Verizon reportedly sees iPhone as "essential to future success"

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Apple can keep everybody happy.

iPhone 4 for Verizon at beginning of year.

No need to hurry next version. Everybody seems to be happy so far with the new upgrade.

Everyone can wait a while longer while LTE gets better footing. By then Apple will have the dual core model ready for iphone 5.

That, and their version of the Cloud will be established by then. Google seems to be going a little backwards recently. And nobody else seems to be gaining ground on them.

Everybody will stay happy.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

This is lame. Come on Daniel, you are taking an analyst's word about Verizon and the iphone?

I mean, come on, you derided people for saying that here:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/0...ng-to-verizon/

Prepare however, of course, for me to bring that link back up to your attention if the CDMA iphone comes out. Because, as you said:

That's an opinion from April of 2009 refuting claims that an Verizon iPhone was just around the corner. What Dan wrote back then has been correct for the past two years. He also said back then that rumors of talks wouldn't amount to anything "within the next couple years," meaning that an iPhone on Verizon in early 2011 could be possible.

Again, you are a searching hard for something Dan's *ever* been wrong about across years of making (sometimes rather edgy) predictions. Shame on you and your context-free accusations.

How many years now have you been wrong about Verizon delivering an iPhone?
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Creative View Post

I paid Verizon $210 to get out of my contract in 2007. I made the decision to jump to Att after my agency's IT group opened up the iPhone to the corporate network. I saw the iPhone as an investment in myself. To this day it remains one of the most important tools I employ for managing & growing my business and thus my career.

Agreed. I don't think people give this aspect of the iPhone enough credit. I use mine at work every day. The upgrade cost I make to the next iPhone every 18 months is a bargain to me and my productivity. Not to mention feeding my obsession with Angry Birds during my "down time"!
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

That's an opinion from April of 2009 refuting claims that an Verizon iPhone was just around the corner. What Dan wrote back then has been correct for the past two years. He also said back then that rumors of talks wouldn't amount to anything "within the next couple years," meaning that an iPhone on Verizon in early 2011 could be possible.

Again, you are a searching hard for something Dan's *ever* been wrong about across years of making (sometimes rather edgy) predictions. Shame on you and your context-free accusations.

How many years now have you been wrong about Verizon delivering an iPhone?

Hey Archos, what part of:

Quote:

There is no chance of an iPhone for Verizon.

Quote:

What good is it to develop a secondary, parallel development of the iPhone to gain a standing in front of 80 million potential new customers when you lose your existing partner currently promoting the iPhone to 80 million existing customers as well as sucking the life from Sprint and syphoning the cream off the top of Verizon?

Quote:

Why would Apple halve its telephony development efforts to cater to a tiny demographic of the world currently attached to a dead end mobile phone technology?

Quote:

CDMA/EVDO will essentially be dead in just two years, as far as data-rich smartphones go.

Quote:

It would be ridiculous for Apple to spend a year developing an EVDO mobile stack so that it could offer potential AT&T switchers a lazier alternative for another year before everyone began wanting a mobile device faster than EVDO or today’s UMTS can deliver.

Quote:

But LTE is still years away from being built out, and between now and then, there is no reason to build a CDMA/EVDO phone when Apple’s efforts can be used elsewhere and the exclusively-AT&T iPhone can instead to prove that Apple’s product is so good that people are paying extra and making do with AT&T’s still-under-construction network just to get it.

do you not understand? Your quote

Quote:

If there were any possibility for Apple to be in even “high level talks” with Verizon, it would not have anything to do with the iPhone appearing on Verizon’s network within the next couple years.

Again, you cherry picked, then made it seem like he has an out. He doesn't. The vast majority of the article goes point by point why a CDMA phone will never happen.

Seems your only 13 posts on this forum are trying to prove your boy right.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

... I'm hoping they just move up to a 6-month refresh cycle to combat the frequent Android releases. Sure, the upgrades would be less substantial, but it would keep their hardware on the cutting edge, which is where they want and need to be...

Wrong. The hardware is just an empty frame. It's just the box that the software comes in. And software, as we all know, is Google's greatest weakness (and Microsoft's greatest weakness as well, for that matter.)

Software + Hardware = User Experience. The great user experience is Apple's greatest strength, because for them it's greater than the sum of its parts. So let the copycats try to be different and better. It costs them because every year they'll be forced back to the drawing board when Apple does a major new iPhone release.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

it would keep their hardware on the cutting edge, which is where they want and need to be.

Yes, because it's always possible to sell more than every phone you can possibly make.

Sheesh... the logic demonstrated in these forums is just breathtaking
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Unlike when you buy the latest and greatest Android phone only to see it eclipsed by the next latest and greatest Android phone 15 minutes later?

Why would anyone feel "film flamed" just because Apple brings out a new phone 6 months after you bought one? That's actually relatively slow for the phone industry, and almost anyone is going to spend at least a year of their two year contact with last year's phone. I think most consumers are pretty aware of how that works.

I am still using the iPhone 2G and don't feel like I have an underperforming phone. Will probably upgrade with iPhone 5 mostly due to battery life decreasing.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Don't you think those who waited (or bought Droids) would have switched if they could have? If you can't use the iPhone as a phone, its kinda pointless isn't it?

I've had my iPhone for three and a half years. Not once have I used it as a phone. Not pointless. Don't regret it.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I dunno, I'm not sure that Big V will get that much of a bump when iPhone comes along. People outside SF actually get pretty good coverage with ATT and are unlikely to leave wether due to contract terms or simply due to hassle it takes to go through the process. Maybe a 10% of iPhone users will leave ATT in the short term.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

2007 Verizon will sell the iPhone

2008 Verizon will sell the iPhone

2009 Verizon will sell the iPhone

2010 Verizon will sell the iPhone

2011 Verizon will sell the iPhone

Eventually, a broken clock is 'correct' twice a day.

I feel sorry for all those who continue to wait based on these rumors. You missed out on a great experience over the last few years.

I can live with what-ever phone I have. I just hate answering the phone mostly, unless it's a friend and not work. I do however know three people who will definitely buy one when it hits Verizon. Me being one of them.

However, after 5:00pm I don't want to look at my phone... I'm apparently in the vast minority.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I've had my iPhone for three and a half years. Not once have I used it as a phone. Not pointless. Don't regret it.

Buy an iPod touch. Trust me, you apparently won't notice a difference.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

I have assume there is an implied use of cellular data in his post, which excludes using an iPod Touch.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Given his track record, if Wu said it then it is not true. Verizon is never getting the iPhone and sn't really bugged about it. Cause ya know, Android is the bomb
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

I have one, too. I notice I can't set alarms on it or take pictures, among other things.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have assume there is an implied use of cellular data in his post, which excludes using an iPod Touch.

Nope, no telephony plan of any sort. Just an iPhone-without-the-phone.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I'm still waiting for the Verizon tv Christmas ads of the Land of Misfit Toys?!

Kiss the Apple Ring oh Verizon, Kiss the Apple Ring... Jobs commands you!

Keep in mind the ad never disses the iphone. Just the carrier it's on.