Apple releases iPhoto 9.1.1, iPhone Configuration Utility 3.2

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple issued a free update for iPhoto and a new version of its iPhone Configuration Utility for both Mac and Windows users.

iPhoto 9.1.1

The update for iPhoto adds new email options to iPhoto '11, improves overall stability and addresses a number of other minor issues, the company stated.

iPhoto '11 changed how the iLife app shares photos via email, forcing users to create HTML formatted emails within the app; the new update adds back a preference that allows photos to one again simply be emailed out as simple attachments using an external email application.

The new update also adds "Classic" and "Journal" themes to email photos sent from the app, and photos attached to an email can now be sized to Small, Medium or Large.

The update also improves reliability when upgrading a library from an earlier version of iPhoto, correctly preserves the sort order of Events after upgrading a library, and event titles that are displayed in headers can now be edited in Photos view.

The update also addresses a problem that could cause duplicate photos to be added to a MobileMe album; the scrolling overlay now correctly displays ratings when photos are sorted by rating; photos are now sorted correctly when a rating is changed and photos are sorted by rating and the update fixes a problem that could cause text formatting controls to become inaccessible when editing a calendar.

iPhone Configuration Utility 3.2

For corporate users, Apple released an updated version of its iPhone Configuration Utility, which allows organizations to create, maintain, encrypt, and install configuration profiles, track and install provisioning profiles and authorized applications, and capture device information including console logs.

iPhone configuration profiles are XML files that contain device security policies, VPN configuration information, WiFi settings, APN settings, Exchange account settings, mail settings, and certificates that automatically set up iPhone and iPod touch devices to work with the enterprise infrastructure set up within the company.

Apple provides more information on how to integrate iOS devices within an enterprise at http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/enterprise/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    When are we going to be able to natively organize photos and folders in iOS? Got this great device called an iP4 with a crippled app called iPhoto.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Thank goodness for that, did my head in the way iPhoto forced you to use one of it's templates!

At least Apple occasionally listens to their customers.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

When are we going to be able to natively organize photos and folders in iOS? Got this great device called an iP4 with a crippled app called iPhoto.

This has nothing to do with the thread. Please stay on topic.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    To avoid using iPhoto to send pictures do this:

iPhoto>Preferences>General>eMail photos using: change to Mail.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Unfortunately, Mac Pro 1,1 users with the nVidia 7300 GT video cards (even with a firmware update to the latest ROM) are still out of luck. iPhoto '11 is still almost unusable.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    It's a fine update but not that big a deal. With iPhoto I almost always follow this procedure for emailing pictures. In Mail.app, open the Media browser, search for the picture I wanted to email, select it and send it at my desired resolution setting (Actual Size, Large, Medium or Small). iPhoto is never opened.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

It's a fine update but not that big a deal. With iPhoto I almost always follow this procedure for emailing pictures. In Mail.app, open the Media browser, search for the picture I wanted to email, select it and send it at my desired resolution setting (Actual Size, Large, Medium or Small). iPhoto is never opened.

But it's good they changed this... it was a stupid oversight.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robnyc View Post

To avoid using iPhoto to send pictures do this:

iPhoto>Preferences>General>eMail photos using: change to Mail.

Maybe I am dense. I looked in iPhoto '11 ne 9.1 and was unable to find the eMail option in General or anywhere else as far as that is concerned. Can you elaborate or post a screenshot?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Maybe I am dense. I looked in iPhoto '11 ne 9.1 and was unable to find the eMail option in General or anywhere else as far as that is concerned. Can you elaborate or post a screenshot?

To set iPhoto '11 (v. 9.1.1) to use Mail to email photos, go to Preferences and select Mail from a drop-down menu. Go:

iPhoto > Preferences > General > Email photos using > Mail

I have all sorts of email accounts set-up in Mail; I use Mail instead of the new internal iPhoto module because it allows me to:
    1. Choose which mail account to use

2. Cc someone on the sent photo (can't do that in the internal module)

3. Send from my Outlook Exchange mail account (more below)

Setting up an Exchange email account is simplex on an iPhone, an iPad or in Mail on a Mac. However, for some reason, Apple chose to strip away the ease in iPhoto and make it a Herculean task for mere mortals like me. I gave up, and chose the regular Mail route for all the reasons above.

Hope this helps.