HP's Jon Rubinstein slams Android, takes on Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Quote:

"If anything," Rubinstein added, "I'd say Android is based on Java, which is actually sort of more backward looking. We took a real leap forward in doing what we did. It's very similar to what the Chrome guys are doing at Google."

Wow Daniel, this is your "HP's Jon Rubinstein slams Android"? Talk about sensationalism and troll bating for page hits. Don't you complain about this with the Wintrolls like Paul Thurrott?

How low will you go?

You and your headline are full of it and can go to hell.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Rubenstein is correct. His WebOS is more different than iPhone than most other cloners.

And for a short time it was even better at some stuff than the earlier iPhones. It took a little getting used to there swipe use. But in a little while, anyone could learn it.

And NO ONE COULD BEAT THEIR MULTI-TASKING.

Apple has got there certain way of doing it. But Palm (I think) is done better.

The biggest problem with Palm, was they never really showed it off. Instead they decided on those pretty commercials. Everybody had there eyes and ears listening to Apple's masterful advertising.

Palm went down faster than the Titanic.

They have one last chance with HP. If they do it well Hardware Wise, they at this moment will have something very comparable to the iPad in the ease of use. (except for all the Apps of course).

Google is of to a slow start with the Android not intended for the Netbook rationale.

RIMM, also is targetting the Enterprise crowd.

Microsoft, has a lot to offer with all the stuff they are including on their phone.

So the road is clear for PalmHP to give it one last big push.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I wouldn't describe USB as "widely available" at the time. USB was quite a rarity and Apple helped accelerate it's adoption throughout the wider industry.

Part of the problem was stupid Microsoft. Win98 had it to start with, but Win95 had it only via a newer OEM only version. In the fall of 1998, came out the first USB printers and scanners.

For that matter, USB wasn't really that ready to go until version 1.1.

While it is true that it was quite a shake up to have only USB ports on any computer, come on, what was the market share of Macs at that time? Who cared about Apple back in 1998?
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Remember, this is the guy who proudly claimed to have never used the iPhone, despite the fact that Palm's webOS was in direct competition with iOS and that trying the iPhone would have been in the best interest of competitive analysis.

For this reason alone, Rubinstein is a blathering idiot. Palm shareholders should consider him the reason why the company is no longer an independent business.

He is not CEO material nor he should not be an executive of a technology division.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Actually, thats not true. HTML, etc. are standards, and not technologies per se. You can have different execution technologies that reads those standards differently.

I still think that WebOS was the best Mobile OS created yet. I think Rubenstein is right though. They did not have the resources or scale to move fast enough in the market. As they would take a step to get closer to teh other OS'es, the other OS'es would take a leap and continue outpacing them.

And he is also right that Android is a complete knockoff of iOS as far as design and concept goes. That is clearly not true of WebOS, and I don't think its true of WP7 either. WP7's interface concept predates the iPhone (Zune). After using it, however, I think its really confusing, but worse, makes too much use of the Swipe gesture, which is my least favorite one, to be honest.

The fact that you can implement them in different ways doesn't change my point. They're limited compared to client-side APIs. They're not designed for the tasks people are using them for (apps). They're not the best technologies. If you have a device capable of running native apps, you're much better off running native apps than web apps or even a mix of native code and web-based stuff. People spend a lot of time trying to make web apps behave like client-side apps and most of that time is spent getting around the limitations of HTML, javascript, etc.

BTW, the original Zune (the brown one) had a different interface and was released in late 2006. I'm pretty sure the first Zune with the UI similar to WP7 was the 2nd gen version released in late 2007 after the iPhone. It still wasn't touch-based though; the graphical style was just similar.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I think HP is using the right strategy by focusing on a WebOS tablet now that it’s a new market. I think MS should have done the same with WP7 OS to help solidify there new mobile OS as real contender in the emerging tablet market.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    "Rubinstein said that he's still never used the iPhone "as his own device" or extensively on a regular basis, arguing that he didn't want to be distracted at Palm in his efforts to build the the new webOS on "a blank sheet of paper, from the ground up."

Rubinstein added, "we wanted to have a unique experience with it. And so instead of just copying what everyone else does, we thought through the fundamentals, starting with Palm's original DNA, to create a really unique experience. And I think we've absolutely accomplished that."

soooooo....

get a blank sheet of paper, then start with what palm has already done.

got it.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:

get a blank sheet of paper, then start with what palm has already done.

got it.

Simple easy to use PDA? Swipe gestures for copy, cut and paste? Easy syncing to a computer? Graffiti? Expansion slots at his company at Handspring? I mean, the whole concept of Apple's home button to exit programs was Palm's way of doing things.

