Sales of new Apple TV to exceed 1 million this week

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foobar View Post

250,000 in the first six weeks

750,000 in the next eight weeks

Nice, but probably the holidays talking. I'm curious about the January numbers.

I suppose sales could keep going, if the people who pick one up this month like them enough to tell others about them.

The fact that Apple is even releasing numbers is positive. I don't think I ever saw numbers on the ATV v1. And as Jobs has said "sell a lot of something, you want to tell everybody."
  • Reply 22 of 65
    Got four already. Buying four more for presents. Amazon is sold out.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Anyway, it does make a big difference. All the computers are hardwired, plus the Time Machine... so I got 2 hot spots for WiFi. Back-ups, networking runs quite good. I got the ATV hardwired too. They should have made the ATV with 1080p.

Nice setup. Yes, $1000 would be worth it for me too, I spend enough time on the computer to justify it.
  • Reply 24 of 65
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

A third option, that is far more time consuming, is to sign up for a local night school class to learn AC residential wiring. That may sound like an extreme solution but it could pay off in the long run if it is a well run course. Why AC residential wiring? To keep yourself safe because that is where the danger is. Plus much of the mechanical/physical work is the same. It is up to you to decide if you have the interest and desire to go this route.

That could be a fun holiday project I suppose, take a night class and then wire the house!
  • Reply 25 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

All of these positive reports should strengthen sales. I know they have changed my opinion a bit.

This however I don't understand. Yes wired Ethernet is much smarter for a device like this. In fact I have to wonder about people that run wiFi to any sort of media server. What I have trouble with though is the idea that you think you are stuck with what you have in your house. Wiring the house up for Ethernet is very possible even as a DIY project. That is assuming you live in a place where you still have the freedom to do such DIY projects. At worst you have to invest in a few tools and a bunch of wire. Well that and an Ethernet switch.

On the otherhand if you are not DIY inclined you can always hire a contractor. The point is your house is not a static environment and can change to suit your needs over time. In the near future you might want to run optical cable and really shouldn't be sadden by the current state of your house.

Here's a thought - running cable especially if you have a 2 storey house can be a real pain. Here are a couple of options -

At my downstairs TV, we have 3 devices requiring ethernet : PS3, TiVO series 3, ATV2. When connecting wireless, the connection could be spotty.

Ended up using a Airport Express to extend the network wirelessly. Base station is a Time Capsule. Ethernet cable from AE goes to a 5 port switch, and the 3 devices connect to the switch. Works really well.

Another solution is to use PowerLine adapters. Basically one side is connected to your router or switch, and ethernet signals go through the house A/C wiring to the other side which you could go to your ATV or a switch. I have not personally tried out PowerLine myself, but a friend of mine who has one swears by it.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple is unlikely to create such a beast because only a small minority is really screaming or it. For most, streaming off your home computer is fine. they dont need a separate server etc.

The problem is Apple doesn't have a home computer suitable for this. The issue is storage and easy access to what storage the machines do have. We could all buy Mac Pros but that is far to expensive for this need.

We are talking TB of storage here. For many a desktop would be fine if it offered up reasonable serviceability.

Quote:

The only thing on your list that could be useful to all is a cloud server and off site streaming of owned media, particularly music.

Boy have you got that reversed. Streaming will never be useful to all. At least not in my lifetime as to many people simply don't have the bandwidth available to them or are not willing to pay the costs. Make no mistake here maintaining a network connection and a streaming service is extremely expensive.

Quote:

Without having to do the wholel iDisk thing. Which could happen, if the labels don't block it

Let's hope the labels do block it! Seriously. Why; because the whole idea of streaming media, both music and video, is pretty stupid. The required bandwidth is massive and frankly a good portion of the country would never be able to take part. The bandwidth problem gets dramatically worst if you have any sort of RF networking involved.

Look at it this way, what would happen if every car on the freeway had it's own 3/4G channel open streaming music and data to the car. On an open freeway no problem on a congested freeway during rush hour it might get pretty bad. Hell any big convention can bring kcal cell and WiFi services to their knees.

Quote:

Clearly I see the move to streaming to be one of the most foolish ideas to come along in a long time. All it really is is a way for media companies to set a hook into you and extract monthly fees via long contracts. You believe streaming is in your best interest to which I have to say that is a sign of gullibility. Corporations like Apple are interested simoly because they see it as a way to even more profits.

Ask the studios

• Reply 27 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Now all we need is an iOS iTunes / Home Server / Cloud Server / Time Machine.

Defintely agree with that- an iTunes Server. I have mine on an external drive now but find the flashing G Drive lights are making me bonkers everytime I play something
  • Reply 28 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

What stops you from taking any Mac (preferably though a Mac mini, can be a very old model as well) attach enough storage, and presto you have your server. Or put a 3 TB drive into a TC.

Mac minis are expensive but that would work.
  • Reply 29 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foobar View Post

250,000 in the first six weeks

750,000 in the next eight weeks

Nice, but probably the holidays talking. I'm curious about the January numbers.

I think the number was 250k in the first TWO weeks.

The holidays surely have something to do with it, but remember that the AppleTV was around the 2007 holidays so there the HW change, SW change and price drop are surely acting upon it?s surge in sales.

Some SW updates, an SDK and some adverts would keep the momentum going nicely. If they time a future AppleTV with 1080p content from the iTS or Netflix you have added incentive for people to drop another $99 (or more) for another AppleTV.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

The fact that Apple is even releasing numbers is positive. I don't think I ever saw numbers on the ATV v1. And as Jobs has said "sell a lot of something, you want to tell everybody."

