Google TV hardware delayed as the Apple TV competitor struggles - NYT

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Google has reportedly asked makers of upcoming Google TV-powered television sets to cancel plans to show off devices as the upcoming Consumer Electronics Show, as the search giant is working to refine its software.

According to The New York Times, HDTV manufacturers like Toshiba, LG Electronics and Sharp were prepared to show off new televisions running the Google TV software at CES 2011 in January. Launched in November, the platform competes with the newly launched $99 Apple TV.

"Google has asked the TV makers to delay their introductions, according to people familiar with the company's plans, so it can refine the software, which has received a lukewarm reception," the report said. "The late request caught some of the manufacturers off guard."

Google TV launched to relatively poor reviews, and has faced problems such as networks blocking their Web-based content from devices running the search giant's Android-based platform. The software was introduced on a handful of devices, including a 46-inch Sony TV set and a set-top box from Logitech.

The report from the Times also suggested that Google's last-minute changes to products and their release schedule may be upsetting to its partners. It noted that the Chrome OS platform for netbooks was supposed to launch this year, but was recently delayed to 2011.

"Google has a long history of putting out new products and then revising them on the fly," the report said. "But in the consumer electronics market, companies place big, well-timed bets -- to attract holiday buyers, say, or back-to-school shoppers."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    After a long hard day at work, I go home and turn on the TV and all I want it to do is be a TV. Play movies, tv shows, maybe play music too, and maybe a few little things. What I don't need it to be is a "computer". That's what I bought a desktop and laptop for.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    The usual Google "release a crappy product then fix it later" way..
  • Reply 3 of 63
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    I suspect that Apple would not have promoted the AppleTV from "hobby" status were it not for the Google competition, and I suspect that Apple now regrets the promotion.

As Apple knows and Google is learning, TV is a hard nut to crack due to the technical/legal obstacles raised both by the content owners and the cable companies. I think the public would be well served by some anti-trust scrutiny applied to these colluding incumbents that are stifling innovation and hurting consumers.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Nah, google TV is just in beta, but they forgot to tell everyone that.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I suspect that Apple would not have promoted the AppleTV from "hobby" status

I am pretty sure Apple has not promoted it from hobby status anymore. Jobs took great pains to explain how this space has still not been figured out, during the unveiling of the new Apple TV.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I?m sure I?ll get a lot of slack for this comment, but from a literal stand point, Apple owns the living room. Between the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad I bet there are more internet-capable, computing devices in the living room from Apple than any other CE company. They don?t own the HEC of the living room, and may never own that, but that is no longer the only place in the living room where people are being engaged by electronics.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

I am pretty sure Apple has not promoted it from hobby status anymore. Jobs took great pains to explain how this space has still not been figured out, during the unveiling of the new Apple TV.

I seem to recall that Jobs referred to as a hobby in the current sense during the AppleTV demo.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I’m sure I’ll get a lot of slack for this comment, but from a literal stand point, Apple owns the living room. Between the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad I bet there are more internet-capable, computing devices in the living room from Apple than any other CE company. They don’t own the HEC of the living room, and may never own that, but that is no longer the only place in the living room where people are being engaged by electronics.

That's very true for an "All-Apple products" household. No other tech company out there have a better integration of it's products than Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

That's very true for an "All-Apple product" household. No other tech company out there have a better integration of it's products than Apple.

What about a home with just a one or two Apple handheld devices? When I think of all the combinations of internet-capable devices that would be used in a living room setting on a regular basis Apple seems to be coming to the top of that list. Being on the internet on a portable device whilst in front of the TV seems to be getting more and more than norm, from my anecdotal experience.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Not only that but every products are quite ugly. Some are effective, yes like Gmail but all are ugly unless they have something great to copy.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    They don't have the experience in hardware design and GUI design that Apple does. They have the content, but a lot of it is just scraped from the Internet. Apple partners with professional content providers (e.g. studios). I think Apple is more likely to win this fight.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    Quote:

I seem to recall that Jobs referred to as a hobby in the current sense during the AppleTV demo.

Yes i recall him introducing it as "one more hobby" as opposed to his usual "one more thing"
  • Reply 12 of 63
    Quote:

The software was introduced on a handful of devices, including a 46-inch Sony TV set and a set-top box from Logitech.