Course Palm sitting still with Garnet and letting WinMob take over was just frustrating. First they ditched Cobalt, then they wanted to do Linux, then they did that whole stupid tablet, and then the hardware for the palm pre was just junk - chicklet keyboards are so 10 years ago.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

This is really going to confuse the fandroids.

Seeing as how anything at all said against Android, Google or Adobe Flash seems to automatically throw one into the hypnotised, isheep, kool aid drinking, Apple fanboy camp blinded by the reality distortion field, a mere minion parroting the words of one S. Jobs.

How HP, Palm, WebOS and Rubinstein will fit into this paradigm may cause some heads to explode.

Well, done AI.

Are you nuts, or what? I'm glad I don't live in your universe.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Venerable View Post

If he's serious about not having used the iPhone then he's truly an idiot. Studying a device that's sold in the tens of millions shouldn't be an impediment to designing his OS "from scratch." It's pretty essential to the learning process.

He's lying through his corporate teeth. Besides he was a KEY Apple manager. He knows everything about Apple.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Sarcasm isn't your cup of tea. I found his reply to be entertaining.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Jon continues to show how come he doesn't have it to be a visionary and his mouth tends to make a liar of himself.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    It's got to suck for many in this field.

Always being compared to Steve Jobs, whether it's just or hot.

Your phone isn't as good as Apple, (Steve's iPhone)

Your tablet isn't even close to the iPad (Steve's iPad)

"Your no Steve Jobs ; and so on. I hate it when folks say stuff like that to me, about my brother, and can't even begin to wonder what these guys / ladies / companies feel like, when everything they do, is compared to Apple / Steve Jobs.

EVEN if they come up with something new and exciting, it's going to be because they need to;

- One up Steve Jobs

- Be better then Apple

- This only came about, because of Apple

- That's pretty forward thinking - something Steve jobs would have done, and oh yeah, when he makes it better, and sells it under the Apple name, it WILL be better, and it will out sell all others.

Think about folks ? it's just got to suck!

Skip ie, Kurk's brother
  • Reply 34 of 48
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I wouldn't describe USB as "widely available" at the time. USB was quite a rarity and Apple helped accelerate it's adoption throughout the wider industry.

And unfortunately gave Intel the change to come out with USB 2.0, which caused the decline of Firewire. Had the original iMac had Firewire and USB, those two interfaces would have likely been the defacto standard for fast and slow interfaces, respectively, as they were designed to be. Now, USB is the standard for most PCs, but it is not well designed for low latency transfers, especially in mixed USB 1.x and 2.0 environments. I think the exclusion of Firewire was the biggest mistake on that computer.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

This is really going to confuse the fandroids.

Seeing as how anything at all said against Android, Google or Adobe Flash seems to automatically throw one into the hypnotised, isheep, kool aid drinking, Apple fanboy camp blinded by the reality distortion field, a mere minion parroting the words of one S. Jobs.

How HP, Palm, WebOS and Rubinstein will fit into this paradigm may cause some heads to explode.

Well, done AI.

Wow, a company employee takes swipes at at their biggest competition's products. That's original. If he'd just gone into attack mode again iOS/iPhone, you'd be calling the man an idiot. It amazes me how opinion of people here changes on whether they chose to insult Apple or an Apple competitor. Last week I think it was, people here were singing Steve Balmer's praises for attacking Google and Android (that was a weird one for me).

And just to stave off the usual retorts, I'm not a "Fandroid", or a "Microsoftie", I don't even own an actual smart phone, nor am I an employee of any company in the private sector. I'm just someone who's sick of seeing the usual "Apple = Good, Everyone Else = Crap" mentality that pervades this site.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Hmm, I liked the "weird lady" (Canadian actress Tamara Hope) marketing.

It was the actual Pre product that didn't tempt me.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Why are you criticizing a man who apparently was critical to the growth of Apple? You got a problem with his statements in the article, thats fine, no need to bash the man. He was smart enough to work at Apple, how many of you can say that?
  • Reply 38 of 48
    It amuses me how he uses phrases charicteristic of Steve Jobs:

Quote:

we thought through the fundamentals, starting with Palm's original DNA, to create a really unique experience

In fact, if anything, I'd say webOS is the most advanced mobile operating system out there."

DNA, most advanced operating system. Sounds familair

What Id really love to know is why he left Apple in 2004 and why Avie Tevanian left
  • Reply 39 of 48
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

In my universe, there's a word:- 'satire' in the dictionary, hey maybe you can check to see if it's there in your universe too.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Would love to see WebOS succeed, but it still does not look good for it.