spotlight

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
hello, i recently read that disabling Spot will make a minor boost to game performance. my question is: how do i disable it?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Canadian_steel View Post

hello, i recently read that disabling Spot will make a minor boost to game performance. my question is: how do i disable it?

I would doubt that. Spotlight indexes when the filesystem changes. When you are playing a game, the filesystem doesn't change at all unless you save a game and that's just one file. If you want to improve game performance, run Windows first of all and install an SSD drive.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I would doubt that. Spotlight indexes when the filesystem changes. When you are playing a game, the filesystem doesn't change at all unless you save a game and that's just one file. If you want to improve game performance, run Windows first of all and install an SSD drive.

I got this from Blizzards forum that Blizzard officially posted. Their engineers probably discovered this. FYI and thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fairly simply.

i found the snow leopard command on a link from that page. its disabled.

thanks
  • Reply 5 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Canadian_steel View Post

I got this from Blizzards forum that Blizzard officially posted. Their engineers probably discovered this. FYI and thanks.

One reason posted online was that WoW caches some data as the game plays, which gets indexed. In that case, you just have to exclude the WoW folder from Spotlight using the privacy panel. It's not going to boost performance overall though in the sense that your framerate will be higher.

There's no harm in following the listed options here but some are much more important than others:

http://wow-blue.com/mac-technical-su...rformance.html

What spec hardware are you running on? If you run a benchmark tool like xbench, you can see what your hard drive throughput is. If you have an old hard drive, especially on an older machine, your writes can be quite slow, which would cause stuttering during caching. A solid state drive or even a faster hard drive can help.

If you want a higher framerate, the best thing to do would be to follow the graphics optimization guides:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/969747052