Fan noise

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When I use flash applications my fan starts to make a sound after about 5 minutes.This started recently.I have a MBP 13 inch I bought 6 months ago. Why is this happening? thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Flash sucks. End of thread.

Download the Flash 10.2 beta for the best performance, but there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING you can do about it heating up your CPU and spinning up your fans.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Flash sucks. End of thread.

Download the Flash 10.2 beta for the best performance, but there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING you can do about it heating up your CPU and spinning up your fans.

What is the temperature of the CPU normally? When I watch news shows and cnn news and you tube the noise from the fan is loud and the cpu goes up to 162 degrees farenheit.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

What is the temperature of the CPU normally? When I watch news shows and cnn news and you tube the noise from the fan is loud and the cpu goes up to 162 degrees farenheit.

That's even on the cool side for what Apple allows.

Get Click2Plugin, download the Flash 10.2 beta, and join the HTML5 Trial on YouTube, at least.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

That's even on the cool side for what Apple allows.

Get Click2Plugin, download the Flash 10.2 beta, and join the HTML5 Trial on YouTube, at least.

You are actually telling me this is normal to hear this fan noise loud.You are a avid fan of Mac I see and quite informative to. Where I live they are pure dumb about Macs.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

You are actually telling me this is normal to hear this fan noise loud.You are a avid fan of Mac I see and quite informative to. Where I live they are pure dumb about Macs.

Oh, I don't know about your fans, as I can't hear them, don't know their current speed, and can't tell how many decibels are being put out, but I can tell you that the temperature you're getting is within safe operating limits.

Ambient temperature also has an effect on the safe performance of the computer. I know little the seasonal variation in climate in the Philippines, but if the room you're in is even moderately hot, the computer might ramp up the fan speed to compensate.

There are fan speed utilities out there that will let you manually set fan speed, but I've always found them dangerous, as you yourself would have to know exactly what speeds keep the temperature safely low.

Oh! I just thought of it! Try resetting your PRAM. Sometimes PRAM errors cause fans to spin up when they don't need to!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Oh, I don't know about your fans, as I can't hear them, don't know their current speed, and can't tell how many decibels are being put out, but I can tell you that the temperature you're getting is within safe operating limits.

Ambient temperature also has an effect on the safe performance of the computer. I know little the seasonal variation in climate in the Philippines, but if the room you're in is even moderately hot, the computer might ramp up the fan speed to compensate.

There are fan speed utilities out there that will let you manually set fan speed, but I've always found them dangerous, as you yourself would have to know exactly what speeds keep the temperature safely low.

Oh! I just thought of it! Try resetting your PRAM. Sometimes PRAM errors cause fans to spin up when they don't need to!

I reset the PRAM and the problem did not go away.My room is hot in the afternoon not in the am where I am at the computer 5 hours each morning.This never happened before just now. I have the MBP hooked into an AVR would this cause the fan to make a loud noise when watching the MSNBC news programs? Thanks