Sales of new Apple TV to exceed 1 million this week

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday announced it expects sales of its new streaming-centric Apple TV to top one million units later this week, before Christmas and within three months of the device's launch.

The news shows that sales of the Apple TV, famously referred to as Apple's "hobby," have not slowed since the device was released in late September. Apple revealed in October that the set top box had sold more than 250,000 in its first six weeks of availability.

Strong demand for the Apple TV at launch led some to predict that the device would sell 1 million per quarter, thanks in part to its aggressive $99 price.

Apple also offered tighter integration with the iOS ecosystem when it updated the Apple TV in November, adding support for AirPlay. With AirPlay, users can instantly stream some videos from their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to their TV set.

The new Apple TV also represented a shift for the company, as it pushed studios to allow 99 cent rentals of TV shows, rather than costlier permanent purchases. But some studios have been reluctant to participate, calling Apple's 99-cent model too inexpensive.

The newly updated Apple TV also managed to make Time magazine's list of the top 10 gadgets of 2010, coming in at No. 7. The iPad was the top gadget, while the new MacBook Air took fourth, and the iPhone 4 was sixth.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Gathering momentum! I certainly enjoy mine and I have retired the Mk 1 to the spare room as an alternate audio only destination for iTunes.

Is this product being advertised much or is this word of mouth? I can't recall a TV ad.

BTW Apple perhaps should stop hiding ATV under 'iPod' on their web site!
  • Reply 2 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Gathering momentum! I certainly enjoy mine and I have retired the Mk 1 to the spare room as an alternate audio only destination for iTunes.

Is this product being advertised much or is this word of mouth? I can't recall a TV ad.

I will most likely get one as soon as our local iTunes-store starts distributing Films with subtitles and original soundtrack.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's good news. I normally don't buy things like this (preferring "serious" computing devices), but I got an ATV2 because it was so cheap, and had the potential to replace the spaghetti of cables and optical drive readers under my TV. And am quite impressed with it.

I wish I had one of the newer houses wired with ethernet though, because wireless is fine, but not snappy like wired, and don't really want a cable taped around the wall.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    Any news on a hack for 1080p out? If it's taking it in and downconverting it, it should be easier to just make it fly straight through.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    Now all we need is an iOS iTunes / Home Server / Cloud Server / Time Machine.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I haven't seen any advertising and I suspect there isn't any--they are clearly not ready to make this product a full member of the Apple family (hence the oft repeated "hobby" monicker). My guess is they don't want a full push until they have more content options that they can count on--look at the bad pr Google is getting right now with their half baked product...

Quote:

That might be a good intermediate step.

Step one: introduce it as a hobby and let the motivated users try it out. Work out the kinks and find a niche.

Step two: stop hiding it and gather more content partners.

Step three: announce it as yet another leg on the Apple table--advertise it and make it a "must have."

Step four: sell tens of millions a year...
  • Reply 7 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

iServe
  • Reply 8 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

iServe

Now wouldn't that be a punch in the face to the XServe crowd?
  • Reply 9 of 65
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's good news. I normally don't buy things like this (preferring "serious" computing devices), but I got an ATV2 because it was so cheap, and had the potential to replace the spaghetti of cables and optical drive readers under my TV. And am quite impressed with it.

All of these positive reports should strengthen sales. I know they have changed my opinion a bit.

Quote:

I wish I had one of the newer houses wired with ethernet though, because wireless is fine, but not snappy like wired, and don't really want a cable taped around the wall.

This however I don't understand. Yes wired Ethernet is much smarter for a device like this. In fact I have to wonder about people that run wiFi to any sort of media server. What I have trouble with though is the idea that you think you are stuck with what you have in your house. Wiring the house up for Ethernet is very possible even as a DIY project. That is assuming you live in a place where you still have the freedom to do such DIY projects. At worst you have to invest in a few tools and a bunch of wire. Well that and an Ethernet switch.

On the otherhand if you are not DIY inclined you can always hire a contractor. The point is your house is not a static environment and can change to suit your needs over time. In the near future you might want to run optical cable and really shouldn't be sadden by the current state of your house.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

What stops you from taking any Mac (preferably though a Mac mini, can be a very old model as well) attach enough storage, and presto you have your server. Or put a 3 TB drive into a TC.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    I'm surprised that it's not selling much better, actually. I am convinced that digital delivery is the way to go...it works so flawlessly with our Apple TV, and the video quality exceeds that of Cable HD.

