How to backup an SDHC card without a computer?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Not sure where to post this question but this forum seemed as good as any. My wife and I are going on a vacation in a couple of months and I expect to take a lot of pictures. I'm also hoping to not bring my laptop. Is there any way to backup the pictures from the SDHC card while I'm gone and without a computer? If the choice is between spending a few hundred bucks for some special device and bringing my computer, well I guess I'll just bring the computer.

Many thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Or just go get another couple bigger cards.

Or find an internet cafe that will let you upload to one of the photo sites direct from the camera.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Or just go get another couple bigger cards.

Or find an internet cafe that will let you upload to one of the photo sites direct from the camera.

Thanks Hiro. I'm not worried about running out of megabits but rather loss, corruption, etc. hence the idea of backing up while on vacation. We're traveling to Israel and I'll have to look into the availability of internet cafes. My concern along that front is lack of time/access. We'll be in a tour group and I don't think we have much down time.

IF a new iPad comes out before we leave and IF it has an SDHC slot, that would be a nice solution! I guess I'm looking for the next best idea with hardware short of a laptop (if there is such a thing).
  • Reply 3 of 8
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Thanks Hiro. I'm not worried about running out of megabits but rather loss, corruption, etc. hence the idea of backing up while on vacation. We're traveling to Israel and I'll have to look into the availability of internet cafes. My concern along that front is lack of time/access. We'll be in a tour group and I don't think we have much down time.

IF a new iPad comes out before we leave and IF it has an SDHC slot, that would be a nice solution! I guess I'm looking for the next best idea with hardware short of a laptop (if there is such a thing).

Two more variations then. The hotel you stay in may have a business center, that could substitute for an internet cafe.

Or the iPad does have a SD card adaptor, http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A. Sure it's not a slot in the iPad, but it's not like it's much weight either. From the reviews there might be a recent software issue so it might be good to try it at an Apple store before walking out the door.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Two more variations then. The hotel you stay in may have a business center, that could substitute for an internet cafe.

Or the iPad does have a SD card adaptor, http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A. Sure it's not a slot in the iPad, but it's not like it's much weight either. From the reviews there might be a recent software issue so it might be good to try it at an Apple store before walking out the door.

Thanks, I forgot about the card adapter for the iPad. I just may go that route (or lug the MacBook... have some time to decide). It may come down to whether v2 is released before we go.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Not sure where to post this question but this forum seemed as good as any. My wife and I are going on a vacation in a couple of months and I expect to take a lot of pictures. I'm also hoping to not bring my laptop. Is there any way to backup the pictures from the SDHC card while I'm gone and without a computer? If the choice is between spending a few hundred bucks for some special device and bringing my computer, well I guess I'll just bring the computer.

Many thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.

If you've got access to broadband internet in your hotel(s) - most have it these days - you could simply upload the contents of a full card, encrypted if you like, to a trusted email address back home overnight, for safekeeping until you get back. When the upload is finished you can erase and reuse the card, etc. etc.

Then your precious and irreplaceable photos are safe even if your gear gets lost, stolen, destroyed, or, god forbid, impounded by shifty 'authorities' (TSA anyone?).

So it's wise to do this even if you DO take your own MB or iPad along!

You could use free Large File Transfer services like www.wettransfer.com or www.sendfile.com.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

If you've got access to broadband internet in your hotel(s) - most have it these days - you could simply upload the contents of a full card, encrypted if you like, to a trusted email address back home overnight, for safekeeping until you get back. When the upload is finished you can erase and reuse the card, etc. etc.

Then your precious and irreplaceable photos are safe even if your gear gets lost, stolen, destroyed, or, god forbid, impounded by shifty 'authorities' (TSA anyone?).

So it's wise to do this even if you DO take your own MB or iPad along!

You could use free Large File Transfer services like www.wettransfer.com or www.sendfile.com.

Yes, I'll have access to the internet from hotels though hotels are notoriously bad for actual internet "speed", especially in the evenings. What I really don't know is if I'll have access to the internet without my own computer and that's even assuming that a hotel would let me plug in a card reader to their computer. Doubt I'd bother to use something like WeTransfer or send-file if the files are backed up on my own computer anyway. It's looking more and more like I'll have to lug it along.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    While travelling your photos are never safe as long as you have them in your possession. Gear can be insured and replaced. Your photos cannot. They are totally unique and irreplaceable.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

While travelling your photos are never safe as long as you have them in your possession. Gear can be insured and replaced. Your photos cannot. They are totally unique and irreplaceable.

That's a good point. At a minimum, I think I should try for a redundant backup. I'm sure I won't be the only one on the trip with a laptop (as it's looking like I'll have to bring mine) and so maybe we can store the SDHC backups on multiple computers as an extra layer of protection.