Do you need a Mac to use an iPad?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
We're getting my mother in law an iPad for xmas. She's not at all computer savvy (to say the least!) but thought she might like being able to surf the web, type simple emails etc with the iPad.

Since she doesn't have a Mac, is she going to run into problems? She's visiting us over the holidays so we can set up the iPad for her here. But when she returns home, someone will have to come over to her house and set up the Airport Express (which we got for her) with a Mac, right? After that will she be okay without a Mac while using her iPad?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    You can't sync anything or back up content, but other than that, it's self-sufficient by buying content from the various iTunes stores.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Can you set up an airport express with an iPad, or do you need a mac for that?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundhound View Post

Can you set up an airport express with an iPad, or do you need a mac for that?

You need Airport Utility, either the Mac or Windows version. You can set it up with your Mac or PC. Really all you need to do is give it a name and a password. Not sure if WPA is on by default, but you might have to turn it on too.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    The thing is, she doesn't have a Mac. So I'm wondering if an Airport can be set up with an iPad, or if you have to have a Mac to do it.

edit: Just reread your post. An Airport can be set up with a PC? that's good news!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You need Airport Utility, either the Mac or Windows version. You can set it up with your Mac or PC. Really all you need to do is give it a name and a password. Not sure if WPA is on by default, but you might have to turn it on too.

• Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

The thing is, she doesn't have a Mac. So I'm wondering if an Airport can be set up with an iPad, or if you have to have a Mac to do it.

edit: Just reread your post. An Airport can be set up with a PC? that's good news!

Does she have a Windiws PC?

The iPad could be set up and synced to a PC instead of a Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Yes, Mac or Windows -- but the more important point is, you can setup the Airport Express on your Mac or PC. Once you've assigned it a name and a password and turned on WPA, you can unplug the router and bring it to her house.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Ah, that's a great idea. So we could set up the Airport while she's here over the holidays, and she can take it back home with her? That would be best of all. thanks!

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, Mac or Windows -- but the more important point is, you can setup the Airport Express on your Mac or PC. Once you've assigned it a name and a password and turned on WPA, you can unplug the router and bring it to her house.

• Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Ah, that's a great idea. So we could set up the Airport while she's here over the holidays, and she can take it back home with her? That would be best of all. thanks!

And if she has the iPad when you do the setup, you can make the initial connection before she goes home and the iPad should remember the router after it's moved to her house.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    And when she is back home after the holidays, with her new iPad, she will call you for help everytime there is a problem, of course... You are then defacto her helpdesk/SysAdmin! And you will find that helping over the phone is often very difficult.

So it may be worth your while to investigate whether remote desktop management using e.g. free Teamviewer would work from your Mac on your mom's iPad. I know it wotks the other way around!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I'm very familiar with the syndrome you describe (from both sides!) But she has family in town, so she'll be hitting them up for help. But... I use Back To My Mac (I think that's what it's called) between my laptop and macbook. Is that what you're referring to? Or is Teamviewer something else?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

And when she is back home after the holidays, with her new iPad, she will call you for help everytime there is a problem, of course... You are then defacto her helpdesk/SysAdmin! And you will find that helping over the phone is often very difficult.

So it may be worth your while to investigate whether remote desktop management using e.g. free Teamviewer would work from your Mac on your mom's iPad. I know it wotks the other way around!

• Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

I'm very familiar with the syndrome you describe (from both sides!) But she has family in town, so she'll be hitting them up for help. But... I use Back To My Mac (I think that's what it's called) between my laptop and macbook. Is that what you're referring to? Or is Teamviewer something else?

I dunno what software you refer to. With Teamviewer you can effectively take over the other's desktop and operate it as if you were sitting in front of it. Which you ARE! You're looking at it!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Back to my mac is built into OSX.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

I dunno what software you refer to. With Teamviewer you can effectively take over the other's desktop and operate it as if you were sitting in front of it. Which you ARE! You're looking at it!