iPad tops Mossberg's list of best reviewed products of 2010

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Technology journalist Walt Mossberg listed the iPad as his best reviewed product of the year, while he called out the Dell Streak and Google TV as the worst products of 2010.

Calling Apple's successful tablet device "amazing," Mossberg wrote that the iOS 4.2 update and huge selection of apps help the iPad "to stay ahead of the competition."

As promised, Apple released the iOS 4.2 update for the iPad in November, adding multitasking, Game Center, AirPlay and a number of other features to the device. "iOS 4.2 makes the iPad a completely new product," Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said of the update.

Mossberg gave the No. 2 slot on the list to 4G networks, noting that today's 3G networks are "bursting at the seams." 4G networks, which are still being expanded, are "something to watch closely in 2011," he said.

Highlighting the growing rivalry between Google Android and Apple's iPhone, Mossberg called third place a tie between the Samsung Galaxy S and the iPhone 4. For Mossberg, the Galaxy S "is representative of the powerful force that Android has become within the smartphone marketplace." On the other hand, the iPhone 4, even with all the new competition and the antenna controversy, is "still the best overall smartphone," said Mossberg.

6 weeks after his initial positive review of the iPhone 4, Mossberg published a follow-up, standing by his initial review. Though he took issue with the iPhone 4's reception on the AT&T network, he continued to praise the smartphone as "the best device in its class."

On Time magazine's top 10 gadgets of 2010 list, the Samsung Galaxy S took second, behind the iPad. The iPhone 4 came in sixth place on Time's list.

Mossberg named the Android-based Dell Streak his worst reviewed product of 2010, calling it a "tweener." The tablet, which was meant to take on the iPad, received a "thumbs-down" from the journalist for being too big for a phone and too small for a tablet.

The second worst reviewed product of 2010, according to Mossberg, was Google TV. Reviewers, including Mossberg, found Google's entry into the living room "chaotic" and "complicated."

Google TV has seen several setbacks in recent weeks. According to The New York Times, Google has asked TV makers to hold off on introducing new Google TV products, catching some manufacturers off guard. A new report from a component supplier claims that Logitech has halted shipments of its Revue Google TV box while it waits for an update, which is expected in late February or March "at the earliest."

In a June interview with Mossberg, Jobs predicted Google TV's current struggles, noting that the current situation with cable operators "pretty much squashes any opportunity for innovation because nobody's willing to buy a set top box."

"Ask Tivo, ask Replay TV, ask Roku, ask Vudu, ask us? ask Google in a few months," he said.

"The only way that's ever going to change," Jobs said, "is if you can really go back to square one, tear up the set top box, redesign it from scratch with a consistent UI across all these different functions, and get it to consumers in a way that they're willing to pay for it. And right now there's no way to do that."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I'm looking forward to 2011's release of iPad 2.0 where I finally purchase one for myself and another as a gift. We've both been waiting patiently.

The Dell streak was an accident waiting to happen. The name itself is perfect for what it left when it hit the pavement hard. GoogleTV was just painful to watch when they introduced it. I certainly do not discount Google when they release GTV2.0, but they don't seem to get that the entertainment industry is built on relationships and as written in an article about the failure of GTV, Google seems to have an issue socializing with people and forging partnerships.

Even with all the Apple-haters and trolls infecting every thread and article in vain to cast Apple in a bad light, 2010 has been a great year for Apple and I think 2011 will be even better! Go AAPL!

Happy holidays to all!
  • Reply 2 of 63
    Yeah, I must say that I am an Apple advocate for sure. But the iPad further stabilized my impression of Apple as an industry innovator. I love my iPad but I'm ecstatic about iPad 2.0 as well. See ya soon eBay!
  • Reply 3 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

I love my iPad but I'm ecstatic about iPad 2.0 as well. See ya soon eBay!

Heh heh. Same here.

But not before mine .....
  • Reply 4 of 63
    The sooner GoogleTV crashes and burns, the sooner Google can redesign the product to be something worth buying.

The next frontier is not working with cable companies, it's replacing them. It's better to wait on the sidelines until that time comes.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

Yeah, I must say that I am an Apple advocate for sure. But the iPad further stabilized my impression of Apple as an industry innovator. I love my iPad but I'm ecstatic about iPad 2.0 as well. See ya soon eBay!