They made some silly marketing comments about sales be x-many times higher than a previous period, but I can?t recall any solid numbers.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

Here's a thought - running cable especially if you have a 2 storey house can be a real pain. Here are a couple of options -

Yeah there are a lot of variabilities here. A log cabin could be very difficult. Understanding how things are done though can help you decide on viability or time/difficulty trade offs.

Quote:

At my downstairs TV, we have 3 devices requiring ethernet : PS3, TiVO series 3, ATV2. When connecting wireless, the connection could be spotty.

That isn't surprising.

Quote:

Ended up using a Airport Express to extend the network wirelessly. Base station is a Time Capsule. Ethernet cable from AE goes to a 5 port switch, and the 3 devices connect to the switch. Works really well.

This is a very reasonable approach. That is using wireless to extend a network into areas where it is hard to get wiring to.

Quote:

Another solution is to use PowerLine adapters. Basically one side is connected to your router or switch, and ethernet signals go through the house A/C wiring to the other side which you could go to your ATV or a switch. I have not personally tried out PowerLine myself, but a friend of mine who has one swears by it.

Im not a big fan of power line adapters. You are basically imposing noise on the line.

In any event I hope people didn't mis understand me. I'm not against WiFi in the home. Rather wired Ethernet is a better solution for hooking up devices that are more or less stationary. It is more reliable and significantly reduces WiFi congestion. Plus it is faster which is always nice.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    We have completed our migration from satellite TV to streaming. While we still have a satellite subscription, we have not watched a TV channel for over one month. I will now cancel my satellite account. Thanks Apple! Between Netflix and our ability to access iTunes in the U.S., U.K. and Canada we have all of the viewing that we want. During this holiday, I will set up streaming from my computer to the TV - end of!
  • Reply 32 of 65
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

There is no power in ethernet cables...none. It's about as dangerous to run a fishing line through your house.

True but still a major undertaking. No one wants to see a bunch of cable tacked to the baseboards and over doorways or drill holes through walls. My house is a ranch style with an attic throughout. I did run ethernet to every room except the bath rooms. Even so, drilling down through the walls with a six foot long flexible bit, you stand a chance of hitting an electrical cable as well as when cutting holes in the drywall for the outlet could knick a power cable too, if you are not super careful.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggarthomas View Post

We have completed our migration from satellite TV to streaming. While we still have a satellite subscription, we have not watched a TV channel for over one month. I will now cancel my satellite account. Thanks Apple! Between Netflix and our ability to access iTunes in the U.S., U.K. and Canada we have all of the viewing that we want. During this holiday, I will set up streaming from my computer to the TV - end of!

You don't watch any sports then?
  • Reply 35 of 65
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

There is no power in ethernet cables...none. It's about as dangerous to run a fishing line through your house.

if your house catches on fire then the plastic in the cables will turn into toxic fumes
  • Reply 36 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

if your house catches on fire then the plastic in the cables will turn into toxic fumes

I think that would be the least of your worries at that point.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    Nice item still needs work:

1080p would be nice as 720p is O;K. but not great.

Also needs to work better on a PC as not everyone is running a Mac.

Definitely worth the $99
  • Reply 38 of 65
    Quote:

Be definition there is power in an Ethernet cable otherwise it couldn't transmit info. That power is extremely small though and not normally a hazard. However not normally does not mean never as Ethernet ports are designed to with stand significant voltages on the lines. This however is very seldom an issue in a home setting.

In any event the big issue in a home setting isn't Ethernet itself but rather accidental contact with live AC circuits during installation. The common errors in old work are drilling into a hot cable or driving a nail into a hot cable. So while Ethernet cabling is mostly hazard free one should be fully aware of the issues with AC wiring before engaging in a major Ethernet installation.

One of the reasons I suggested a course in residential wiring is that you learn the basics of safe practices and what some of the potential hazards are. Beyound that knowing the tricks and techniques to do the physical work can be very useful. Especially if you have never done such work before. Installing junction boxes and fishing wires through old work might sound easy if you have done it before but if you haven't it can be perplexing.

I also failed to point out that a DIY approach requires a certain desire or willingness to invest in tools. Some will see the expense hear as a sign that hiring a contractor is the smart thing to do. On the otherhand many see tools as long term investments.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    This is very embarrassing for Google/Sony/Logitech. what a bunch of losers.

Google TV is a JOKE!

i love my Apple TV!!!
  • Reply 40 of 65
    For $99, its a nice hobby. Works for me. However, I am curious and open to Roku, Google TV etc. Im not ruling out a another device in the future. Hope Apple stays on top of their game.

I use ATV2 to watch rentals of NEW movies, You Tube and PodCasts(MacBreak Weekly etc).

NO TV shows... sorry IMO 99cents rental for old TV show just doesn't cut it. Thats where either being able to 'buy a season, with cloud/local storage' or using the home server would come in handy( I still don't know how to copy my DVD movies and DVD TV shows 'easily'.. .and I've been looking, any ideas?)

Sharing photo's and music from iphone is super easy and quick. I don't use it a lot though, have to go through the motions to set up the TV and stereo... usually just for special occasions.

Besides a full USB interface for external storage, the other hardware addition I think it would be nice is an HTML internal switch in the unit. Run my regular TV signal thru ATV2 and be able to switch.. bam, to ATV2. As it stands now, got to change the TV monitor selection, change my stereo tuner selection etc... its pain and yes I am lazy. No, I don't want to pay for a programable remote.