Funny, my wife dropped some more Christmas presents under the tree last night and one of them looks suspiciously like a DVD. That started me thinking, I don't think we've purchased a DVD in two years. We still don't have a Blu-ray player, we just either watch what's on cable or we buy/rent shows on iTunes. I never want to buy another physical DVD again.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Apple TV = Success

Google TV = FLOP
  • Reply 13 of 65
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

On the otherhand if you are not DIY inclined you can always hire a contractor. The point is your house is not a static environment and can change to suit your needs over time. In the near future you might want to run optical cable and really shouldn't be sadden by the current state of your house.

That might be the way to go. I am not comfortable running cables around the walls, afraid I will electrocute myself, or lay something wrong such that it starts a fire in future.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    Quote:

I was at the Apple store just the other day buying a power supple for my MBP. Of course I had to window shop a bit and one thing I'm looking for is a decent storage / server system primarily for media. Sadly they really don't have anything tailored for a modern home installation. By modern I mean no noisy solutions or giant rack mount solutions.

I'm not against rack mount solutions I just think a rack mount computer that is 20" to 30" deep is a bit of a joke. I'm not even sure such devices make sense even in a commercial setting anymore. All of that aside a rack mount server these days should't bee much deeper than an Ethernet switch. Such a server would save a lot of space in the home setting.

Now given that even a small rack mount device would likely rub people the wrong way Apple has nothing for the desktop either. Mini server is pretty cool but is far to limited to be a media server. Such a server needs to grow with the user. A mini with a LightPeak connection to a storage array might be better but you more or less end up paying for two computing platforms then instead of one.

Apple does need to get on the ball here. This really isn't rocket science any more. All they really need to do is to throw some fertilizer on the Mini so it can grow a little taller and accept three to four low profile storage devices. Accept in a highly user servicable way.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    I'd like to see ATV2 focus on movie rentals (I have one). They should be at release parity with Blockbuster and Netflix (and I mean mail-ables, not just streaming). Replacing cable providers is a ways off, replacing Blockbuster is a matter of time. Make it a must have for movie buffs. Where is Zombieland? Where's Jurassic Park? Where's Saving Private Ryan?

And allow for an external hard drive on the USB port, and integrate it for purchases and your own stuff.

And visualizations during music.

And better podcasts / freebies.
  • Reply 16 of 65
    250,000 in the first six weeks

750,000 in the next eight weeks

Nice, but probably the holidays talking. I'm curious about the January numbers.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    Quote:

Apple is unlikely to create such a beast because only a small minority is really screaming or it. For most, streaming off your home computer is fine. they dont need a separate server etc.

The only thing on your list that could be useful to all is a cloud server and off site streaming of owned media, particularly music. Without having to do the wholel iDisk thing. Which could happen, if the labels don't block it

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

Where is Zombieland? Where's Jurassic Park? Where's Saving Private Ryan?

Ask the studios
  • Reply 18 of 65
    Quote:

That might be the way to go. I am not comfortable running cables around the walls, afraid I will electrocute myself, or lay something wrong such that it starts a fire in future.

There is no power in ethernet cables...none. It's about as dangerous to run a fishing line through your house.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    Quote:

I got tired of the unreliable WiFi and I got my existing housed wired with Cat6 Gigabit Ethernet... home office, living rooms, bedrooms. Cost about $1,000 including labor, cable and connectors. Ran everything inside the walls to the attic. The electrician used a "fishing tape".

Anyway, it does make a big difference. All the computers are hardwired, plus the Time Machine... so I got 2 hot spots for WiFi. Back-ups, networking runs quite good. I got the ATV hardwired too. They should have made the ATV with 1080p.

Again, for me it was worth the cost of hardwiring.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    Quote:

While I can understand your desire to keep your house safe this is not the same class of wiring that is AC power. While I haven't looked for one there ought to be a DIY manual out there for Ethernet wiring of a home.

Your preference seems to be hiring a contractor though. To that end find one with experience installing Ethernet wiring. This is an issue because doing a quality job pays off in the long run.

A third option, that is far more time consuming, is to sign up for a local night school class to learn AC residential wiring. That may sound like an extreme solution but it could pay off in the long run if it is a well run course. Why AC residential wiring? To keep yourself safe because that is where the danger is. Plus much of the mechanical/physical work is the same. It is up to you to decide if you have the interest and desire to go this route.