The iPad2 will likely be fully worthy of Steve's endearing label "it's magical" and secure its position as the the biggest game changer since the personal computer's arrival 30 years ago. I recently sold my iPad1 on eBay for very close to what I paid for it 6 months earlier as I eagerly await its successor which I'm hoping arrives late February. Truly a triple play in dominating the competition with the iPod then the iPhone and now the iPad. Long live Apple and Steve Jobs!
  • Reply 6 of 63
    Google needs to hire one guy who is not an engineer whose job will be to say "Guys, this product sucks" whenever an actual, prototype, or proposed Google product sucks. Then, Google of course has to listen. This will help improve Google's products a million fold.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    I agree with the posts above...Google always seems in a rush and only ends up providing crap, just like MS used to do!

Dell reminds me of the way Gateway floundered around until they went bust or were bought by someone...I can't remember which.

I know they are smart guys but I can't listen to Schmidt, Balmer, the Dell dude, or the RIM CEO.

Compared to Jobs they talk gibberish.

Stevo is direct and to the point. Sometimes that is misconstrued as arrogance. But, personally, I find it quite refreshing. Thank you very much!

Can't wait for the next iPad also...just bought TomTom for my iPhone 4 and it is stupendous and it's only $39! (no affiliation, just passing along a great app) I was going to reluctantly buy a stand alone GPS. But after looking at them at Target....Uggh! What lousy interfaces, more cables, chargers, etc.

I'm so glad I stuck to my original plan....everything in the iPhone, camera (with flash), video, email, notes, maps, dropbox, Tune-in radio app (FM radio) iPod, calculator, weather, stocks, my real estate ekey, contacts, calendar, TM, internet, online banking, 1Password, Redlaser, YouTube, Nike GPS (for running) and a lot more. I gave away my iPods, sold my camera, didn't buy a GPS or a Flip video camera...sold my Mophie battery pack (for my 3Gs) because the iPhone 4 has 40% more battery life...And sold my iPhone 3Gs for $200 to get my iPhone 4....pretty good deal!

Best and happy holidays to all you guys (and gals)! Happy new year, too!

Chris
  • Reply 8 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I know they are smart guys but I can't listen to Schmidt, Balmer, the Dell dude, or the RIM CEO.

Stevo is direct and to the point. Sometimes that is misconstrued as arrogance. But, personally, I find it quite refreshing. Thank you very much!

This is so true.

How refreshing it would be to hear CEOs abandon their corporate-speak. So many of these guys mouth thousands of words without saying a darn thing.

OTOH, SJ simply has to say two or three words, for instance, something like 'get over it,' and people mine it for all kinds of meaning!

Must drive his competitors nuts.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    The Dell streak would have been a better device if it came out with either a 4.0-inch screen, or a 4.3-inch screen. It would also helped more if it would have debuted with Android 2.1. As for Google TV, it really is a flop. Google really shouldn't have rushed this product and those keyboards are just painful. Especially the Sony keyboard. 2011 is really going to be a interesting year."4G" networks, new line up of WebOS devices, Windows Phone 7 improving, new Android devices to compete with the other type of smartphones, new tablets featuring WebOS and Android 3.0, iPad 2 making it's debut, and of course, a new iPhone will makes it debut as well. Ladies and Gentlemen, place your bets because this marathon between mobile devices will be none like you ever seen before!

Oh and Happy Holidays/MerryChristmas! Hope you got the present you wanted.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post

Walt Mossberg is certainly not impartial.

> Technology journalist Walt Mossberg listed the iPad as his best reviewed product

> of the year, while he called out the Dell Streak and Google TV as the worst products of 2010.

> Calling Apple's successful tablet device "amazing," Mossberg wrote that the iOS 4.2 update

> and huge selection of apps help the iPad "to stay ahead of the competition."

Mossberg gets nearly always excited about anything from Apple, but the iPad lacks Adobe Flash and in today's web that's a disadvantage. And a USB 3.0 connection would be great. I love Apple products, but it's sad to see that Apple stopped being a real innovator.

> As promised, Apple released the iOS 4.2 update for the iPad in November, adding

> multitasking, Game Center, AirPlay and a number of other features to the device.

> "iOS 4.2 makes the iPad a completely new product," Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs

> said of the update.

I am disappointed about Apple's definition of multitasking. Besides I don't need Game Center and I am not sure what 'AirPlay' is supposed to be... I guess it should read AirPrint.

Mossberg gave the No. 2 slot on the list to 4G networks, noting that today's 3G networks are "bursting at the seams." 4G networks, which are still being expanded, are "something to watch closely in 2011," he said.

> Highlighting the growing rivalry between Google Android and Apple's iPhone,

> Mossberg called third place a tie between the Samsung Galaxy S and the iPhone 4.

> For Mossberg, the Galaxy S "is representative of the powerful force that Android has become within the smartphone marketplace."

