New cases lend support to larger speaker on Apple's second-gen iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Another leaked second-generation iPad case from overseas shows a large opening on the lower left side of the back of the device, this time with an illustration of a speaker grille.

Alibaba.com, a global online business-to-business trading platform, is currently offering silicon cases for the "iPad 2." Like previously revealed cases, these have a spot on the back for a camera, as well as a hole in the bottom left rear side.

While a previous report suggested the space would be home to an SD card slot, a new report from this week said that the new iPad would instead have a wide-range speaker on its back side. It also said the back of the new iPad would be "flat like an iPod touch."

The latest case has an illustration with a speaker grille in the spot on the back, lending support to the rumor that the next-generation iPad will have an improved speaker. It was said the speaker on the back side is covered with a "metal mesh."

The previous report also alleged that the new iPad will retain the same 9.7-inch LCD display, but the device will be 3mm smaller, measuring 239mm by 186mm. It also said that the ambient light sensor in the new iPad will also be moved to the "upper center of the rear panel."

The new iPad is expected to have dual cameras, with a forward-facing one to be used for FaceTime video chat. FaceTime debuted this year on the iPhone, and eventually came to the new iPod touch and Mac OS X.

Reports have claimed that production of the new iPad is underway and overseas suppliers will begin shipping the device to Apple in January.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    You would think after being singled out as a leak, case vendors would be careful about this sort of thing. I can't see a reason why Apple would want these leaks, seems like it might hurt holiday sales.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    To put it bluntly iPad needs vastly overhauled electronics to be a worthwhile in 2011. So what we really need is leaks on the internals.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

To put it bluntly iPad needs vastly overhauled electronics to be a worthwhile in 2011. So what we really need is leaks on the internals.

I'm not sure I agree but I'm not really sure which internals you are talking about.

Personally, I'd be happy to see the same iPad, but lighter, not made of metal, and a tad thinner. More memory would be good which I guess is an "internal."

I am mostly disappointed with the software as I use mine for writing and there just isn't much in the way of decent writing software, nor is there anything really good in terms of getting documents onto and off of the thing (at least not without buying into some third party syncing solution).

I'm also a bit disappointed about the "improved" speaker in that I don't personally need a speaker at all on the iPad at all really and it seems like it's is going to be terribly ugly and possibly cause problems in bad weather.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Well, I can't wait to get my hands on the second generation iPad. I have an iPad Wi-Fi 3G 64GB that I love...this thing can only get better. See you soon eBay!
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm not sure I agree but I'm not really sure which internals you are talking about.

Personally, I'd be happy to see the same iPad, but lighter, not made of metal, and a tad thinner. More memory would be good which I guess is an "internal."

I am mostly disappointed with the software as I use mine for writing and there just isn't much in the way of decent writing software, nor is there anything really good in terms of getting documents onto and off of the thing (at least not without buying into some third party syncing solution).

I'm also a bit disappointed about the "improved" speaker in that I don't personally need a speaker at all on the iPad at all really and it seems like it's is going to be terribly ugly and possibly cause problems in bad weather.

I'm not trying to be a troll here, honest. But, it seems that you bought the wrong device. I don't think anyone would agree that the iPad was built for writing. Isn't the iPad more of a media consumption device? That would support the decision to go with an upgraded speaker. Just some thoughts.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Yea right

Apple will put the speaker on back where no one can hear it ... right where many people grap the ipad. Doesn't take a genius to find out this is bull.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Yea right

Apple will put the speaker on back where no one can hear it ... right where many people grap the ipad. Doesn't take a genius to find out this is bull.

i know! what's next? they put macbook speakers on the back of the machine? or iPhone speakers on the bottom???

...oh wait
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:

His, apparently -- since he seems to have the urge to leak on them.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

i know! what's next? they put macbook speakers on the back of the machine? or iPhone speakers on the bottom???

...oh wait

If you see anyone use an iPad they grip it toward the bottom, or they lay it on their lap. Either way the speaker will be blocked. Right handed people will grap the ipad with the left hand right where that speaker is and use the right hand for the touching. No way the speaker is going there unless apple engineering has gone completely insane.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    What really make this realistic is that the camera lens is bigger than the home button on the front. Yea, I'm sure that will happen.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:

Really? I am quite happy with the speed of the unit. I do not care how much ram, how many cores or what mhz the unit is operating at. The iPad is not running inefficient Windows, it is running iOS.

The Ipad's battery life is amazing so do not need a change there.

The only think I want.... cameras and a built in SD slot. That is it.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    IF that's a speaker and IF the back is flat i don't buy it. SJ boasted about putting the speaker on the BOTTOM of the original iphone, saying it's much better than having a speaker on the back, where it won't work when sitting on a surface. perhaps the back bevels to become all flat in the middle?
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:

If you see anyone use an iPad they grip it toward the bottom, or they lay it on their lap.