I wonder if people bought this TV as a direct result of the integration of Google TV. If that was the case i'd be pretty p****d if i then found i could no longer use it.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    Quote:

I?m sure I?ll get a lot of slack for this comment, but from a literal stand point, Apple owns the living room. Between the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad I bet there are more internet-capable, computing devices in the living room from Apple than any other CE company.

Right on. AirPlay is a huge step in making those devices TV-compatible as well. As that is updated and refined, it will be an even more compelling feature. When I can use my iTouch/Phone/Pad apps/browser with the TV as the display, Google TV becomes completely non-competitive.

Multiplayer AirPlay gaming could be sweet, too. Now those millions of i-devices become gaming consoles.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    Quote:

After a long hard day at work, I go home and turn on the TV and all I want it to do is be a TV. Play movies, tv shows, maybe play music too, and maybe a few little things. What I don't need it to be is a "computer". That's what I bought a desktop and laptop for.

I agree. And this is where the Apple TV is different from Google TV. It just gives you access to content which is preferable on a large TV .i.e Movies. Photos and YouTube are nice to have but i prefer to view those on my iPad/iPhone. In my house it isn't always appreciated when i hijack the TV to show off my latest slideshow. And YouTube videos are too low def at the mo.

TV manufacturers should be bending over backwards trying to convince Apple to allow ATV into their hardware. I mean the cost would surely be minimal. Who'd object to paying £50 more for a TV that had an element of iTunes integration? It's so easy to use. A no brainer.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I suspect that Apple would not have promoted the AppleTV from "hobby" status were it not for the Google competition, and I suspect that Apple now regrets the promotion.

Maybe you should look at the keynotes again, he introduced it has "one more hobby" for crying out loud.

To be successful, a TV device need to be has simple has it can get. Even AppleTV "braindead" interface is still too complex for some people. If I cant figured out what the heck GoogleTv actually does, imagine how average Joe is doing.

Android "flash" tablets hint: Studios are already planning to BLOCK tablets with flash from accessing there TV content sites. This what you get when you want to bypass studios negociations. ditto for GoogleTV. Maybe Apple only got ABC/FOX/Disney, but at least they went upfront and tried.

I just hope Apple starts an AppleTV "apps" store soon so that thing can be all it can be.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

TV manufacturers should be bending over backwards trying to convince Apple to integrate ATV into their hardware.

Who says they didn't and Jobs said no.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I doubt very much that TV executives (i.e., Hollywood) went begging to Steve to be a part of his insular, 99-cent world.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    Quote:

I?m sure I?ll get a lot of slack for this comment, but from a literal stand point, Apple owns the living room. Between the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad ...

I agree with you. But I would add that in addition to hardware, the content/services side of the equation is comparably important. And with its near-ubiquitous ITunes, Apple owns that too!
  • Reply 19 of 63
    Quote:

I?m sure I?ll get a lot of slack for this comment, but from a literal stand point, Apple owns the living room. Between the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad I bet there are more internet-capable, computing devices in the living room from Apple than any other CE company. They don?t own the HEC of the living room, and may never own that, but that is no longer the only place in the living room where people are being engaged by electronics.

I'm not so sure about that to be honest. The average consumer hasn't figured out that they can stream their content to a TV, and for them they are still using cable/satellite and a DVD/BD device for their viewing habits.

Amongst those of us who do want to be able to stream content to our TVs, the XBOX and Windows Media (and/or PlayOn) combination (or a PS/3 and UPnP combo) seem to be the king. I'd even argue that in many ways these combos are more powerful than what Apple's offering. The devices play far more formats and offer a fair bit more flexibility (out-of-the-box Apple sticks you to iTunes-compatible formats and a very limited selection of Internet content, while the XBOX and PS3 offer more video formats and more Internet content). I think what Apple offers is ease of connectivity, and once those average consumers figure out how easy it is, Apple may take control of the living room.

I'm not saying I think Microsoft or Sony are offering preferable options. I looked at the 360 and PS/3 and opted for a 1st-Gen AppleTV and love it (especially after hacking the TV and putting Boxee on it).
  • Reply 20 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Well it would be reported here on AI if dialogue had taken place wouldn't it?