> On the other hand, the iPhone 4, even with all the new competition and the antenna

> controversy, is "still the best overall smartphone," said Mossberg.

The antenna controversy is another sad sign that Apple prefers design instead of usability.

> 6 weeks after his initial positive review of the iPhone 4, Mossberg published a follow-up,

> standing by his initial review. Though he took issue with the iPhone 4's reception on the

> AT&T network, he continued to praise the smartphone as "the best device in its class."

Without Adobe Flash it's certainly not the best device out there!

> On Time magazine's top 10 gadgets of 2010 list, the Samsung Galaxy S took second,

> behind the iPad. The iPhone 4 came in sixth place on Time's list.

(...)

Apple cares first and foremost about margins. And design allows Apple to overcharge for underspeced devices. The Apple Mac Pro is a perfect example for an overpriced device. Even the top of the line video card has just 1 GB, compare this for example with a Dell XPS 9100

Flash no matter how hard Adobe tries to fix this broken beast, it has lost that window and will become a relic.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    Hi Kasper.

If you keep banning IP addresses, you will begin to ban some of the most popular Starbuck's locations in a major Northeast city.

Just so you know.

And BTW, IP addresses are in infinite supply to me, so banning IPs does exactly nothing bad for me.

If you'd like, we can agree to just get along.

Hi Kasper.

If you keep banning IP addresses, you will begin to ban some of the most popular Starbuck's locations in a major Northeast city.

Just so you know.

And BTW, IP addresses are in infinite supply to me, so banning IPs does exactly nothing bad for me.

• Reply 12 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleAddict2011 View Post

Hi Kasper.

Just so you know.

Hi Kasper.

Just so you know.

Hi Kasper.

Just so you know.

• Reply 13 of 63
    Quote:

Hi Kasper.

Just so you know.

Hi Kasper.

Just so you know.

• Reply 14 of 63
    Quote:

Hi Kasper.

Just so you know.

Hi Kasper.

Just so you know.

• Reply 15 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Google needs to hire one guy who is not an engineer whose job will be to say "Guys, this product sucks" whenever an actual, prototype, or proposed Google product sucks. Then, Google of course has to listen. This will help improve Google's products a million fold.

It's interesting to watch such a company make so many mistakes. It is similar to Microsoft's history. The, 'we have succeeded so well once, obviously anything we put out there will be successful too' approach to marketing.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post

Walt Mossberg is certainly not impartial.

I won't quote the entire load of junk you wrote but talk about old, rehashed troll talking points! At least try finding some new rubbish
  • Reply 17 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I agree with the posts above...Google always seems in a rush and only ends up providing crap, just like MS used to do!

Dell reminds me of the way Gateway floundered around until they went bust or were bought by someone...I can't remember which.

Can't wait for the next iPad also...just bought TomTom for my iPhone 4 and it is stupendous and it's only $39! (no affiliation, just passing along a great app) I was going to reluctantly buy a stand alone GPS. But after looking at them at Target....Uggh! What lousy interfaces, more cables, chargers, etc.

I'm so glad I stuck to my original plan....everything in the iPhone, camera (with flash), video, email, notes, maps, dropbox, Tune-in radio app (FM radio) iPod, calculator, weather, stocks, my real estate ekey, contacts, calendar, TM, internet, online banking, 1Password, Redlaser, YouTube, Nike GPS (for running) and a lot more. I gave away my iPods, sold my camera, didn't buy a GPS or a Flip video camera...sold my Mophie battery pack (for my 3Gs) because the iPhone 4 has 40% more battery life...And sold my iPhone 3Gs for $200 to get my iPhone 4....pretty good deal!

Best and happy holidays to all you guys (and gals)! Happy new year, too!

Chris

TY and you too, and a Merry Christmas to you and all Apple fans from me
  • Reply 18 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is so true.

How refreshing it would be to hear CEOs abandon their corporate-speak. So many of these guys mouth thousands of words without saying a darn thing.

OTOH, SJ simply has to say two or three words, for instance, something like 'get over it,' and people mine it for all kinds of meaning!

Must drive his competitors nuts.

Yep, thanks...here's another example, "bag of hurt!" When Stevo described Blu-Ray..."DOA." When describing the RIM 7" sized tablet!

Best
  • Reply 19 of 63

This from Gruber:

... Sleep in heavenly peace.

Franz Gruber

http://www.carols.org.uk/silent_night.htm
  • Reply 20 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I won't quote the entire load of junk you wrote but talk about old, rehashed troll talking points! At least try finding some new rubbish

What he said... +1

I think the troll works for Best Buy or Radio Shack... all the sales reps at these stores go on and on about flash...