I'm apparently not anyone, as I've never used mine like that.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:

If you see anyone use an iPad they grip it toward the bottom, or they lay it on their lap. Either way the speaker will be blocked. Right handed people will grap the ipad with the left hand right where that speaker is and use the right hand for the touching. No way the speaker is going there unless apple engineering has gone completely insane.

Right handed people grab it with their left hand, which is right where that speaker isn't. It's on the left when looking at the back, which means it's on the right when looking at the front.

Regardless, I think this is a mockup... although I really would be surprised if Apple were to put an SD card slot on this... besides it being ugly, they sell bigger versions... for more money!
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

I'm not trying to be a troll here, honest. But, it seems that you bought the wrong device. I don't think anyone would agree that the iPad was built for writing. Isn't the iPad more of a media consumption device? That would support the decision to go with an upgraded speaker. Just some thoughts.

Possibly you are right. Time will tell.

The iPad is being advertised as, and is seen as by Apple as a sort of mobile computer that can be used for productivity, writing etc.

Even though it's pretty awful, Apple actually makes the only useable word processor for it (Pages), so it seems they intend it to be used for productive purposes of some kind and for writing specifically. I tend to agree with you however that in practice, the iPad is primarily a passive media consumption device, at least so far and for most people.

However, I see the iPad as the first (or perhaps second) device of an entirely new platform, so I believe *eventually* it will be useable as a real computer, and *eventually* that will be it's primary use, and *eventually* it will replace the need for a desktop computer. How long that takes and how frustrating it gets along the way however, I couldn't venture a guess at.

I almost gave up on using the thing at all but 4.2.1 made it borderline useable. I currently write between 500 and 1,000 words a day on it, and use it exclusively for that purpose. It's difficult, but possible.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

Hmm, if the iPad 2 is not just 3 month away I would buy a second right now. Kids fight for the iPad and wife also loves it. The only things I really care are thinner and lighter.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    I will buy if has USB ports.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    I think it won't be a speaker grill. Apple is too smart for that. I'd think they take a cue from the old MacBook air. Have a drop down latch with an sd card slot and or micro USB. It's logical if you wanna add more ports and not increase thickness. Remember part of apple's ideals may be quality but just as importantly in their decisions are design and form factor.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:

Possibly you are right. Time will tell.

The iPad is being advertised as, and is seen as by Apple as a sort of mobile computer that can be used for productivity, writing etc.

Even though it's pretty awful, Apple actually makes the only useable word processor for it (Pages), so it seems they intend it to be used for productive purposes of some kind and for writing specifically. I tend to agree with you however that in practice, the iPad is primarily a passive media consumption device, at least so far and for most people.

However, I see the iPad as the first (or perhaps second) device of an entirely new platform, so I believe *eventually* it will be useable as a real computer, and *eventually* that will be it's primary use, and *eventually* it will replace the need for a desktop computer. How long that takes and how frustrating it gets along the way however, I couldn't venture a guess at.

I almost gave up on using the thing at all but 4.2.1 made it borderline useable. I currently write between 500 and 1,000 words a day on it, and use it exclusively for that purpose. It's difficult, but possible.

Pardon me, but when did reading become a non-productive activity, a form of "passive consumption" that gets lumped in (apparently) with being a couch potato in front of the tube? Did something happen to this concept when I wasn't paying attention?

If I were to use the iPad for writing (not my only productive activity, I hope), then I'd probably want to try a physical keyboard. I can't get any kind of typing speed going with the virtual keyboard.

And don't even get me started on the "real computer" thing.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I think we?ve been over this before. The performance of the device isn?t based on some spec sheet listing of which has the fastest HW in some specific categories when you?re dealing with disparate OSes. We just have to look at the iOS v. Android WiFi speed tests to see how slow HW can be when using inefficient code. One thing I am certain of that the next iPad will feel faster than its competitors? and that?s what matters to customers, not some the number of cycles per second the CPU has or some other such measure.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

...oh wait

Touche!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

I will buy if has USB ports.

All iDevices already transmit data over USB, they just don?t use any of the USB port interfaces. Not a big deal, otherwise iDevices would have never saturated the market.

Your post does exclude which USB port(s) you want? I think there are at least USB-A, USB-B, mini-USB-A, mini-USB-B, micro-USB-A, and micro-USB-B interfaces. So which one does Apple use? And what if use a standard USB port and people plug an external HDD into the port because they naturally assume that anything plugged into a standard USB port should jut work like with a typical desktop OS? These things need to be considered.