequence of events leading to the departure of Steve Jobs from Apple.

Apple is now in the best shape that it has ever been. What will Apple become without its founding CEO?

\\\

Noted!
  • Reply 12 of 62
    Ahahaha! thats just proper weird.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

\\\

Taking a short position by any chance?
  • Reply 14 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Stephen Colbert: ?Times Magazine Person of the Year is Mark Zuckerberg. Sorry Julian Assange, I guess you didn't violate enough people's privacy.?

Quote:

He?ll have it checked for DNA and fingerprints, then ruin the families of anyone associated with that figurine.

First quote, awesome. Second quote, lame. You wake up on the wrong side of the bed today for that one, solipsism? I think the figurine is pretty awesome, but it was definitely violating the law. Would've liked to see an authorized version. The only way I could see them getting rights though is if it was one of a set: like "greatest CEOs of all time."
  • Reply 15 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

First quote, awesome. Second quote, lame. You wake up on the wrong side of the bed today for that one, solipsism? I think the figurine is pretty awesome, but it was definitely violating the law. Would've liked to see an authorized version. The only way I could see them getting rights though is if it was one of a set: like "greatest CEOs of all time."

I thought both were pretty funny. perhaps you don't have your sense of humor on yet
  • Reply 16 of 62
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Everything old is new again. A couple years back there was a Steve Jobs bobblehead doll combined with an iPhone dock.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    Quote:

Stephen Colbert: “Times Magazine Person of the Year is Mark Zuckerberg. Sorry Julian Assange, I guess you didn't violate enough people's privacy.”

Stephen Colbert keep believing the crap being sold to you, since Julian has shown how bloody stupid and simple minded politicians in their thoughts. He just shown how hypocritical the US/Western Governments is with China and double-standards in their own countries.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    The dark side of genius...

But, really, why doesn't he just obtain the rights and market it???

The all-new iSteve!

Amazingly thinner!

Everything he's learned comes down to this!

The high-resolution retina-display is truly brilliant!

The new lithium-ion battery lets you dominate longer, the flash drive holds more Earth-shattering concepts, and a whole new meaning for "unibody construction"!
  • Reply 19 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

you keep believing the crap being sold to you, since Julian has shown how bloody stupid and simple minded politicians in their thoughts. He just shown how hypocritical the US/Western Governments is with China and double-standards in their own countries.

Really guys? Really?!
  • Reply 20 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

The dark side of genius...

But, really, why doesn't he just obtain the rights and market it???

The all-new iSteve!

Amazingly thinner!

Everything he's learned comes down to this!

The high-resolution retina-display is truly brilliant!

The new lithium-ion battery lets you dominate longer, the flash drive holds more Earth-shattering concepts, and a whole new meaning for "unibody construction"!

All famous CEOs should have dolls made, but with internet access to the latest stock prices of their companies which then allow the head to shrink or swell along with their market valuations.