Sony launches streaming music service to take on Apple's iTunes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So they favor Ireland over the U.K.; who doesn't? I certainly do.

If you don't like the journalism, don't read it. It's not why I come to the forums, and it doesn't have any impact on discussion beyond people complaining about AI's "fanboyism", "plagiarism", and "twisting" of stories. If you watch [insert news channel leaning toward political party here], you probably don't watch [insert news channel leaning toward opposing political party here], do you? Same thing; JUST IGNORE IT.

That's not why he said it was a new low. You just blatantly ignored his last statement.

The author here quoted something from AP that AP never actually said!

"Misinformation is good for you.", says Tallest Skil.

See how that's bad?
  • Reply 22 of 45
    what Spotify does than iTunes?
  • Reply 23 of 45
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's not why I come to the forums, and it doesn't have any impact on discussion beyond people complaining about AI's "fanboyism", "plagiarism", and "twisting" of stories.

that's not how it works.

based on your statement, i will start a new website (i'm gonna call it insideappleinsider.com). and all i will do is take every appleinsider article, switch a few words around, create a few new "facts", and include a cleverly hidden link back to the original appleinsider article. fine by you, yeah? don't like it? ignore it!

this article didn't even mention that this is an ap story. they linked to a yahoo story, which provided the proper attribution. lame.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I think it's pronounced like "curiosity".

That makes sense, after you point it out but I?m not sure I ever would have figured that out on my own.

Quote:

That said, I wonder if it'll have the same old Sony-can't-write-shit-for-software disease that has caused me to toss any free software that comes with all the Sony consumer hardware products that I've ever purchased.

It?s too bad they didn?t see the need for good code, because if anyone could have taken on Apple on directly I?d think it would be Sony.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

So they're taking on iTunes by pushing out a service nothing like iTunes?

That?s a good way to attack a problem. Apple surely didn?t get to their position today by following their competitor?s lead and then hitting them head on from behind.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Sony's new service appears to be competing with Rhapsody, Napster and Spotify and less with iTunes. The big difference is that these three existing services are open and can be played on a wide range of devices, regardless of brand and whether they are "integrated". Major uphill battle for Sony unless they offer it dirt cheap to gain market share. And just when Sony thought that they gained momentum, Apple comes out with iTunes in the cloud...
  • Reply 26 of 45
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    So if I take an AP story that begins with

Quote:

Sony Corp. on Wednesday launched a music streaming service in a bid to boost sales of its consumer electronics and break Apple's dominance of the online music business.

and suggest that Sony intends to compete with Apple (as any sentient observer would agree), it's some kind of grotesque distortion?

Yes, I agree getting quotes wrong is bad, but in this instance it doesn't materially change the original article and is pretty much a common-sense conclusion. Are we going to have to spend the next 4 pages gnashing our teeth and railing against the Abomination That Is AI while pretending that they've committed a crime against humanity and possibly opened themselves to criminal charges etc.? A sense of proportion might be in order.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

That's not why he said it was a new low. You just blatantly ignored his last statement.

Yes, it's satire. I was making light of his complaint by taking it out of context and applying it to a different portion of the post. I suppose it works better in verbal communication.

Quote:

The author here quoted something from AP that AP never actually said!

"Misinformation is good for you.", says Tallest Skil.

See how that's bad?

Yes, it's satire. AppleInsider shouldn't be doing this. So just ignore it or go somewhere else. They won't change unless something happens.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

You must have an ATRAC-compatible Sony device with a built-in Memory Stick Duo port (not Memory Stick or Memory Stick Select) to stream music.

However, it will work with Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo if your device is ATRAC3plus-compatible. ATRAC3 (LP2 and LP4 Modes) devices can use the Memory Stick XC (also known as Memory Stick Format Series for Extended High Capacity) to store streams, but can only do so if the songs are longer than 4m52s.

That's too funny!
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Is it pronounced "Qllocity"?
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Account created...device activated...time to play
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Still fumbling around with trying to develop an iTunes Music Store killer, eh Sony?

That is so 2006... advance forward five years Sony, to 2011... The Mac App Store is where it's at! Or will be, and something you will want to get with MS about with regards to PC's version.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesJpn View Post

I lived in Japan for 8 years and I know how hard it is for many Japanese to pronounce the difference between an L and an R. I wonder if Mr Hirai tried to say 'appeal' but it came out to sound like 'appear' and so they quoted it as such. Or is this just a typo...

I caught that, too. It's a typo - read the link to the Yahoo article:

"We realized that if we were playing catch up with the same (iTunes) model, it would be difficult to appeal to users," Hirai told reporters in Tokyo.

As half-Chinese myself, I assumed it to be an unfortunate and very funny typo. No offense taken, Katie.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Major difference between this service and Panora: This is available in countries other than the U.S., which is a boon for the traveller. Pandora also has a pay service, which allows for more skips and other options. Still, Pandora gets a little old after a while, especially with all the live album crap, and this however-you-pronounce-it service will too. Then again, even iTunes is getting pretty old and bloated for some of us.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I've yet to find a set of Pandora criteria that didn't eventually lead to Cold Play.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    >>> it would be difficult to appear to users

I believe that should be "appeal to users".
  • Reply 36 of 45
    This is complete BS!

Sony owns most of the music on itunes. Apple gives Sony music to sell their sh**. Ha ha! To the uninitiated this must seem like a battle of the titans, but it ain't.

Sony IS itunes, based on their percentage of the music it owns on itunes.

Now that's how you think deeply!
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleAddict2011 View Post

The AI story is based on an AP story, which is here: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Very, very interesting to read the AP source intact, and to compare it to the AI story.

I see this as a whole new low for AI "journalism".

Nah. You just have to make sure the title, H1 and text sequence between story 1 and story 2 are slightly different. Google will crawl, index and it'll go towards page count.

Nice hack job i'd say
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

This is complete BS!

Sony owns most of the music on itunes. Apple gives Sony music to sell their sh**. Ha ha! To the uninitiated this must seem like a battle of the titans, but it ain't.

Sony IS itunes, based on their percentage of the music it owns on itunes.

Now that's how you think deeply!

Oh bullshit...

Sony and Universal each have a 27-28% share of music sold worldwide... why would Sony's share on iTunes be any greater.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

A sense of proportion might be in order.

You're asking posters/trolls who are against anything and everything Apple to have a sense of proportion? .... Good luck with that.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleAddict2011 View Post

While most of the AI article is just rehashed plagiarize AP, seemingly Katie Marsal decided to manufacture this little "fact" about Sony initially competing with iTunes. She just plain made it up, and then dishonestly attributed it to the AP.

why would someone do that anyway? doesn't that undermine one's credibility and highlights some other people's gullibility?